work or lack of it..

Options
airwave
airwave Member Posts: 579
Hi All,
I have closed my business down (worked about two days per week on light duties, as and when it felt OK) and been along to the JobCentre, explained that I am fallingtobits, they say I should work 24 hours a week and be applying for two jobs a week. I don't see why I should be in pain at work. They are paying my stamp, thats all, I have been medically retired for 9 years, with a pension, and run a small business for 5 years.

I find myself in a quandary, forgo the stamp and wait another 12 years till I retire at 65 and have less old age pension or put up with demands that I work for the sake of a stamp. I have been trying to get a job for a few years but without success due to fallingtobits.

No doubt, I'm not the only one to come up against this sort of thing?

Comments and advice on the back of a ......email?

8) Its a grin, honest!

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Do you qualify for the new benefit sorry I can't remember what its called but used to be Incapacity Benefit? If you are too ill to work and have medical evidence to back it up you should... it also pays your stamp...you will likely be medically examined to qualify
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    hi tanith
    its called ESA employment support allowance. Not sure re eligibility though.
    NB
  • airwave
    Options
    tanith wrote:
    Do you qualify for the new benefit sorry I can't remember what its called but used to be Incapacity Benefit? If you are too ill to work and have medical evidence to back it up you should... it also pays your stamp...you will likely be medically examined to qualify

I would imagine I do, but being my first time in such a position and not aware of what happens these days I feel somewhat vulnerable.

I don't appreciate having to be examined by a board of civil servants who are experienced in these matters, do I get some professional representation?
    8) Its a grin, honest!
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Well you could go to CAB and ask for help with form filling etc.. just claim ESA (thanks for jogging my memory) and see what happens... of course as I said previously they do sometimes make you jump through hoops but if you qualify its worth it to get the extra monetary support...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Airwave
    I had to finish work on Friday due to arthur, so made a claim for ESA yesterday. Claims are done over the phone now so minimal form filling. The man I spoke to was really helpful and it was quite painless! Apparently next stage is a health questionnaire so should be fun filling that in. Has anyone at the job centre suggested you speak to disability advisor there? Have a look at ESA ,it might be worth you claiming if only for short time. Good luck Fay
  • airwave
    Options
    haagan wrote:
    Hi Airwave
    I had to finish work on Friday due to arthur, so made a claim for ESA yesterday. Claims are done over the phone now so minimal form filling. The man I spoke to was really helpful and it was quite painless! Apparently next stage is a health questionnaire so should be fun filling that in. Has anyone at the job centre suggested you speak to disability advisor there? Have a look at ESA ,it might be worth you claiming if only for short time. Good luck Fay

Hi Fay,
    Just had a letter through, I don't qualify for any assistance because I haven't paid my stamp lately, I had an exemption certificate due to low income.

Disability Advisor? Never heard of one of those, are they on the rare beasts list?

Cheers
    8) Its a grin, honest!