Hip and knee pain

I'm 46 and have osteoarthritis in my hips and back I'm on tramadol for the pain and paracetamol and naproxen .

Recently when driving manual car my right leg starts hurting in my hips and knee to the point it's hard for me to drive safely I find it hard to press the throttle and break . It happens about 30 mins in to me driving please can I have some advice what to do as I don't want to give up driving as it's my independence gone please help

Comments

• Dear Cathybird

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that osteoarthritis is causing so much pain when you drive and understand the worry it is causing you. We have information about driving with arthritis on our website and I have put a link to this below. It may be helpful to contact Driving Mobility, they are a charity and their centres offer professional information and assessment so disabled people can gain or retain independence and can provide a range of mobility assessment services and advice on adaptations to overcome physical problems with vehicle control.

They cover techniques and adaptations to get in and out of a car and can provide driving assessments where the assessor can give advice on how to make driving easier and gadgets which might help. I have also put links below to our information about pain and arthritis as there may be information that may help you in managing your pain. I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Driving

Driving Mobility

Managing your pain

Kind Regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• Cathybird
    Cathybird Member Posts: 3

Thank you so much it's so helpful.x

• Hi Cathy

If your condition has changed - from your message it sounds as though the driving issue is new - it can be helpful to see a healthcare professional (such as a physiotherapist) as they can give you updated advice on exercise and keeping moving, pain control etc which all combined can be very helpful.

If you'd like any further information why not ring us here at the Helpline on 0800 5200 520 and we can help.

all the best

Guy - Helpline Team