Bus Drivers....... an arthritis sufferers worst nightmare ?

elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 14. May 2009, 05:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
I say be wary of bus drivers. Full Stop. I do not wish to speak ill of them all but some do appear to take delight in sending passengers, children and their belongings flying and seem oblivious of people entering and leaving the bus.

Mind you I would rather have any kind of bus driver than none at all.

Luv
Elna x
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    snap!
  • mike147
    mike147 Bots Posts: 13
    god I hate bus drivers, they see that I cant bend my knee much and they sit and watch as I strrugle to get on , then the minuite I pay my fare off he goes not and I am sent flying onto the ground

And the thing I hate to see is when the Bus comes to pick up old people , it lowers down for them ???????????? now why cant they do that for me??? people with Arthritis have rights too , dont Bus Drivers not know this ??

I wave now as I approch them on my scooter :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mike R & Hazel :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    mike147 wrote:

And the thing I hate to see is when the Bus comes to pick up old people , it lowers down for them ???????????? now why cant they do that for me??? people with Arthritis have rights too , dont Bus Drivers not know this ??

Mike R & Hazel quote]

Hi Mike

I am pleased to hear that where you are the bus drivers lower the thingmejig for passengers. :D In my mum's neck of the woods the oldies have to shout for the driver to do this :( - it not done automatically. :( I am sure all the driver has to do is press and button but they are not interested in seeing who wishes to enter the bus. Why don't they press the button every time they are at a bus stop?

ANYONE can ask the driver to lower the ramp or whatever it is so they can get on and off the bus.

Lovely to hear you are getting on well with your scooter. :D:D:D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    Is it just me , because 80% of the time I get on local buses, the driver thinks he's Lewis Hamilton. Just before you sit down they seem to deliberately set off sending you flying. One of them set me back weeks, as I strained the ankle I have just had an op on.
    Beware these drivers, they are the bane of the arthritis sufferer.
    Alanmancunian

I use the bus every day to get too and from work, i have found that the bus drivers round here are used to me now, I don't even have to show them my pass and they are already producing the ticket, (must be memorable). Anyways, i learnt that if you ask them to wait for you to sit down they will do, also I refuse to stand up until the bus has stopped, I make sure they know the bell has been rung by ringing it at least twice.
    Emma
  • trustymick
    trustymick Member Posts: 9
    Is it just me , because 80% of the time I get on local buses, the driver thinks he's Lewis Hamilton. Just before you sit down they seem to deliberately set off sending you flying. One of them set me back weeks, as I strained the ankle I have just had an op on.
    Beware these drivers, they are the bane of the arthritis sufferer.
    Alanmancunian
    Hi
    Just found this old post of yours
    I am a bus driver I have been driving them for the last 29years
    I always pull into the kurb (if i can and the bus stop is not blocked by drivers who only think about them self "thats another subject") lower the ramp plus wait till people with mobility problems sit down, putting the second ramp down if needed
    My point
    If you fell down did you tell the driver :( , by law he has to report this to the police, and I am sure the no win no fee people will help you
    (not suggesting anything bad)
    Even if were not injured tell the driver you fell
    He will have to report to his managers (and if like ours her she has 3 they will have to go back to driving school)
    Do not get up out of your seat till the bus has stopped (which is better for you and the driver)
    Hope this helps :)
    Trustymick
    P.s I do not like my wife going on the busses, but she has not been able to get on one for a while (bad R.A)
  • alibongo
    alibongo Member Posts: 24
    Just noticed this post

Some bus drivers are really inconsiderate there is one on our route who is always grumpy, one day it was raining so i was trying to get on the bus with stick in one hand, putting umbrella down in the other and as I rested my stick to try and get my pass out of my bag he drove off almost sending me flying. But then he is like that with everyone he gave my son who has a student pass the wrong ticket and told him it was his fault and wanted him to pay extra.

On the other hand there are lovely drivers on our route who are very considerate and will see you trying to get across the road to the bus stop and wait for you because they recognise you. They are also the ones who will be patient because they know you have difficulty so I don't want to complain about all of them.

Alison
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Fortunately I don't have to use public transport now, but years ago when I had to I would always ring the bell when getting near to my stop, which alerted the driver giving him advance warning that I wished to alight. If for some reason I couldn't get to the bell I would just call out politely "next stop please driver". Simples.

It worked ok then, as did having a conductor on board to help the elderly, infirm and young mums with babies. It was a sad day when the 'clippies' were finished.

