What's your interest?

Options
carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 27. Oct 2009, 21:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all
a010.gif

I'm rather new here and although i have spoke to some of you i'd like to get to know you all a bit better. I'm rather interested in what you all do as hobbies or things you like to do in you spare time.

Basically i'm just nosey :!:
r035.gif

I enjoy knitting and crochet. I have been knitting for about 30 years now (i'm 34) and will put my hand to anything. My mum taught me to knit as her mum taught her. I taught myself to crochet through trial and error about 2 years ago. Now me and mum make baby items and sell on ebay. I only do it as a hobby, as long as i make enough to cover cost of yarn, buttons etc i'm happy. I pick up my knitting/crochet every day, normally in the evenings when watching tv. I'd be totally ,lost if for some reason i couldn't do it anymore.

c020.gif
So what do you guys get up to?

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Carol :-)

It's nice to meet you. I've always been a great fan of people who can do things like knit and crochet because I haven't got the skill or the patience to do anything like that. Even if I bake cakes with my girls, I bake the basic sponge and they do the decorating. They won't let me colour anymore because I'm too messy and don't finish the picture!

Spare time *lol* I like to keep busy. I was diagnosed with RA in February this year and have been pretty lucky with it so far, not that many off days and I still wear heels regularly although not for long periods. Here's what I do:

- I have been married for nearly 13 years and we have 3 beautiful, but insane, daughters aged 10, 7 and 5

- I work as Office Manager for the Fire Service and work full time although I work flexi time and it's very child friendly

- I'm Chair of Governors at the girls' school and recently became Safeguarding Governor which is very interesting - it takes up a bit of my time but I like to have my say

- I'm a complete computer geek and I don't see that as any bad thing, it comes in handy too much for that!

- I love to read, my favourite authors are Ben Elton and Lesley Pearse. I like easy to read books mostly. But I'm also half way through Word 2007 for Dummies :-)

- I'm doing an English degree with the Open University - part time, just this year and next to go

- I love films, all kinds, anything with Robert De Niro in especially

I also like to talk and am chatty! I'll let someone else have a turn now!

Nx
  • carol101
    Options
    Wow N, you certainly are a busy bee!

I have been married for only 2years but have been with my husband 7 years. I have 1 step son, 16 and 1 step daughter, 18, both of whom live with their mother. I have no children of my own but would like them one day (IVF permitting)

I have a black labrador/terrier cross called Rosie, she is 2 and i've had her since 10 weeks old. I also have 2 dwarf lop rabbits who live in my front room! 1 is called loppy (very original) and the other is called tc although she gets called teece. They are both female and we have an indoor hutch which they are in when we are at work but when we are at home they run around the house just as a cat would. I have trained the dog with them and they all get along very well, often the rabbits cuddle up to the dog. Rosie does think she's the boss though and if me or my husband shout at the rabbits for chewing, she will go and give them a nudge! I also have a tuxedo cat called Gizmo, he lives with my parents since i got him before i left home and i didn't want to uproot him. I still see him at least once a week though.

I work for DHL Global Mail which is a mailing warehouse. We wrap the magazines in the poly wrap you may have seen some in. I am a supervisor there and it's where i met my husband. I have been there 9 years now and my husband 19 years! It is shift work, early shift, late shift and night shift done on a weekly rota. I am always on the same shift as my husband so i spend 24/7 with him but we both love it.

I was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine only 10 weeks ago and although i have suffered with back pain on and off for 17 years i am still all rather new to this. I have had some very bad episodes where i can hardly walk and bouts of depression but at the moment i only take the medication when i feel i need it. The past 2 days i have only taken it 1st thing in the morning and today (so far) i haven't actually taken any.

Oh happy days X
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi I am nosey too,but I like to think it is because I love people!
    My hobbies are gymnastics-hence the name tkachev-(cant take part anymore but follow the up and coming youngsters).Since You tube I have been able to re-watch all the old competitions which is great.
    Love Northern Soul music(cannot dance to it anymore).Used to be good at creating gardens(cant do that either!)and have a collection of Sasha dolls!(Am I going to regret putting that down?)
    And I love football,have done since a little girl so I am glued to the T.V during the world cup etc and my OH hates football.
    R.A has unfortunately put paid to a lot of the things I love,but not all.
    Best wishes Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi all
    a010.gif

I'm rather new here and although i have spoke to some of you i'd like to get to know you all a bit better. I'm rather interested in what you all do as hobbies or things you like to do in you spare time.

Basically i'm just nosey :!:
    r035.gif

I enjoy knitting and crochet. I have been knitting for about 30 years now (i'm 34) and will put my hand to anything. My mum taught me to knit as her mum taught her. I taught myself to crochet through trial and error about 2 years ago. Now me and mum make baby items and sell on ebay. I only do it as a hobby, as long as i make enough to cover cost of yarn, buttons etc i'm happy. I pick up my knitting/crochet every day, normally in the evenings when watching tv. I'd be totally ,lost if for some reason i couldn't do it anymore.

c020.gif
    So what do you guys get up to?

ok, this is the truth, i really enjoy looking at the wonderful hand knitted stuff on ebay!!
    i am as we speak scrolling through looking for nice jumpers for my toddler! she loves jumpers and in this weather we need them, i've just bid and won a knitted fireman, fab! it's for my youngest, she also has a love of , well anything knitted! although she always tells people the postman knitted them, after all he delivered them lol!
    i cannot knit as my hands are bad but i enjoy (oh dear i'm going to sound mad now!) making toilet roll dolls, i buy sindys from charity shops and makes them dresses, i recently made a goth style toilet roll doll in a long purple dress, complete with hair extentions in red and black, i know mad!
    apart from that my other hobby is sleeping!!!
    sue
  • carol101
    Options
    I know all about the sleeping part Sue! I think it's down to my medication. Today i had a DRs appointment at 9.50 am and woke up at 12.30pm! Oh dear :o

I don't know if i'm allowed to say this (slapped wrist time probably)
    but my ebay ID is mrs.knitwits

Well i may as well promote myself since you browse

h015.gif
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Up until July I was a Headmistress of a little school and was always up to my neck with school/education stuff (Read workaholic -but a happy one)I resigned and finished work at the end of the school year and am coming to grips with finding things I like to do that don't revolve around work.

