Pre total hip replacement

Options
jdmaxxxx
jdmaxxxx Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

My name is John and I suffer from arthritis in my right hip. I have been dealing with this for quite some time now and have finally realized that it's time to get a hip replacement done as I'm 62 years old and I try to work out regularly but the hip is now at the point that it hurts badly all day every day. Today while trying to walk heel to toe I got a sharp pain shoot through the top of my hip that made me shout out in pain and continued to do so every so many steps. So I'm back on crutches now to take the weight off my leg. I also get the pains in my knee and back. I pretty much figured those were indirectly related to my hip. I have been through a total knee replacement in 2015 I got through that with a lot of positive energy and doing all the prescribed exercises daily. I just want to get this surgery done so I can rehab it and stop feeling pain literally every day.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @jdmaxxxx

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have arthritis in your right hip and the pain has gotten so bad that you are now back on crutches so that you can limit the weight you are having to bare. You have come to the realisation that you think it is time you had your hip replaced. You have had a total knee replacement in 2015 and got through it with lots of positive energy and sticking to the prescribed exercises.

Are you planning on going through the nhs or privately. I know that the nhs waiting times are pretty horrendous at the moment depending on the area that you live. I personally had my hip and knee replacements through the nhs and can't fault the care that I was given.

I've attached some information below with regards to hip replacement surgery which you may find useful.

I've also included some information on managing your pain that you may also find useful while waiting for your operation.

Please let us know how you are getting on and do keep getting involved in the community.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)