Psoriatic arthritis

Options
GemPhill
GemPhill Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I’ve recently been diagnosed with arthritis & I’m wondering how others felt when being diagnosed?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Good Morning @GemPhill and welcome to the Online Community.

I see from your post that you are newly diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) and are interested in how others felt when first diagnosed.

Reading between the lines I suspect you are wondering if all your feelings and emotions are 'Normal' and can reassure you they almost certainly are!

Here is a thread from earlier this year which you might find useful:

In addition this article is specifically for people who are newly diagnosed:

I'll leave you now to meet our members and to perhaps have a look around and join in elsewhere Living with Arthritis is one of our more popular categories.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @GemPhill

Nice to meet you.

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

When I first started with this I was initially in shock I think a lot of denial/disbelief....then randomly zapping across to a bit of relief that there was something going on.

Then I would be fearful for my future thinking life was over....refused to plan stuff in case I couldn't do it. Then I was tearful and upset that I would 'show my kids up' (I do, but not because of the Arthritis!) and let my husband down.

So all in all a very confusing time, but many years on now I am able to say that most of my fears haven't come true life has been good - not what I had thought (remember you almost have to grieve for the future you had expected to have so you are entitled to all of those emotions), but pretty damn good.

I am still on my feet and 😊 happy.

Oh I also learnt not to bore/stress out my friends and family with worries and talk about this condition too much. I annoy everyone here instead. They don't feel upset and they also understand!

Take care

Toni xx