Daft injuries with Arthur

Options
eckstardeluxe
eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
edited 2. Sep 2009, 13:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone have some silly things they've done because of Arthur?

Today I lost my footing whilst putting my son's tray into his highchair, I slipped and hit the corner and now have a massive black and blue bruise on my right cheekbone.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, first day after all the carry on last week. I said to a friend secretly "she needs a good smack" about my awful bully Manager. She'll probably think that she's given me one now!

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    fell coming into house hit arm on wall jaring neck ,shoulder and back. took weeks to settle as set off flare up. hope yours over quicker and u can cover it up before work
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I'm forever dropping things or losing my footing too. Fell down some stairs on holiday in Germany and came back with scabby knees - nobody would believe that I was sober at the time!

Occy Health have forbidden me to carry anything just in case, but what to do when it's my turn to make the tea? Thankfully I don't do this very often, but I can hardly say "Please carry these cups for me" - I get sick of explaining arthur all the time.

Nx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I went on holiday to the Lake District this year. We stopped and I decided just to have a short walk, I had trainers on because my boots where in the back, I had my walking pole in my hand and stepped out of the car, took one step forward, the grass was damp and growing on slate, my feet slid out and I landed flat on my back, with my hand that had carpel tunnel surgery 6 weeks before, taking my weight. It immediatly started swelling before I got up and bleeding under the skin. My husband looked round and said 'oh look you've scratched the care! :? . No injuries, but had to go to hospital for x-rays.

They later removed the walking pole from his....... No only joking. :lol: Sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    ......Occy Health have forbidden me to carry anything just in case, but what to do when it's my turn to make the tea? Thankfully I don't do this very often, but I can hardly say "Please carry these cups for me" - I get sick of explaining arthur all the time.

Nx

Nina,

I have a trolley to help me transport things from crockery, to laundry to watering cans. If I need to carry laundry upstairs I use a carrier bag on my arm so my hands are free for holding on.

If I carry drinks on my trolley I call out 'ice creams, teas, coffees, soft drinks' as I go .....just for my own amusement you understand - the family are bored of me doing it now :roll: :lol::lol:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I'm always burning myself - I have a lovely red stripe and blister down my little finger and side of my hand from ironing this morning. :roll:

Anything hot e.g. irons, ovens, hobs, pans and there's a magnet, I reckon, in my hands and fingers that draw me to them to burn me even when I'm being really, really careful :roll: and have lots of scars to prove it.

Luv Legs with a blister or three :D
    Love, Legs x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Quite recently I droped about 4 cereal bowls when I was taking them from the dishwasher into the cupboard. I just totally lost my grip.My hands often go like that recently :roll: Gave me a good excuse to buy some new ones. Now I don't lift more than 2 at a time. Same with the kettle and things, only put enough water in to cover the minimum level.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Eck,

Don't know where to start what with the tripping and dropping things but you said daft so the daftest is this. I had my sheep booked into the chiropody dept (ie me with the foot clippers :wink: ) and I was doing miss spoilt brat, not n easy sheep, and got the angle wrong. you know the one where you bend and twist slightly wrong and you back hurts and your legs totally give out? Anyway I ended up on her back, the kid holding her let her go and we did a rodeo thing for about 100 yards before I feel off and twisted my wrist quiet well....... Cris x
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I'm always burning myself - I have a lovely red stripe and blister down my little finger and side of my hand from ironing this morning. :roll:

Anything hot e.g. irons, ovens, hobs, pans and there's a magnet, I reckon, in my hands and fingers that draw me to them to burn me even when I'm being really, really careful :roll: and have lots of scars to prove it.

Luv Legs with a blister or three :D

I'm the same, burn myself with the iron all the time, not really arthur related with mines though - I iron alot in my bra and the steam burns my belly! :oops:

Seems everyone has their daft arthur moments at times. Good to feel I'm not alone.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have done alot of silly things among them tripping myself up when coming in the front door, I fell in the hall way, hit my hand against a solid brick wall, ended up breaking my hand, another famous one was while sitting on my perching stool in the kitchen, I leant over to put something in the bin and hit my head on the radiator, luckily it was cold, ended up in casualty after knocking myself out, casualty knows me well!! love Jaspercatxx
  • tweedie
    tweedie Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Anyone have some silly things they've done because of Arthur?

Today I lost my footing whilst putting my son's tray into his highchair, I slipped and hit the corner and now have a massive black and blue bruise on my right cheekbone.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, first day after all the carry on last week. I said to a friend secretly "she needs a good smack" about my awful bully Manager. She'll probably think that she's given me one now!

Hi,
    I fall over quite a lot -- just go down -- hate it , but I drop things a lot too , in one night I broke 3 glasses , just dropped them into the sink as I was taking my night time tablets -- now I have plastic tumblers that I tell everyone are for my grandchildren , they are not amused :oops: as they are now bigger than me and tell everyone that they are my tumblers -- traitors :( but once I was on my crutches and one slipped and I ended up stuck hanging from them like a scarecrow :oops: luckily my husband came and rescued me :roll: , you have to laugh -- no point in crying , tears don't mend anything , not even our pride (if we have any left ) :oops:
    Joanna
    (tweedie)
    xx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I have badly twisted my ankles 3 times in the last year or so.. twice on one side once on the other, don't know if thats down to Arthur or just me being clumsy, I also am always dropping things... especially when unloading the dish-washer...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I ended up at the minor injuries unit after travelling to a 'Challenging arthritis' course on the bus. The bus driver was one of the 'lurch and brake' kind, and did not like waiting for passengers to ring bell and then only get up when he had stopped.

