My THR recovery diary

Options

Comments

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 130
    Options

@frogmorton thank you, it's so reassuring when someone different says you are making progress when you really aren't sure.

The third week is so very different to the first two recovery weeks.

The crutches had to move another notch as I was stooping too low. There's only one notch below now!

Julie x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options

There's an older lady who I see sometimes on my walks and she has a stick which is so long for her it's almost two foot to the side. Bless her I wish she'd see a physio.

Your crutches making you stoop no that can't be comfortable at all.

Take care Julie

Toni x

• JPT
    Options

Day 22 28/3

Tried lying on good leg with pillow, think I could sleep a short while, not brave enough to try my op leg yet until the scar is clear of crusty stuff as the top bit was a bit sore looking yesterday.

Exercises are better and nicer to do.

I had a SHOWER!!! First in three weeks! Hallelujah! What simple bliss.

Raining again, will I get outside? Nope!

My leg doesn't swell any more thank heavens.

I've dramatically reduced my pain relief and only take paracetamol a couple of times a day now.

My leg movement is better than pre op, the new exercises are helping to lengthen my stride.

Feeling positive 🙂

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 285
    Options

I'm so happy to hear the worst has happened and now you will improve dramatically. You have been promoted to veteran. X

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

@JPT Wow, definite positives, well done - you'll be driving your car next!

• frogmorton
    Options

Wahay!! That's fabulous A clean JPT!

I bet you are starting to feel way way better.

It's really all coming together now isn't it?

Toni x

• JPT
    Options

Day 24 30/3

Another 0.6 km walk. Unexpectedly met a group of friends and had a lovely couple of hours in the sunshine, they are all amazed by my progress and hadn't invited me as they didn't think I would be up to it yet!

Such a lovely morale boost, drinks (non alcoholic for me - can't wait to have a proper glass of wine again), sat in a chair like royalty with everyone standing round me, then standing getting used to pontoon movement, which was ok and gives me hope that it won't be long before I can get on a boat again.

My scar is showing quite clearly now but the top of it is quite lumpy hopefully it will even out soon.

Just one paracetamol yesterday before bed as I was quite achy.

All in all a good day x

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT - brilliant? Amazing too! And yes, sure your bumpy scar will even out soon, mine was bumpy at your stage but has been fine now for a few weeks, x

• JPT
    Options

It seems I do have an allergy to the adhesive on dressings and plasters now so now they have all been removed and my skin is dry I can actually wash better without risk of skin infections. Not sure why I am allergic now - different glues maybe. My leg looks like it's been mauled by a shark with the big scar and all the blister and plaster redness

Day 23 29/3

Slept a short while on my good side, better sleep overall thank goodness.

I managed a longer walk 0.63km down the road. I was really slow on the return but it felt ok.
    Hubby took me out for a drive out in the country. Still sore to be comfortable and seatbelt rubs, managed to wedge my coat in between so that was better. I fell asleep suddenly three times! Good job I am not driving 🤔

All I wanted to do for the rest of the day was sleep..😴

Words to remember." You've had a major operation. Be kind to yourself". I do forget sometimes but that is also a good sign of recovery except complacency catches you out when you hobble off leaving your crutch and you are suddenly stranded. Fortunately it was indoors and I managed to get back to it.

I occasionally unthinkingly go to step up or down stairs and realise I can't yet . So I must still think first.

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT definitely all relatable and normal to me. I started with leaving my crutch and finding myself halfway down a shallow step before I realised! The short sleep on my side made it so much easier to cope with being on my back, just being able to move more naturally helped. Sleep - I can still have a sleepy day, but found it best to just give in to them, can’t really do any other, and the next day is always better. I then progressed to forgetting my non-slip mat in the bath and forgetting to hold on when climbing back out - all progress though! And yes, continue to remember to be kind to yourself, x

• Nurina
    Options

@JPT I think we really don't believe other's hip diaries, do we? When everyone is doing fine and you feel you will never be like that you think they are superpeople but YES! You are feeling now what we call "doing normal things" Is it not amazing? It's great you are allowed to sleep in your side on week 4. I had to suffer two weeks more 😅

My scar is very long and dark. I think there are images from the space where it can be seen 😂

Trying to climb up and down stairs is one of the signals that shows you are getting normal. You wouldn't dare to do that a week ago.

I'm too still very tired. We are constanly doing whole body workout dragging an unresponsive bag of potatoes, of course we are tired. I'm now sleeping almost normal apart from the paranoia of not crossing my legs everytime I'm turning over, but I'm doing better.

Like @Janlyn I'm not afraid of getting in and out of the shower that was one of the most scary moment. I'm not afraid of slipping on the kitchen floor or tripping in the living room rug. I can't believe everything I've read or watched about recovery, is true.