Ha, so much for progress!
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi

Funnily enough I was thinking about Alan the other day and wondering where he'd gone and if he's OK. Anyone out there know? Also where is noonoo???????

Love
    Vonski x
  • elnafinn
    Hi Vonski

Not been back that long from my day out in London! Kath will probably have news of noonoo.

Hope your day has gone well. :)

Love
    Elna x

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I use the local bus frequently. I catch it from 50 yds down the road so I do not have far to walk. It sets me down in the middle of town and I don't have far to walk to the shops I want. I can then, if I have to, go on to the hospital if it is an appointments day.

All very convenient but, yes oh chrikey!. The bus drivers, it's like they want to kill you - think it is because we with the free bus passes stop them individually bringing the money in. I've actually heard them moaning about it when they change drivers at each end of town.

The woman bus drivers are the worse. :x One tried to run me over some weeks back. I was crossing the road between one bus stop and the other and she came right up behind me and blasted her horn. Scared the life out of me and I was having difficulty walking. She could see I had a stick. I think they drive like maniacs on their rounds just so they can have an extra **** break or two.

I don't know if you have disabled seats on your bus, but on ours they are positioned at the front of the bus with not much to hang on to. Oh Yes, they get back to the depot and you can imagine what they say to each other. 'How many old biddies did you get off their seats today bert'. :roll: :lol:

Good luck
    Joy
  • trustymick
    joyful164 wrote:
    I use the local bus frequently. I catch it from 50 yds down the road so I do not have far to walk. It sets me down in the middle of town and I don't have far to walk to the shops I want. I can then, if I have to, go on to the hospital if it is an appointments day.

All very convenient but, yes oh chrikey!. The bus drivers, it's like they want to kill you - think it is because we with the free bus passes stop them individually bringing the money in. I've actually heard them moaning about it when they change drivers at each end of town.

The woman bus drivers are the worse. :x One tried to run me over some weeks back. I was crossing the road between one bus stop and the other and she came right up behind me and blasted her horn. Scared the life out of me and I was having difficulty walking. She could see I had a stick. I think they drive like maniacs on their rounds just so they can have an extra **** break or two.

I don't know if you have disabled seats on your bus, but on ours they are positioned at the front of the bus with not much to hang on to. Oh Yes, they get back to the depot and you can imagine what they say to each other. 'How many old biddies did you get off their seats today bert'. :roll: :lol:

Good luck
    Joy
    I did not realise that bus drivers were disliked so much
    I have trid 3 times to intro my self and asked by bager to do so, but for some reason it did not work
    I was just trying to put a little input,
    By if you are injured or fall you should complain and that will get results but you must tell the driver and make sure he takes your address plus ask for a phone mumber to find out if he has reported the incident (just talking about it wont stop bad driving) if you are injured make sure you go to hospital.
    But being talked through has put me off this sit
    (I dont know if you have disable seats on you bus) :(
    I been on this site a while trying to understand my wifes illness
    and her medication which there is a lot and her meds have been changed many times
    So im of this site
    but Thanks for the info I have got.
    Trustymick
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    It's been about 3 years since I was on a bus, I can imagine what it feels like being dragged round corners and trying to hang onto your seat with arthur.

I don't go on them cause the bus stop is too far for me to walk and I can't walk very far at all without having to sit down so only make small trips in the car.

I feel so sorry for people without a car who have to take the bus.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi All

I dont use the buses very often, but I do find the 'kneeling' buses a big help and most drivers will activate the option for you if you look to be struggling.

I have a bus related tale:

When I stayed with my son in Canada one time, I got on the bus with my grand-daughter who would be about 6 yrs old then, we had been on the bus for a good few minutes when I realised I hadn't locked my son's front door.

I asked the driver
    'can you stop and let me off the bus please, I have left the front door unlocked'.
    Mind you, I had no idea how I was going to walk all the way back there.

Did he stop - No,
    but he did take the bus on a detour, he radioed the Transit terminal and told them he would be late getting downtown, and turned the bus around and took me all the way back, stopped right outside my son's house and waited until I locked the door.

The other passengers just looked on, but my grand-daughter who was sat on the bus waiting for me said
    'Grandma, did you HAVE to embarass me by hugging the driver'?