Stupidly I stood up before the bus had stopped, and he swung th bus into the stop, I lurched to stay standing, and then could barely walk after the class!

They did laugh at the hospital when I told them how I did it, but I don't worry about staying sat on the bus until the driver has stopped. They just have to wait for me! :lol:

Oh, and there was the time I helped at the youth club, only to spend 5 mins 'bowling' on the Nintendo wii and hurting my arm & shoulder. Another trip to minor injuries .... physio and weeks before it recovered (and I got over the embarrassment :oops: of hafiving to explain what I'd done!)
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Beside the typical flying cutlery in restaurants and dropped credit cards in supermarkets, I think the worst one was on the M6 Toll, for which I have a free disability toll card.

Pulling up at one of the busy toll booths one windy day, my fingers just snapped open, the wind caught the toll card and blew it underneath the following car. Being on my own, I staggered out of the car and struggled down onto all fours, to peer under the following vehicle to find where it had blown to. Then it was a case of going along the growing queue of cars as the wind blew the card onward. Bear in mind this is at the main 10 lane toll plaza.

Stagger, stagger, kneel, peer under car, struggle up, stagger, stagger, crawl, struggle up and on down the row to the 5th car where I explained to the startled driver that the errant toll card was underneath. I asked him not to move or run me over and tried to assure him that I was not a nutter or trying to steal his exhaust system. So, I struggled down, lay flat behind his car, reached under and could just touch and retrieve the card before staggering back to my car.

The operator in the glass box was doing her best not to have hysterics and all the drivers just thought it wisest to look away. The M6 Toll now need good, strong toll operators to prise the card out of my fingers, windy or not!

Another time, in a DIY store, not me thankfully, but the till operator dropped my payment card through a narrow gap, down behind a cupboard. Just move the cupboard I hear you thinking!

Not this one, it was securely fastened to both a wall and the floor. They tried everything for half an hour to move it slightly, so they could fish out the card, but it just wouldn't budge. In the end they had to smash through two wooden side panels using a hammer and several crowbars to get my card back. I stood there patiently, with the sounds of hammering, crashing and splintering wood at the offending checkout desk, while other people were being served at the next checkouts. No further comments needed.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh yes!
    How familiar is this!
    You should see the bruise on my bum at the moment! Hope it's gone by the time I have my jab for hip burtitis on friday. If not I'm going to tell 'em my hubby's been beating me with the iron bar abain!
    Joseph! I love the toll story! I could SO picture it! It is so exposed there. As for the DIY store....say no more. Would you recommend any of their tools?!
    Toni x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    apart from the holiday stories(which prove im accident prone)i went to collect my crutches.used them for the 1st time,picked up a bit of speed down a slope,my crutch ended up in the back of a mans shoe
    he couldnt move forward.he turned around to give me a dirty look for tripping him up.all i could do was try not to laugh til he walked off.
    my OH had already turned the corner & when i caught he up i was in hysterics,he hadnt seen my calamity :lol: but found it very amusing.
    luv debsx
  • woodbon
    Options
    Joseph, with your motor-way story, I'm surprised you wern't arrested. Don't know what the charge would be! Sue
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I'm the same, burn myself with the iron all the time, not really arthur related with mines though - I iron alot in my bra and the steam burns my belly! :oops:

Why?

e055.gif

Love, Legs x
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Ohhh yes, falls, bumps, bruises you name it, clumsy dropping things including a tin of beans the other week so I am now losing my toenail as well as my mind!!!!! lol
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I sometimes slip down the stairs because feet or knees have locked up. Thisusually happens when I am in a hurry or carrying something.
    Always dropping things.

joy
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Snap,I too have dropsy.After reading all these posts though I no longer think I am accident prone it is the arthritis lurking in my body.
    Some of you may remember earlier in the year I wrote about all the accidents with my nose,on friday at ostrich world I was watching my grandson on a climbing frame thingy with a porthole.When I bent to see him through it I found it had a glass domed window,I found this out using my nose of course.
    I often trip going upstairs as my knee gives way,also when getting up to go to the loo during the night I wobble side to side and usually manage to hurt one hip or the other on a corner of the wall thats there and has been for the 30 odd years I've lived in this house.
    Linda H 8)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    A few years ago i walked into the bathroom and stood on my sisters crutches my foot swelled so much i had to use them to go to the docs i said i dont mind if you laugh so he did. i had to wear a size bigger shoe on my foot till it got better.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

Why?

e055.gif

Lol, like to strip down whenever there's no one around. My hubby always says "shut the bliddy blinds!!!!"
  • woodbon
    Options
    I've got a scar on my tummy from burning myself with the iron. I've done it twice! Sue
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i use plastic tumblers since arthur came along, i have broken so many glasses it's the safest option!
    i burn myself on the oven almost every day, usually whilst trying to keep a grip on the baking trays, being accident prone is a side effect of arthur i'm sure!!
    i can trip over a blade of grass, knock myself on every door frame!!
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    I've got a scar on my tummy from burning myself with the iron. I've done it twice! Sue

Ha ha, me too Sue! When I was about 15 I was ironing on the floor (my Mum used to go daft about it) I was sitting with one leg outstretched and one bent in and my jeans along my leg. We were sitting watching Baywatch :oops: me and my cousin, when she said "what's that smell"

Only my leg. The edge of the iron had stuck to my left calf, when I pulled the iron off it was like mozzarella cheese, no joke. I had a hot date that night too, which was ruined by my constant fidgeting in the pictures because my leg was killing me.

Knew I had a high pain threshold, even now my friends and family joke about how I had an iron stuck to my leg and didn't even feel it. Felt it after though, still have a big scar where it was about 4 inches across!