Steroid Injection

Options
debsmartin
debsmartin Member Posts: 209
edited 18. Nov 2008, 14:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry not been on for a while, on my last hospital visit the doctor drained some fluid off my knee and gave me a steroid injection into it, also received a second injection in my bum and since then I have felt wonderful almost forgotten I've had RA for the last 6 weeks so been making the most of being painfree and able to walk. Sadly the effects seem to be wearing off abit but still 80% better than I have ever felt was just wondering has anyone else had such good effects with steroids on my last visit to the nurse my RA levels were the lowest they have ever been but have been warned that it won't last for much longer and sadly can't have them again for about 3-4 months because of the long term damage they can cause - thats about right I thought.
Sorry this has turned into an essay but just feel so happy at the moment with being vertually pain free.
debs

Comments

• dollie
    dollie Member Posts: 2
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    Pleased that the steroid injection has been a big help.

I hope being virtually being painfree lasts a good while.

Dollie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi debs

Pleased to hear the steroid injections were a success. I have also found they help tremenduously but only for about 6 months.

Make the most of the "feel good" factor and I hope it lasts for a long time. At least you know that you can have them again at a later date.

Take care,
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • debsmartin
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi debs

Pleased to hear the steroid injections were a success. I have also found they help tremenduously but only for about 6 months.

Make the most of the "feel good" factor and I hope it lasts for a long time. At least you know that you can have them again at a later date.

Take care,
    Luv
    Elna x

Fingers crossed that they last me that long, but then again I'll just enjoy it whilst I can - been getting some of those jobs done that I have been putting off.
    debs
  • thirteen
    thirteen Member Posts: 1
    Options
    debsmartin wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi debs

Take care,
    Luv
    Elna x

Fingers crossed that they last me that long, but then again I'll just enjoy it whilst I can - been getting some of those jobs done that I have been putting off.
    debs

Wonderful news. Take care and don't over do it. x x
  • juliet
    juliet Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Debs

I've had the fluid drained from my knee a couple of times, and it does help a bit.

The steroid injections I'm still unsure about. I've had them in my knee and my shoulder. In both cases, I seem to have more movement in my joints after the injection, but the pain is just as bad. I still can't work it out.

Hope everything goes ok and you feel well for as long as possible

Julie T
    xx
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hello Debs,
    That's good news, glad you're feeling great :) Being painfree sounds like bliss!! :D
    Scarlet x
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    debsmartin wrote:
    Sorry not been on for a while, on my last hospital visit the doctor drained some fluid off my knee and gave me a steroid injection into it, also received a second injection in my bum and since then I have felt wonderful almost forgotten I've had RA for the last 6 weeks so been making the most of being painfree and able to walk. Sadly the effects seem to be wearing off abit but still 80% better than I have ever felt was just wondering has anyone else had such good effects with steroids on my last visit to the nurse my RA levels were the lowest they have ever been but have been warned that it won't last for much longer and sadly can't have them again for about 3-4 months because of the long term damage they can cause - thats about right I thought.
    Sorry this has turned into an essay but just feel so happy at the moment with being vertually pain free.
    debs

Hi Debs,

Glad it's working for you. It amazes me that such an in-expensive, especially in pill form, medication can have such dramatically great results for people with RA, including myself. Within 24 hours I can just be totally pain free and relieved of a flair that would continue on for days, weeks or longer if I was not treated. When years ago I started with RA the rheumy's were giving me plaquenil and these anti-malarias. I would wait 3-6 months for another appt. without any pain relieve. How ridiculous is that thinking back on it. Well knowing now, this is an old treatment (plaquenil) which may or probably will not help modify the condition for up to a year.
    Finally my GP got me started on prednisone for short periods to at least get thru a few months, thankfully. While everyone is aware of the problems with continued use of steroids it seems to me that big pharmaceutical companies could use this as a base for developing a effective medication. Maybe it's too simple and there is no profit in it for them and developing expensive bio drugs is a better business!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmy77
  • debsmartin
    Options
    jimmy77 wrote:
    debsmartin wrote:
    debs

Hi Debs,

Glad it's working for you. It amazes me that such an in-expensive, especially in pill form, medication can have such dramatically great results for people with RA, including myself. Within 24 hours I can just be totally pain free and relieved of a flair that would continue on for days, weeks or longer if I was not treated. When years ago I started with RA the rheumy's were giving me plaquenil and these anti-malarias. I would wait 3-6 months for another appt. without any pain relieve. How ridiculous is that thinking back on it. Well knowing now, this is an old treatment (plaquenil) which may or probably will not help modify the condition for up to a year.
    Finally my GP got me started on prednisone for short periods to at least get thru a few months, thankfully. While everyone is aware of the problems with continued use of steroids it seems to me that big pharmaceutical companies could use this as a base for developing a effective medication. Maybe it's too simple and there is no profit in it for them and developing expensive bio drugs is a better business!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmy77

Hi Jimmy
    My thought as well about steroids I'm amazed that it can't be adapted as a base for RA treatment - I just can't believe how quickly it relieves the pain.
    debs
  • vickid
    vickid Member Posts: 12
    Options
    i love steroid injections :D