Two questions: hands and knees

katymac
katymac Member Posts: 26
edited 3. Feb 2009, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I'm due o see my GP on Monday for a 'hand assessment'. I told her my wrists were weak and that I've become a dozy moo and am continually dropping things. Anyone know what a hand assessment entails?

I have also developed bright red, warm, sore knees. It seems to coincide with taking Amlodipine for Raynauds, but my GP does not see a link. Anyone else had this?

Thanks
Kathyx

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, can't help with either query, but just wanted to wish you the very best for the appointment.

Hope it isn't too traumatic, and that they are able to give you some clues as to what might be going on.

One through re: the possible drug side effect - have you tried talking to the pharmacist, who may have more info on rarer side-effects than the GP?

just a thought
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    katymac wrote:
    Hi

I'm due o see my GP on Monday for a 'hand assessment'. I told her my wrists were weak and that I've become a dozy moo and am continually dropping things. Anyone know what a hand assessment entails?

I have also developed bright red, warm, sore knees. It seems to coincide with taking Amlodipine for Raynauds

Hi Katy dont know much but have raynauds through having RA or Pa Its especially bad in this weather can give you some tips if you want them to help with that. However i know a person who has raynauds and no arthritis it can be your nerves. Hand exersise at the doctors, they have a set group for you to do like walking your fingers moving your wrists and fingers. really its a job for OH but it will give GP a chance to access you and decide what action to take. Take Care
    Colin
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi katymac a hand assessment could perhaps be an examination and then a test at what you can do and what happens to your hands when you do it is I have done things like gripping pencils and writing, then commenting on the pain and lifting things and then seeing if there is any refered pain last time he gripped certain points of the hand to test where the pain was and this rheumy said hand probs i have ie dropping things bad grip pain most likely from pain swelling inflamm from the arthruritis in the hands and also refered from neck spine area as I also get tingling pins needles coming from nerve endings etc I am now taking neuropathy painkillers , anyway I hope you get on OK does that mean you cant grip your glass he he no seriouusly I hope you get somethging sorted, it could be an annoying side affect and does the cold not help as it is very cold again.
    Best wishes for Monday and take care and keep warm Chrisov
  • katymac
    katymac Member Posts: 26
    Hi Folks
    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I will let you know how I get on next Monday.

Chrisov, would you believe, have never dropped my glass of whiskey :lol: never even spilt a drop :lol:

Kathyx
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    hi, i just wanted to add that i to have hand problems. dropping glasses, plates almost anything, my grip is rubbish and it really upsets me. my knees are also so painful it's untrue. especially at night.
    let me know how you go as i'd be interested to see what they say, i so wish my hands were better.
    sue
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I've got carpel tunnel and oa in my hands and I drop things all the time and my hands feel clumsy. Theres simple tests a gp can do to see if this is likely, maybe thats one of the things they'll test. Love Sue xxx