I said 'well yes, actually I did' -

well he was a gorgeous hunk and those muscles just had to be tweaked, know what I mean girls, :lol: :roll:
    and anyway I'm getting on a bit so am allowed to :wink: :roll:

So I guess you can say bus travel is not all bad then. :)

Kath

Alanmancunian, how are you doing :?:
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    i am not able to use the buses here because they don't have the ones that lower and also it's almost impossible to get the pushchair on them.
    when i lived in reading, berkshire we had low rider buses that not only lowered but you could push the pushchair straight on and there was a place to sit with it. but here in the basingstoke area i have to fold the pushchair up, then try to struggle getting the pushchair, me and my toddler on whilst the driver sits there watching me because he's not allowed to help me! it's just impossible for me unless i have someone to help me.
    but because i don't drive to get to town i have the choice of struggling to get on the nus which stops at the end of mt road, a 5 minute walk or go on the train, this is a good 30 minute walk away so again is very differcult and if i do make it there i'm to tired and achey to then walk round the shops! so basically i very rarely go to town any more.
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    I bussed back from town this morning and took notice as we approached a bus stop where a lady with an elbow crutch was waiting to get on.The driver did lower the platform and waited until she was settled in her seat.I can't say I have seen many considerate ones but we shouldn't tar them all with the same brush.
    NOT LEAST COS NINA'S HUBBY IS A BUS DRIVER.
    Linda H
  • trustymick
    trustymick wrote:
    joyful164 wrote:

Good luck
    Joy
    I did not realise that bus drivers were disliked so much
    I have trid 3 times to intro my self and asked by bager to do so, but for some reason it did not work
    I was just trying to put a little input,
    By if you are injured or fall you should complain and that will get results but you must tell the driver and make sure he takes your address plus ask for a phone mumber to find out if he has reported the incident (just talking about it wont stop bad driving) if you are injured make sure you go to hospital.
    But being talked through has put me off this sit
    (I dont know if you have disable seats on you bus) :(
    I been on this site a while trying to understand my wifes illness
    and her medication which there is a lot and her meds have been changed many times
    So im of this site
    but Thanks for the info I have got.
    Trustymick
    sorry just realised just realised what you ment
    You was not talking to me
    I have been very sencertive since my wifes illness
    sorry again
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Mick

No need to be sorry,
    it must be really hard for you
    to see your wife with the problems
    the illness cause for her and for you as well.

Keep up the good work and keep
    'chatting' wont you.

Kath
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Mick

Don't be put off the site by any misunderstandings, they sometimes happen on here :) Ask lots of questions and I'm sure peeople will step up and try to help you understand what's going on with your wife and her meds, it is hard. It's such a horrible illness and even those dealing with it have problems never mind their other halves :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • jeanniep
    jeanniep Member Posts: 42
    Hi Mick
    Glad you posted your message about being a considerate bus driver - it's important to hear everybody's experiences not just negative ones. And your experiences as a carer are valuable to us on this site too, so please don't leave!

Bus drivers do a difficult job coping with traffic, timetables, rude passengers, giving change, etc. Of course some bus drivers are inconsiderate, just as people in any walk of life, but I think many more are helpful, especially if you ask them to be. It is genuinely difficult for some people to put themselves in other people's shoes; they don't have the imagination or the empathy. So there's no harm in politely asking drivers for a bit more time getting on the bus, or for the bus to be lowered if it can be and reminding them that some people can't balance like a fairground worker on the waltzer! :roll:
    JeanP
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Ahem, my OH is a bus driver :-) Just thought I'd join in!

In Derby, the main bus company was privatised a few years ago and it's been cost cutting all the way since then. There's too many managers getting too much pay and not enough drivers or buses. They don't get enough time to travel between stops.

But my OH always waits for people who have difficulty walking or who are unsteady to sit down before he sets off.

But I know there are plenty of bus drivers who don't wait and are practising for Formula One.

Nx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    I used to have a disabled bus pass when I lived in Leeds, all it was, was a green piece of card saying disabled on it and my name, no photograph. And every night I got on the bus I was stopped by the same driver, he used to make me stand at the front of the bus while he drove, while he argued with me that I should not have one of these cards, suppose looking back I should have been flattered, but I wasn't I was 17 and very concious of my arthritis, another time I almost fell down the stairs of the bus and smashed my shoulder on the mirror, no action was ever taken, but then again we didn't have where theirs blame, theres a claim system back in the early 80s, so in the end I binned the pass, took my driving lessons, and have never set foot on a bus since, apart from getting on one at Manchester Airport, which was like being on a roller coaster ride at the fairground, no one would give up a seat and I hung on for dear life, not easy when you can't get a grip with your fused wrists and hands.