Collagen pills for rheumatoid arthritis

trevorpotts
trevorpotts Member Posts: 7
edited 23. Feb 2009, 09:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Did anyone else see the article in Saturdays Times about the Chinese study showing tablets containing collagen derived from chickens works nearly as effectively as methotrexate without the side effects. The collagen pills produced significant improvement in 41% of patients compared with 58% for mtx. This was a study by the Anhui Medical university and reported in "Arthritis & Rheumatism. No information about whether or not they will be marketed in Britain.
TP

Comments

• astine
    astine Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    There is a collagen product in the UK, called Collagen Plus, marketed by Arthro Vite Ltd
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I obtained pots of collagen plus powder that you diluted with water from the internet and took it for quite some time to see what this brilliant stuff would do for my oa. Made me poorer!! :(:lol:

If it worked we would all be prescribed it but when we are trying to ease pain we try anything don't we? :x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • astine
    Please don't be so negative it worked for me & I'm still taking it. If it worked for everyone it would be called a 'cure' which it's not, but it does contain collagen, glucosamine & chondroitin which are widely accepted as being beneficial for osteo-arthritis.
    elnafinn wrote:
    I obtained pots of collagen plus powder that you diluted with water from the internet and took it for quite some time to see what this brilliant stuff would do for my oa. Made me poorer!! :(:lol:

If it worked we would all be prescribed it but when we are trying to ease pain we try anything don't we? :x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I don't think Elna's being negative, I think we have to be wary as some of us are quite vulnerable and there's always someone out there trying to SELL us a quick 'cure'. I don't suppose this collagen based remedy is free is it :?:

..........lots of things are worth a go but they're not going to work for everyone as we can find out to our purse's detriment and lining someone else's pocket :shock: :(

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • astine
    Hi Legs,
    It's definately not free, my own purse can vouch for that, however I take it alternate days so it lasts twice as long. They did send a free sample to a friend when I requested it, so it might be worth giving them a call !
    lindalegs wrote:
    I don't suppose this collagen based remedy is free is it :?:

..........lots of things are worth a go but they're not going to work for everyone as we can find out to our purse's detriment and lining someone else's pocket :shock: :(

Luv Legs :)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Astine,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried so many 'cures' in the past that I don't think I'll be giving this one a go even if they do send a free sample :wink:

My RA, at the moment is under control with Mtx and I feel better than I've felt for years and years so I ain't tampering with anything that could upset my applecart. I'm very happy with Mtx and am also content to risk the side effects I decided a very long time ago it's quality of life I want not quantity. :wink:

I hope you continue to get good results from the collagen :D

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'