anyone from preston area?

achyallover
achyallover Member Posts: 9
edited 25. Feb 2009, 19:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi is there anyone out there from this area who knows of a support group which I could attend to talk to like minded people!

help i feel like screaming!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:

Comments

• lorrayne
    lorrayne Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi ya,
    Cant help Im afraid...!
    I would also love to join a support group as feeling quite alone, and in the dumps at the mo. Im from Southport, it would be great to talk to other is simular boat
    Lorrayne
    hi is there anyone out there from this area who knows of a support group which I could attend to talk to like minded people!

• achyallover
    lorrayne wrote:
    Hi ya,
    Cant help Im afraid...!
    I would also love to join a support group as feeling quite alone, and in the dumps at the mo. Im from Southport, it would be great to talk to other is simular boat
    Lorrayne

Hi there!
    I have been trying to find out if there are any support groups in our local area , but so far i have been unsuccessful. Also I would like to talk to others who have similar condition and age to compare notes!
    I am 36 and was diagnosed withOA a year ago. But recently been to see consultant who said I was too young to have OA and it must be RA!!!!!!!!!!

So awaiting blood results in 2 weeks going back to see him! The fact that my x rays show i have OA in hips knees spine and also ahve scoliosis of spine seem to be irrelevant! bUt who ama I to question the medical profession!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • mknight
    mknight Member Posts: 4
    I'd also be interested to know if there is anyone around here, especially since I have been having some issues with the local clinic and would love to know if my experience is typical.
  • Jeannie
    Jeannie Member Posts: 29
    Hi achyallover,

I have brought your query to the attention of the web manager,

Jeannie2 (Forum supervisor)
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi
    I live in Chorley and I would be interested in a support group in our area too.
    Denise.
  • Jeannie
    Hi Denpen,

I have forwarded your query too.

Jeannie2 (forum supervisor)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Achyallover

Sorry I’m not in your area but have often thought of starting a support group in my own area. I have the premises but its not kitted out for disabled no ramps and stuff and the cost of installing such equipment with all the legislation is out of my reach. Although the building is set up for me to get around with my own personal equipment it would not pass any legislation criteria for public use. However in saying that the idea keeps floating round in my head daily so much so I have even made up plans and drawings perhaps I’ll win the lotto who knows.
    Anyway as far as off loading and sharing your experiences regardless of age this is the place to do it. Arthritis has no boundaries it knows no limits and cares not what age you are. We all suffer in very similar ways some suffer more some less. Most of have met the same doctor you know the one that doesn’t know his **** from his elbow. Then there are those doctors with no people skills. Im lucky I have a great Rheumy and the staff at my local injection clinic are really great. I have had my share of
    Misdiagnosis and been given wrong treatment. Anyway I’m not going to go on and on like I do lol. You have found a great site with great people Who are only to willing to share their feelings and experiences with you.
    It sounds like you’re a bit down at the moment, take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin
  • achyallover
    denpen wrote:
    Hi
    I live in Chorley and I would be interested in a support group in our area too.
    Denise.

Hi Denise,

I also live in Chorley and there are no support groups I feel really isolated at times as often feel unwell and have no one to off load things to in similar situation. There is a group held at Preston hospital but think it is during the day, as I have 2 small children it is not always possible. There must be so many people in our area in need of a group.

Hope you are ok.
    :D:D:D
  • achyallover
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Achyallover

Sorry I’m not in your area but have often thought of starting a support group in my own area. I have the premises but its not kitted out for disabled no ramps and stuff and the cost of installing such equipment with all the legislation is out of my reach. Although the building is set up for me to get around with my own personal equipment it would not pass any legislation criteria for public use. However in saying that the idea keeps floating round in my head daily so much so I have even made up plans and drawings perhaps I’ll win the lotto who knows.
    Anyway as far as off loading and sharing your experiences regardless of age this is the place to do it. Arthritis has no boundaries it knows no limits and cares not what age you are. We all suffer in very similar ways some suffer more some less. Most of have met the same doctor you know the one that doesn’t know his **** from his elbow. Then there are those doctors with no people skills. Im lucky I have a great Rheumy and the staff at my local injection clinic are really great. I have had my share of
    Misdiagnosis and been given wrong treatment. Anyway I’m not going to go on and on like I do lol. You have found a great site with great people Who are only to willing to share their feelings and experiences with you.
    It sounds like you’re a bit down at the moment, take care and keep your chin up.
    Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for your message! I have not been on this site for a while and it was lovely to know that people care. I am at the stage now where my consultant said he had discharged me for now and will see me when I am 50 to do my hip replacements if I can get to that age using meds and physio!!!!!!! That is 14 years away, how bad is that!!!!

Meanwhile I am paying privately for a great physio and taking anti inflams daily which are upsetting my stomach :(

But my GP justs keeps prescribing them. I have recently found out that my OA is now in my SI joint and I am finding it so painful to sit down.

Hey but enough of my moaning, hope you are ok.

JO
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi

I'm not from your area but looked on the in your area bit on this site and there is a slef help group that meets at Preston Royal Infirmary if this is any good to you.

Love
    Vonski
  • denpen
    Hi all
    St. Helens /Wigan/Chorley/Preston Areas
    Thinking about it a few weeks ago when I first found that I had OA I was searching through all Arthritis sites and remembered saving some info onto a word document. and found athritis care seem to hold a meeting at Wrightington Hospital on the last Thursday of every month. I will ring the contact no. on Monday and find out.
    Denise.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    I`m nearby and am going to wrightington for my op tomorrow. Keep me informed if any dates are arranged etc please..
    NB
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    There is a self-management course starting
    on 16th March at Clifton Hospital Lytham.
  • achyallover
    Hi
    I`m nearby and am going to wrightington for my op tomorrow. Keep me informed if any dates are arranged etc please..
    NB

Hi good luck tomorrow hope all goes well.

Jo :lol:
  • achyallover
    ichabod6 wrote:

Hi ichabod!

Do you have anymore information about the course e.g times and length of course?

I would be interested to attend.

Thank you. :)
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Jo i had a feeling you where a bit down, cant believe they would leave you all that time. My rheumy put me from every 6 weeks to every 14 weeks and i got withdrawl symptoms god knows how you feel. I hope you get sorted and find some sort of group near you. Take care and keep your chin up
    Colin
  • achyallover
    ichabod6 wrote:

Hi do you have any more information regarding this course?
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    It's open to anyone who has a longterm health
    condition and arthritis in any of its forms certainly
    qualifies for that.
    It's 6 consecutive weekly sessions and the contact
    number is 01253 867858
  • achyallover
    ichabod6 wrote:
    It's open to anyone who has a longterm health
    condition and arthritis in any of its forms certainly
    qualifies for that.
    It's 6 consecutive weekly sessions and the contact
    number is 01253 867858

hi thanks for the information. Where was it advertised?
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Thanks ever so much for this information. Will ring them and get myself there. Could do with some help and advice.
    Ta!
    Jeannie
  • dodgyhips
    dodgyhips Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I'm from Preston but only recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips so it's all a bit new at the moment. I would certainly find going to a group useful.
  • Jeannie
    Hi all,

The web manager has asked me to let everyone know that the Arthritis Care local office for both Preston and Southport will be North England. They will know of any Arthritis Care support groups in the area. They are contactable at the email address below.

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/NorthEngland/Contactus

Jeannie2 (Forum Supervisor)
  • denpen
    Hi All
    If you look on this great web site of ours "in your area" click on Branches to find your local one as the information for self help groups is there.
    I rang for info for Wrightington Hoispital one yesterday and left a message so just waiting for a reply now. I will post again when I know more.
    Denise.
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea/NorthEngland/Branches/Lancashire

Here is a list of areas in Lancashire that have meetings, dunno if they would be of any help to you but I'm sure if you went along it cannot do any harm xx