Coping mechanisms

Options
John123
John123 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Hello! I've just joined, hoping for practical tips on living with arthritis - e..g. elasticated shoes are easier to put on than lace-ups.

All sensible advice welcomed as I'm old, live alone, and value my independence.

And - who has an opinion on using Golden Paste?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @John123

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and one shoulder and are looking for practical tips on living with it. You live alone and really value you independence so appreciated all tips and advice given

You are also wondering on what peoples opinion is of using Golden Paste.

So, Im assuming that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis but please do correct me if this is incorrect. Im sure you will get lot of handy hints and tips on practical living ideas and in the mean time I have found the following links that I think will be of use to you.

As for Golden paste, please forgive my ignorance but I have never heard of this. Im looking forward to hearing all about it from yourself and your fellow members.

I hope this information is of help to you while you wait for other replies.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to keep getting involved in the community.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    edited 21. Feb 2023, 09:03
    Options

Hi @anneb82

I think what @John123 is referring to is a tumeric/black pepper/coconut oil mix in commercial form. It's used as an additive for food and drinks. You can even buy it for your pet. The mix is supposed to help break down the tumeric so it is more easily absorbed by the body. Many sellers stress that research proves tumeric has anti-inflammatory properties and so helps with the symptoms of inflammatory arthritis.

• John123
    John123 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, Moderator Anne and JamieA. Thank you for your posts and yes, Golden Paste is made using turmeric and

other things (there are various companies that produce it, and some people make it themselves).

I was interested to learn that turmeric is widely used in asian cookery.

Yes, it's osteoarthritis but as my left shoulder isn't affected I'm learning to write with my left hand. Slowly.

I miss going for long walks in the nearby countryside - it's now short walk - rest - short walk - rest!

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    Options

Hi @John123

You might want to consider capsaicin cream for your OA. I may be wrong but I think golden paste is aimed at inflammatory arthritis sufferers. My inflammatory arthritis is psoriatic arthritis which has led to OA in both knees. I use capsaicin cream on my knees when they are sore. It's prescription only so you'd need ask your GP for it. I also use elasticated knee supports. I've got quite a few kitchen aids as I like to cook - including jar openers, electric knife, electric can opener, stand mixer etc. I've also got simple hard foam sleeves that I can put on the handles of knives, forks and spoons. I take a backpack with me on walks where I carry a collapsible walking stick. My son has just bought me a couple of walking poles - though I haven't used them yet.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 21. Feb 2023, 12:25
    Options

Yes get some elasticated shoes they do help! I have elastic shoe laces in one or two pairs of mine too.

I also have a 'pick up stick' grabber thingy which can help with all sorts of things even hooking clothes up the body and a sock puteroner (I am just making up words now!) which is helpful for those days when you just can't do it.

Beds and chairs can be raised on blocks to make getting up and down and in and out easier. Raised loo seats also have their place.

Finally I swear by my microwavable wheatbag for some pain relief.

Oh and coming in here for support😊

Take care

Toni x

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi John123,

Welcome to the site

I joined a while ago, and have had nothing but sound advice and support.

Regarding footwear, another valuable tip I was given was getting backless slippers, so you aren't have to bend down or lift your feet up to.get slippers on.

For putting on socks, soft slippers and slip on soft shoes, investing in a sock sling is brilliant. They cost about £15 from a disability appliance shop. Worth their weight in gold.

I'm lucky because there is a shop for disability aids and adaptations about 5 minutes on the bus from me. They are a very caring family business, and have been a real support, if you can make a friend of a shop like that. They've even offered to sell.me a second hand mobility scooter for 3 months (cheaper than hiring), then buy it back off me!!

But you've made the 1st, most important step by joining this community.

Sheelee xx