Happy Easter

X

• JPT
    Options

Day 25 31/3

A better nights sleep, I think also just having half an hour on my good side seems to break the awkwardness of sleeping on my back.

Had a lovely visit from my running friends who were impressed with my mobility. My "replacement part" is so much put into perspective when they update me on their family member who is still recovering from major cancer operation from over a year ago and who still needs major reconstruction to enjoy anything resembling a normal life. What I have had done just doesn't compare. I'm very grateful my situation is easy to fix.

I broke the 1km mark this afternoon with a nice sit down on a bench half way looking at my favourite view.

Not so tired when I got back which is good.

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT Goodbye indeed to March and time to move on. As each day gets a little longer you will get a little stronger. It's amazing how fast we start to recover once we're past the first few days, x

• frogmorton
    Options

I bet before we know it it will be March next year you'll be doing so well and celebrating your hip's 1st birthday!😊

• JPT
    Options

Yes, I got a bit overconfident yesterday and walked 1.4km - that was just too far in one go. The rest of the day was a right off. I didn't listen to you all, I should have stuck to shorter walks. Lesson learned…

• Nurina
    Options

@JPT I think we all overdid our first long walk too. It's fine. You could be sore, not much to worry about. X

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT We all do that - how do we know what is too much unless we try? Tomorrow's another day and you'll most probably be fine, fingers crossed 🤞

• frogmorton
    Options

Hope you have recovered from the epic walk @JPT ?

I am sat here listening to the birds singing outside and thinking what a lovely day and how lucky we are. No doubt it will rain on and off as usual, but right now it sounds lovely😊

Take care

Toni x

• JPT
    Options

Day 27 2/4

Disturbed night sleep, awake 5 times, not easy manoeuvring pillow between legs then waking to remove it. Sat in chair 5ish again

Hung out the washing today so another first and had to get hubby to bring it in when it started raining shortly after!

Sat in snug on cushion dining chair for coffee, that was nice too. I am so fed up with limited seating. Tried sofa with more cushions but no go.

Feeling lethargic all day, definitely overdid it.

I was reminded about having an uncemented hip fitted. Has anyone else had this or a cemented one? Is there any difference in recovery?

• Nurina
    Options

I don't really know what kind of hip I have 😂 I suppose it's uncemented because I'm "young" with good bone density and the physio said the bone has to bond with implant. That's ridiculous I'm always asking about everything and I haven't asked about this 😅. I hope you can sleep better tonight. Don't stop doing exercises because you are sore because soreness is part of the process. X

• JPT
    Options

Day 28 3/4

Feeling a bit brighter today, low energy still.

First time going round the shops on crutches. Hubby made me laugh, you go round m&s etc...but I can't carry anything...oh, I forgot 🤔

Nice to be a bit more normal doing shopping

• Zimmer
    Zimmer Member Posts: 38
    Options

I have read ALL of this thread and wanted to thank you for breaking down a month of recovery, as it has helped me with ideas as to how I can get my home ready for the big day.

I had to smile though, by your comments on day 24 about getting back on your boat, as that was a question I had, but didn't think anyone else could tell me that 😆 . Struggle to move but won't give my boat up yet.

I hope you continue to improve and are kind and patient with yourself in the process xx

Anna

• JPT
    Options

@Zimmer I'm so glad my diary is helping you to prepare. Without the diaries of @Nurina and @Janlyn that I followed from the start of their recovery I wouldn't have been anywhere near as prepared mentally or practically. My diary is also my record of progress good and bad etc.

Wishing you all the best for your op and recovery. Let us know how you get on.

Julie xx

• JPT
    Options

Day 29 4/4

I walked 0.97k to seafront and back on my own and mostly using one crutch. Sat on the bench halfway and had a couple of natters with lovely neighbours enroute. Felt ok even perhaps a bit smoother as I didn't need to stop as often.

Four weeks now since the op. Time is flying but I now feel on a go slow annoyingly. I know this is when progress slows down but I do keep note of the small bits of progress.

I am tending to furniture hop around the house now leaving my stick behind at times. I can't stand just on the op leg yet without support so not ready to drop both crutches yet.

Exercises are getting easier so I need some tougher ones when I see the physio next week.

I desperately want to sleep longer on my good side but it's not happening and I just can't bear lying on my op side still.

The wound is healing well in places with just a neat white line, half of it is still scabbed and not showing signs of budging yet.

My biggest frustrations currently are that I still can't get comfortable anywhere for long and I desperately want to curl up or sprawl out on the sofa like I used to! Silly but normal bad habits.

I've reduced the time I wear the compression socks to just night times now as I really hate wearing them and I am generally quite active during the day.

I've got five days left of blood thinners and I'll be glad to be rid of them.

Another couple of things ticked off or nearly.