Being listened to

GailBelinda
GailBelinda Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I have recently had an X-ray on my hands. I asked my doctor what kind of arthritis I have and his reply was that it is the degenerative kind and there’s nothing that can be done and that diet won’t help !!! I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and fibromyalgia to add to the mix. I feel frustrated with the doctors 😱

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @GailBelinda

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a friendly and safe space to continue sharing with us all.

So you recently had an xray on your hands and was told by your doctor that you have degenerative arthritis and that nothing could be done and that diet won't help. You also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. You are feeling very frustrated with the doctors.

I can understand how frustrating it feels to be told you have yet something else to contend with, when you already have so much going on. When the dr said that diet wouldn't help, was he referring to a change of diet or your existing diet?

I've included a couple of links below with information that I think may be of interest to you. I'm sure when other members read your post though, they will be able to offer more advice and support.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to get involved.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• I spoke to my doctor over the phone and asked if I could do anything to help myself, such as diet etc. and he said that there was nothing that would change it or help it and I just had to learn to live with it. No help or advice offered !

• Fluffy
    Fluffy Member Posts: 3

Hi, I can empathise, similar conditions, osteoarthritis in spine and knees, currently seeing physio chronic inflamation of sacroilliac joints and suspect fibromyalgia, I have Ehlers Danlos and m.e. too. Ive suspected I have had fibromyalgia before but dismissed by physios and gp as everything due to Ehlers Danlos. Pain at mo is off scale physio is referring me to GP to request an appointment with a Rheumatologist. So I understand your pain and frustrations, I have found cutting out wheat and sugar to be of benefit but I guess food intelorences are an individual thing, I read about diet for fibromyalgia yesterday and similarly cut out refined sugar, also dairy and gluten. I love dairy but have done this before and did not feel any difference. Pain management is the thing for me too, physio has advised hot water bottle and hot baths help but to limit painkillers which I do anyway. I wish you all the best, happy to chat further if it helps

• Hi Fluffy

I too cut out wheat and I limit dairy and meat. I take CBD oil at night and I also drink a few teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar every day (diluted in water). It really seems to help. The doctor said nothing would make any difference, it’s so frustrating that they have this attitude and only want to push drugs onto you. I can’t take a lot of things as I’m allergic to lots of it. I’m going to ask my gp to refer me to rheumatology and see if they can answer some of my questions ! Hope you’re not too affected by the fluctuating weather 😊