Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS)

Options

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience of having a SCS procedure, how painful that procedure was in itself, and the recovery time. Also, how it feels to have the implant in - how close to spine is it, can you feel a bump where it is, does it hurt if you press on the stimulator?

Also, how effective you find it - how much does it help compared to tens machine (which don't really help me)? I don't have any sciatic pain, just constant mainly very central low back pain in a specific place just above or over my previous L5/S1 fusion so much so I can't sit upright for more than a few minutes due to the pain (or stand, walk).

Thx if you can help my knowledge in this area as it's been mentioned as a potential future option by the pain clinic.

Mike

Tagged:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options

Hi @Mickle07

This is a search I did for you:

Ignore the first one it's about tens others are about SCS

Do please let us know how you get on

Take care

Toni x

• Mickle07
    Mickle07 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks Toni, but I've read a number of those already and which only express its fitting and use in very general terms.

Hopefully someone might pick up who's had the fitting procedure for a similar complaint and can pass me some feedback.

Best, Mike

• Trafford1
    Trafford1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Mike,

I had this operation 10 months ago. If your still interested in information I gladly pass on

Regards

Kim

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    edited 16. Apr 2024, 07:03
    Options

@Mickle07

@Trafford1 has had the procedure and is happy to pass on her information if you are interested. Or maybe you have had it yourself by now and might tell us how you got on too?

@Trafford1 a quick welcome to you from me I always love it when someone new immediately wants to help someone else. I am sure you yourself will find the community as supportive to you in turn.

I see you have done a couple of test posts in the helpline category if you want them deleted do just ask.

Don't know whether any of this might be of interest to you? If not just ignore it!

Thank you again

best wishes

Ellen.

• mandy1980
    mandy1980 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have an scs implant, which was put in about 8 years ago. I had the rod with the electrodes put into my back first and the rest of the machine is in a pouch on your hip for 2 weeks until your trial of it is over. To see how much pain relief it gives you, then after 2 weeks I went back in to have the battery and wires implanted too. It's all done under local anaesthetic so your awake for the procedure both times. This is so they get it in the right place for your pain. You'll have a big bruise on your upper buttock where the battery goes and it takes a couple of weeks or so to recover completely from that. You won't be able to bend or anything for a while because the wires might move. You'll have to attend the pain clinic for the rest if your life also and once a year or more You'll need to go up there to get it preprogrammed. You normally won't feel the machine at all. If you need any more information on it please just ask me. Any questions at all.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @mandy1980 and welcome to the Community.

Thank you for your comments - I am sure that they will help others going through the same, and thank you for your offer to answer any more questions. This is what the community is about, helping each other.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and if you have any questions please ask.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm