Volterol gel patches

gloria028
gloria028 Member Posts: 24
Does anyone use these?
I have been on NSAIDS for about 8 years on and off -Ibuprofen mostly then for the last 2 years Naprotec(naproxin with cytotec to protect the stomach)
Lately i have been having a lot of acid indigestion and heart burn directly related to the naprotec so my Gp has ordererd Volterol gel patches presumably to by pass the digestive system
I am wondering if they are as strong as the oral volterol?
Each gel patch contains 140mgms of volterol and it is absorbed at a regular rate
i have been told i can change it daily or leave it for up to 3 days
I really do need pain relief I have OA pretty generalized but my lower spine is the worst
My Gp says if they dont work for me he can order Etoricoxib ?
Is that the one of the ones that dont affect the lining of the stomach?
I would be grateful for any comments as both of these seem unusual ---
Paracodol is useless
Thanks
Gloria

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good morning Gloria :D

I take two Etoricoxib (60mg tabs) every morning. The brand name is Arcoxia. I was given these when, after two years Diclofenac, no longer agreed with me and my stomach. Both are an anti inflammatory meds. I have no problems with the Etoricoxib. I have never been offered the gel patches.

Bye for now,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    elnafinn wrote:
    Good morning Gloria :D

I take two Etoricoxib (60mg tabs) every morning. The brand name is Arcoxia. I was given these when, after two years Diclofenac, no longer agreed with me and my stomach. Both are an anti inflammatory meds. I have no problems with the Etoricoxib. I have never been offered the gel patches.

Bye for now,
    Elna

Elna, do you mind me asking which hospital do you go oin Bucks?
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    gloria028 wrote:
    Does anyone use these?
    I have been on NSAIDS for about 8 years on and off -Ibuprofen mostly then for the last 2 years Naprotec(naproxin with cytotec to protect the stomach)
    Lately i have been having a lot of acid indigestion and heart burn directly related to the naprotec so my Gp has ordererd Volterol gel patches presumably to by pass the digestive system
    Each gel patch contains 140mgms of volterol and it is absorbed at a regular rate
    I really do need pain relief I have OA pretty generalized but my lower spine is the worst
    Paracodol is useless
    Thanks
    Gloria

Dear Gloria

Thank you for your posting. I am aware that you have already received a response to your enquiry from other forum users that have shared with you their experiences. Etoricoxib is one of a group of dugs called cox-2 inhibitors. These are designed to be safer for the stomach. As you say, it sounds as if you are being prescribed them because of the concerns about the effects these can have on your stomach. We don’t have information as to whether the Voltarol patches are stronger than the oral medication and you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist about this.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • gloria028
    gloria028 wrote:
    Does anyone use these?
    Paracodol is useless
    Thanks
    Gloria

Dear Gloria

Thank you for your posting. I am aware that you have already received a response to your enquiry from other forum users that have shared with you their experiences. Etoricoxib is one of a group of dugs called cox-2 inhibitors. These are designed to be safer for the stomach. As you say, it sounds as if you are being prescribed them because of the concerns about the effects these can have on your stomach. We don’t have information as to whether the Voltarol patches are stronger than the oral medication and you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist about this.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Gloria,

I am not sure whether you've posted again mistakenly or if you are looking for any more ideas to explore.

I wonder if you've had any information on self-management? If not do send your full name and postal address to Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and we will be happy to send you some. I wonder if you've considered a referral to a pain clinic?

I hope that's helpful
    Guy
  • gloria028
    Dear Gloria,

I am not sure whether you've posted again mistakenly or if you are looking for any more ideas to explore.

I wonder if you've had any information on self-management? If not do send your full name and postal address to Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and we will be happy to send you some. I wonder if you've considered a referral to a pain clinic?

I hope that's helpful
    Guy
    Hi Guy
    I tried to reply to Elnafinn and Dawn but cant see the post - so i must have done something wrong -I'm new to this