Anyone work in retail ???

Options

Comments

• topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh i dont know how you do it!!!....I take my hat of to you....
    Im back in work tomorrow so we shall see what that brings.....
    I have started writing down dates etc....
    What do you think of this tho....
    When i went back to work in Jan ( after 7 months of)....docs were still unsure of diagnoisis....BUT...the company doc said i was already covered under the DDA....due to my damaged knee...( we now know that its been caused by RA)....and they didnt do anything...
    HR said i was to have a weekly review during my 7 weeks of phased return..i have never had one....and i have been of sick twice with RA since and they have never given me a return to work interview either.....are they digging their own grave??????
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Gosh i dont know how you do it!!!....I take my hat of to you....
    Im back in work tomorrow so we shall see what that brings.....
    I have started writing down dates etc....
    What do you think of this tho....
    When i went back to work in Jan ( after 7 months of)....docs were still unsure of diagnoisis....BUT...the company doc said i was already covered under the DDA....due to my damaged knee...( we now know that its been caused by RA)....and they didnt do anything...
    HR said i was to have a weekly review during my 7 weeks of phased return..i have never had one....and i have been of sick twice with RA since and they have never given me a return to work interview either.....are they digging their own grave??????

They are indeed. When an OT recommends something, the work are supposed to follow it to the letter. As I mentioned earlier about my breaks, this was recommended by the OT. But because you have a new condition affecting you, they should assess you again. They are supposed to reassess you if you have a period of leave longer than a certain length as per company guidelines, ours is 4 weeks, to make sure everything is in place. You have such a good case here, but I cannot stress to you enough the importance of getting adequate representation.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Topgirl

Reread ecks' last post above and also remember - keep a record of EVERYTHING :-)

Nx

PS - And tell us all about it!
  • topgirl
    Options
    I am going back today....
    Will see how it goes...
    I think i may join USDAW....just in case i need it
    Thanks everyone
    :D
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Good luck today topgirl, hope it goes well. That sounds like good sense to join. You never know when you might need them for something again. I pay about a tenner a month to be in my Union. Well worth it.
  • ninakang
    Options
    How did it go Topgirl?

Nx
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi
    I work in retail, when I first found out I had OA and would need a hip replacement my managers reaction was "can you still do your job" I replied that "I had managed up to now hadnt I", but I think that someone must have had a word in her ear because with DDA you cant treat people that way, a week later she did appologise to me and told me not to do anything that I couldnt manage. Now they dont let me work any extra hours because I told them that I dont want to stand for any longer because its painful (I work 20 hrs a week). Take a look at your H & S Manuals to see if there is anything in place for disabilities and if possible could you have a word with HR to ask their advice, companies have to be very careful nowadays regarding disabled people.
    Good luck with it all and keep us posted on how you get on.
    Denise.
  • topgirl
    Options
    Struggled most of the day....Fed up....
    My Manager was off.....so i was a little bit naughty and looked at the H & S file.....everything is in there . I think behind the scenes things may be happening but they arnt informing me!....I think it will depend on what they think...' reasonable adjustments ' are....but the last thing my Area Manager is is REASONABLE.....
    looked on USDAW's website....but in the joining section it has that you cant already have an issue when you join....so i dont know whether to bother....
    My Manager is in today and she has on her list to do...' my return to work' forms...from the last 2 periods of sickness....shall i raise my concerns with her or wait for HR.....?

I have also found that on my home insurance i have got a legal advice helpline....shall i ring them?
    Its all a bit stressfull :shock: ....but i have got my list and im not leaving my job!!!!!!!!
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    Struggled most of the day....Fed up....
    My Manager was off.....so i was a little bit naughty and looked at the H & S file.....everything is in there . I think behind the scenes things may be happening but they arnt informing me!....I think it will depend on what they think...' reasonable adjustments ' are....but the last thing my Area Manager is is REASONABLE.....
    looked on USDAW's website....but in the joining section it has that you cant already have an issue when you join....so i dont know whether to bother....
    My Manager is in today and she has on her list to do...' my return to work' forms...from the last 2 periods of sickness....shall i raise my concerns with her or wait for HR.....?

I have also found that on my home insurance i have got a legal advice helpline....shall i ring them?
    Its all a bit stressfull :shock: ....but i have got my list and im not leaving my job!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!! That's terrific news, I was asked that when I decided to go ahead with the medical negligence claim. Phone up your insurer ASAP and advise them you are in need of urgent legal advice. That is so good. Really do take advantage of that! What a turn up!
  • ninakang
    Options
    Hi Topgirl

I'm sorry it didn't go very well. You should document that it was your first day back and nothing was in place to give you the support you needed and how you struggled. Your manager not being there is no excuse - she should have given instructions and made sure you were looked after.

