Pain management

RuthyL
RuthyL Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I have been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis. It is really bad in my hands, wrists and shoulders. Not always but I get really bad days fairly regularly.

My GP told me to take paracetamol but to avoid Ibuprofen and Cocodamol because of side effects. Paracetamol barely touches the pain sometimes. Any recommendations appreciated please!!

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @RuthyL

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis. Your worst areas are your hands, wrists and shoulders. Its not bad every day but you do get really bad days on a fairly regular basis. Your GP told you to take paracetamol for the pain and to avoid ibuprofen and co-codamol because of their side effects but paracetamol barely touches the pain on a really bad day. Looking for recommendations from other members.

It sounds like you are really going through it and I have to say that if the pain is that bad, then you need to go back to your GP and be prescribed something for the really bad days. You can't be left in that kind of pain and need to have some guidance from your GP as to what you can take. I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations from other members which will be of help but you really do need to consult your GP even if its just to let them know how much pain you are really in!

Ive attached a couple of links for you below that I think may be useful to you so please do give them a read when you have a chance.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and do continue to get involved in the community. I'm sure you will get lots of great advice and recommendations from your fellow members.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• LynneP
    LynneP Member Posts: 4

I am also struggling with the pain of osteoarthritis in all my joints and my spine. Paracetamol no longer touches the pain, Ibuprofen gel 10% no longer does anything and don't want to get hooked on co-codamol as not good for your system either. does anyone know whether there are any medications through the gp that help with the pain of arthritis without affecting other things in your body. does anyone use cbd oil at all and if so what do they think of it. does it help at all?

• WendyAnne
    WendyAnne Member Posts: 6

My GP also recommended paracetamol, which doesn't do anything for the severe osteoarthritis in my fingers. I now use Actimas B&C Joint Rub which contains Boswellia and Cammiphora ( frankincense and myrrh ) which is an ancient treatment for arthritis. I am so glad that I found this, I find it really does ease the pain in my fingers, and is more soothing than brufen 10% gel.