Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

DSA

controversialcontroversial Member Posts: 24
edited 10. Jun 2009, 05:53 in Young people's community
Hey,
I'm going to university to study law in September, and so have just applied for DSA due to suspected rheumatoid arthritis.

I was wondering what other people asked for, or got?
Especially in relation to travel expenses.

I live a 4 hour train ride away from uni, and have to visit the hospital twice a week for physio. This will fit in with my timetable, but will cost over a grand in train tickets.

Or, I can drive, which takes an hour. However, I'd need help paying to run a car, as I wouldn't be taking one otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford too.

Gah, this is no fun :(

Comments

• theresa4theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I recieved DSA when I did my degree with OU but it isnt easy to get so get as much supporting documents from your rheumy/doc etc.. You might be as well to see whether you could have physio in a hospital near to where you are at uni as I dont think they pay travel expenses although I could be wrong. Its worth exploring all these avenues now. Good luck with the DSA and your studies xx
    Theresa x
    :D
    Hey,
    I'm going to university to study law in September, and so have just applied for DSA due to suspected rheumatoid arthritis.

I was wondering what other people asked for, or got?
    Especially in relation to travel expenses.

I live a 4 hour train ride away from uni, and have to visit the hospital twice a week for physio. This will fit in with my timetable, but will cost over a grand in train tickets.

Or, I can drive, which takes an hour. However, I'd need help paying to run a car, as I wouldn't be taking one otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford too.

Gah, this is no fun :(
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • scatteredscattered Member Posts: 326
    They won't pay travel expenses as they are not related to your ability to study.

I got DSA for RA in my second year. I was given a book allowence to spend on books that I might get from the library if I was able to go to the library. You're not allowed to spend in on core texts though. I got a digital voice recorder, a new laptop, voice recognition software, money to pay for someone to cover my extra time in exams, money for a notetaker, a book stand and personal ergonomic computer chair.

Good luck. You'll have to send evidence that you have RA - letters from your RD/GP.
  • controversialcontroversial Member Posts: 24
    scattered wrote:
    They won't pay travel expenses as they are not related to your ability to study.

I got DSA for RA in my second year. I was given a book allowence to spend on books that I might get from the library if I was able to go to the library. You're not allowed to spend in on core texts though. I got a digital voice recorder, a new laptop, voice recognition software, money to pay for someone to cover my extra time in exams, money for a notetaker, a book stand and personal ergonomic computer chair.

Good luck. You'll have to send evidence that you have RA - letters from your RD/GP.

The DSA book says 'reasonable travel costs'. I think it's only been introduced recently, as I can't find anyone who has had them, and they would really help me out. I need to travel home twice a week for physio, and thats either a three hour train journey or 40 mins in the car....

Thanks very much, though, your answer has been really helpful. I've sent a copy of my sick note (3 months off for RA), and a letter from my doctor, so that should be enough, right?