As for what you should do? All of the above! Do some investigating and find out what your options are.

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Good advice from Nina there Topgirl, keep a note of everything, they really should have put everything in place. My line runs out tomorrow but because I have the Pain Clinic I don't know what the story is for going back to work. I feel better and that I now have a good combo of drugs. My Manager just phoned me to see how I am doing and wish me luck for tomorrow. When I said I thought I could come back next week, she said only if my Dr says so and she will put me on reduced hours and gradually increase them until I'm comfortable. Now that is what your work should be doing, they should be ashamed of themselves.
  • topgirl
    Options
    Another crap day !!!!!....
    i think i may have confused everyone...I went yesterday after 2 weeks hols.......so i wasnt expecting any changes.....would be lovely if there was.......
    My RA started this time last year....and i ended being of work 7 months as was told it was a torn cartlidge in knee.....
    So when i went back i didnt have a proper diagnosis....but physio helped and i went back in Feb....on phased hrs for 8 weeks...
    However pain, stiffness , tiredness became worse and in April they said it was RA....massive shock....but nothings been done this time....I dont think my boss told HR....
    Anyhow HR and Area Manager coming soon...although the havent let me know the date....nice eh.......
    If im unhappy after that i will ring the 'legal line' for sure.....
    Thats if i last that long.....feel like going of on sick again as im so stressed !!!!!!!!..... :roll: :cry:
  • ninakang
    Options
    Good girl, we're all behind you on this. Make sure you keep a record of how stressed you've been as well as the physical pain you're in.

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Hi Topgirl, I know it's hard but try not to worry. Remember that the law is on your side here. You are in the right and they are in the wrong, it's as simple as that. Try and get advice, this will reassure you and will reiterate what you are hearing here. After getting advice you will feel a weight off your shoulders because you will have a plan of action to take and this will alleviate some of the stress. As Nina said we are all here rooting for you. You'll get there and when you do it's a great feeling to know you've been proved right and got one over on them. x
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks....
    I ended up having a bit of a 'do' with my Manager yesterday....
    She said i had done something wrong....( which i hadnt anyway)
    but she was shouting at me on the shopfloor....I didnt get chance to speak to her as i wanted to do it on a one to one basis and away from the public....
    she hasnt seen me for 4 weeks but didnt ask how i was or if the treatment was working yet.....
    Im on my day of tomorrow and if im still in pain( which i am all the time) and upset im going to go back on the sick until medication starts to work....ive only been on it 6 weeks.....
    What do you think?....
    I am going to ring HR to see when they are coming to see me...
    Can i ask to have an occupational health assessment?
    Can i stay of till the 'new reasonable adjustments' are in place.
    im worried that they might say that they they have already done this ?...( for my old condition which is also covered by DDA)
    Look forward to the replys.....
    x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    I work for a large womens clothing store and finding it difficult to continue.
    I have spoke to my area manager about doing more tasks in the store which involve me sitting down,but she has said there isnt any( even tho i know that there is).
    does anyone have any tips on staying in a job where you are on your feet all day?

Hello, I dont work in retail, but I am a care assistant working for the county council in a home for the elderly. I should say, up until the 18th I am still in employment, after that I shall be retired for ill health reasons.

I can understand your problem, although I have OA, I think you said yours is RA. My OA is in my neck, lumber spine and a few other places and I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand last week. don't think any of that should really matter, the point is we both have a lot of pain. Like Scotslass, I cut down my hours and did all the things possible to carry on working, as I enjoy it. Nothing seemed to work for me and I had to face the facts my employers were good, and kept my job open for in total about 18 months.

If your employers are unreasonable, and personelly, I think they are, you should go to the CAB or if you'r in a Union, and ask for help. Either of them shoud know your rights and be used to helping people negotiate from similar situations.

If, in the end, you have to give up work, there are other thigs to do, :wink: and although the financial situation is not so good, :( claim the CAB will help you claim for as much as possible. You'v paid in now its time they paid you :shock: Good luck & Love Suexxx
  • topgirl
    Options
    Thanks Sue....
    Im finding out more and more rights as time goes on!!!!
    Its strange tho , some days im really strong ,other days ( yesterday) a complete mess....
    Im sorry you had to finish work...i actually really like my job( although you wouldnt think it with all the moaning i do on here :roll: )
    xxx
  • ninakang
    Options
    Hi Topgirl

The others' advice above is absolutely sound and remember always that we're here for you to talk to or get advice from.

I can tell you love your job - not because you tell us about your problems but because you're so determined to stay there!

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Shouting at you on the shop floor eh?

