Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

what are nodules on fingers

trishertrisher Posts: 9,727
edited 7. Jun 2009, 02:06 in Say Hello Archive
Being newly diagnosed with RA, I do not understand everything yet so could someone tell me what nodules are please?

Comments

• suzstersuzster Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    from my experience they are nobbley bumps ate the base of your fingers, not sure how they happen but my rheumy said they are very common.
    i have a few that are not causing any problems but i did have one at the base of my ring finger that was qite big, my finger kept dislocating and was painful when rheumy felt it she told me it was a large nodule and she injected a steroid into it. a few days later it felt much better and wasn't dislocating anymore, so all good!
    sorry i can't explain better but i'm sure someone else can!
  • lindalegslindalegs Posts: 5,401 ✭✭
    Hi Trisher,

Just to add to what Suzster says, in my experience, nodules can appear on any joint and some can get quite big. They can also be painful - so if you get any lumps or bumps on your joints you'll probably find that's what they are - it's always wise to mention them to your GP or Rheumy if any appear.

Not all of them are here to stay either - I had a large painful one at the base of my spine, my Rheumy and I decided to leave it to see what happened and it did go away on it's own.

Nodules are just another 'joy' of arthritis :roll: :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • trishertrisher Posts: 9,727
    Hi lidalegs
    thanks for that answer it's something new I've learnt. I'm not used to all this at the moment.
    I have just given birth to my first one. Not sure if it's a girl or a boy yet :roll:
    I'll see what happens to it thanks again
    trisher :D
  • colinonecolinone Posts: 1,406
    Hi Trisher
    Welcome to the site and its nice to meet you. Noduals if thats how you spell it. over 20% of RA sufferers get noduals its a build up of some sort of tissue but google it and have a read. I have them on my elbows hands and feet. they normaly grow on your boney bits, dont forget to join the guys around the site catch you later.
    Colin
  • trishertrisher Posts: 9,727
    Hi suzster

Thanks for your reply. Every bit of information from you is helping me understand things a bit better. :?
    There are so many questions but you cannot sit in the doctors room and think of all the things you want to ask knowing there is a lot of other patients sitting outside waiting. :oops: beside that I was sweating like mad and had to get out for some air.
    Hope to speak to you soon Trisher :D
  • suzstersuzster Posts: 1,328
    sorry, only just saw this! no worries trisher, glad i can help abit!! my nodule on my finger has gone, thank goodness as it was painful, but fingers crossed the injection did the trick.
  • mrsmoppmrsmopp Posts: 73
    Hi Trish

I had a two large Nodules on my elbow. They werent painful, but didnt look to good. They lasted for about 6 months then just dissapeared, Doctor said it was because my medication was kicking in. Take Care x