Injection

Hi, I am on 300mg of cosentyx (secukinumab) I have been on it for about 5 years and feel it is not working as well as it did. My joints are hurting all the time. What other injections are out there that you can recommend?

Comments

• Hi@Billy123

Thanks for your post to the Helpline.

Secukinumab is a biologic drug offered for some specific inflammatory conditions. I'm not sure what kind of condition you are affected by, and that will help us to mention some of the other treatments which may be offered.

Secukinumab | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org)

Conditions | Types of arthritis, causes, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Some arthritis conditions may be monitored using more than just regular blood tests, so your rheumatology team need to understand what's happening and then you may want to describe what you've experienced and see if they will want to use images or scans as well as blood tests to see evidence of your condition being less well controlled. This process will help provide helpful information. If you are having difficulty with any of this, do ring us on 0800 5200 520 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm so we can try to support you.

Kind regards

Guy - Helpline Team

• Billy123
    Billy123 Member Posts: 6

Hi, I have Psoriatic arthritis

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Hi Billy,

There are several biologics available and your rheumatologist is the person best placed to decide which would work best for you. They know most about your health issues.

Do you know how your recent blood tests have been?

I suggest you ring your rheumatology helpline and ask for advice. I hope they can help.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Billy123

I did cannot get an appointment until the 01/07

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I didn't mean for an appointment, just for a telephone chat with the rheumatology nurse. He/she will have access to your notes and know how the blood tests are.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Billy123

Hi, I take a pain killer called Etoricoxib 90mg.

I have had a flare up for the last 4 weeks that I can’t seem to get under control. Is it ok to take this drug until the 08/06 when I have my appointment with the injection clinic? Also is it ok to increase it to 120mg

• Hi @Billy123

Thank you again for posting on the forum I am so sorry to hear that you’ve had a flare up for the last for 4 weeks. You would need to ask your rheumatology team/medical professional about whether you can increase Etoricoxib to 120mg as well as the other questions you have. Unfortunately, this is not something we can answer for you as we are not medically trained.

If at any point you would like to talk to us on our helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am – 6pm) please give us a call, here we can talk informally and in confidence.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team