Write that down! What a t*t this woman sounds. Very unprofessional, no person should be disciplined in a public place, if anything had to be said it should have been done in private. You are really starting to get a case here, not only for the discrimination but that type of thing is clear cut victimisation. What a wench, I had a manager tell me once to uncross my legs from beneath me as it was against H&S. I said "where is that then?" she says "It's in The Guide"(our manual). I said "is it? hang on" then I made her wait at my desk while I searched the net for about 10 minutes then said "nope nothing there, bye" she demanded I come with her and leave my desk. I said "get my Union rep then and I'll see you soon" she shouted "NOW" in front of everyone. "I said "get my Union Rep and I'll see you soon, I'm not going to say this again to you". She backed off and gave me daggers for ages. But now she is all sweetness and light to me like it never happened. Turns out she has a habit of doing stuff like this but backs off when people stand up to her. Wench.
  • topgirl
    Options
    That sounds horrible.....good for you.....as if you dont have enough to put up with.....
    Ur gonna to be pleased with.... :o
    When i got home on Tues( after bein 'shouted at ).....I just couldnt stop crying....and didnt sleep all night....
    I then decided that i wasnt going to put up with this anymore.....
    I wrote her a letter and have stated in it how her behaviour was unaccacptpable....There was 4 chapters of it and it was very calm and proffessional..i also put in it that i am going tho a very difficult time and would like some support. I have left in on her desk( she wasnt in yesterday).
    Im on my day of today and am going to GP...i am going to see if he will sign me off till i have my meeting with HR and my reasonable adjustments are in place. I will then ring HR and tell them and ask them to ring and tell my Manager as i dont want to speak to her.They will ask why and i will tell them WHY!!!!!!
    Im going to rest and wait for the medication to take hold...( hopefully)...im sure my actions will speed up HR's actions as i am on 30 weeks a year full sick pay!
    So my Manager is going to be in for a nice shock today when she gets my letter and then a phone call from HR!!!!!!!!!
    WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    topgirl wrote:
    That sounds horrible.....good for you.....as if you dont have enough to put up with.....
    Ur gonna to be pleased with.... :o
    When i got home on Tues( after bein 'shouted at ).....I just couldnt stop crying....and didnt sleep all night....
    I then decided that i wasnt going to put up with this anymore.....
    I wrote her a letter and have stated in it how her behaviour was unaccacptpable....There was 4 chapters of it and it was very calm and proffessional..i also put in it that i am going tho a very difficult time and would like some support. I have left in on her desk( she wasnt in yesterday).
    Im on my day of today and am going to GP...i am going to see if he will sign me off till i have my meeting with HR and my reasonable adjustments are in place. I will then ring HR and tell them and ask them to ring and tell my Manager as i dont want to speak to her.They will ask why and i will tell them WHY!!!!!!
    Im going to rest and wait for the medication to take hold...( hopefully)...im sure my actions will speed up HR's actions as i am on 30 weeks a year full sick pay!
    So my Manager is going to be in for a nice shock today when she gets my letter and then a phone call from HR!!!!!!!!!
    WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!

Good stuff. Keeping it professional is the way to go. Hope you kept a copy of your letter, you might need this again to show you have made her aware of your concerns.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Good luck to you...i have oa which is bad enough!

As previously stated stay positive and confident..dda is on your side.My employers are starting to poo themselves as they know a tribuneral is looming.

Keep us informed :wink:
  • topgirl
    Options
    O yes....its on word if HR want to see it and also another printed copy incase PC crashes... :wink:
  • topgirl
    Options
    markc1 wrote:
    Good luck to you...i have oa which is bad enough!

As previously stated stay positive and confident..dda is on your side.My employers are starting to poo themselves as they know a tribuneral is looming.

Keep us informed :wink:

Good for you Mark.....
    Its not as if we have inflicted this upon ourselves is it...?
    Id rather work 100 hrs a week and be told that i havnt got RA....
    As is dealing with the stress, upset and medication isnt enough....
    let me know how you get on....
    And get the toilet roll ready for them.....LOL....
    x
  • topgirl
    Options
    UPDATE.......
    saw GP this morning. He agrees that until it starts working/ right meds..ect...i should not go back in work and has signed me of work for a month.
    I rang HR to inform them and they were really supportive. She is arranging a home visit to look at 'reasonable adjustments'.
    when i asked her to ring my store Manager to let her know i would be off she asked what the problem was...I told her and first of all she agreed that i had done nothing wrong and that in the very least my Manager should apolagise......!!!!!....she asked if my Manager could ring me to do this and i have said yes, but in a few days when im feeling stronger....What a turn up eh!!!