-I like learning new things and have studied continually until July this year. I feel weird about not having an assignment pending etc but also feel lucky :)
    -I love hanging out with my husband. He is my best friend even though sometimes we get cross with each other :lol:
    -I love my cats Widget and Alan and am convinced Alan is an alien in a cat jumpsuit, he is too wierd for words.
    -I used to love dancing and would be out every weekend shaking my groove thing until a couple of years ago
    -I love arty things like painting, sculpture, photography, performances and go to as much as I can. I love debating the virtues of modern art in particular and will play devils advocate just to get people thinking about it a bit more
    -I used to play Rugby Union and studied Shotokan Karate but now I go to games or tournaments instead and cheer my friends on
    -I love cooking/baking and love having people over for dinner. My friends call me a 'feeder' :shock: :)
    - I love exploring and enjoy travelling to far flung destinations and just round the corner as well! as long as it's different it's exciting!
    -I like singing/whistling and I do both alot when I am happy. I especially like to sing along to songs even if I don't know the words and make up my own 'better' version
    -I love being with my friends - they are amazing. I don't have many but the ones I do have are worth their weight in gold
    -I love visiting my friends and family in Australia just to do really normal stuff with them like enjoy a barbeque or sit by the river as the sun sets.
    -I like drinking coffee but am not addicted anymore and understand 'moderation'
    -I like life, challenges and being strong and think I have the constitution of and ox and the heart of a lion :lol:

A x
  • carol101
    Options
    Tkachev it always amazes me when i watch gymnastics on the tv......how do those people get so bendy? I have never been a sporty person. I like watching football but only the world/euro cup, i'm not interested in club football although i do have to sit through any Liverpool games with my hubby.

I like watching the soaps but since i do shift work i don't always get to see them. I also like 'real life' programs about the emergency services and health issues. I love cosmetic surgery programs although i don't think i would actually have it done myself. I'm just amazed what people go through just because they want a bigger bust or plumper lips. It's a bit different when it's for medical reasons though.

x
  • suzster
    Options
    thanks carol, i'm of to look on ebay again in a bit!!
    if you ever knit toddler size jumpers i'll be 1st in line lol.
    i got a thomas the tank engine jumper on there a while back and sarah (my toddler!) actually did a little happy dance when it got delivered! thats how much she loves jumpers!!
    oh and a knitted teletubbie, that has pride of place in her bed!
    i wish i could knit but if i can find fantastic stuff on ebay, why should i even try!!
    have you got anything on ebay now? i'll go look anyway! any excuse to look really!
    sue
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 26. Oct 2009, 07:32
    Options
    Well before I was diagnoised with OA I use to do a lot and I mean a lot of RC aerobatic glider flying.
    I also use to love canoe fishing and camping on the Thames, I've also done a lot of shooting but now I only do the odd spot of ratting with airguns at night and with my older dog in the day, I have a 1 year old Parsons Jack Russell cross and he will be worked for the first time this winter knees allowing that is.
    I know this isn't very PC but it stops the little devils messing in the grain that's used to make the bread we eat. It also avoids the use of poison which sometimes get picked up by red kites and barn owls. not to mention other raptors that will sometimes pick carrion.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    What a busy lot we seem to be!
    I'm 65, been married 44 years and have two daughters now in their 40's and four grandchildren.
    I knit and crochet, too, but currently I'm finding it hard to hold the needles. I read a lot and always have done; I've been lucky with all the jobs I've ever had, they've always been unusual and interesting and each time I've had to learn something completely different! I'm currently training others in my present job to take over when I leave (retire? Huh!) in the Spring.
    When I got worse a few years ago and had to cut my working hours, I built, decorated and furnished an enormous dolls' house - something I have always wanted; just had to wait 60 years for it!
    Don't think I will do another like that as the small bits are too fiddly to cope with now, but I have a couple of smaller projects in view.
    I'm not a telly-watcher and neither am I sports minded; all the time I was able we danced, I love music, any kind, any type - and I still boogie round the kitchen when the mood takes me and arther lets me!
    Annie
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I am a fairly sedantry person, I can't get around without my wheelchair, I like crosswords, knitting, tapestry (when my hands let me), reading, looking after hubby and cat, not forgetting my pc, which is very important to me love Jaspercatxx
  • carol101
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    thanks carol, i'm of to look on ebay again in a bit!!
    if you ever knit toddler size jumpers i'll be 1st in line lol.
    i got a thomas the tank engine jumper on there a while back and sarah (my toddler!) actually did a little happy dance when it got delivered! thats how much she loves jumpers!!
    oh and a knitted teletubbie, that has pride of place in her bed!
    i wish i could knit but if i can find fantastic stuff on ebay, why should i even try!!
    have you got anything on ebay now? i'll go look anyway! any excuse to look really!
    sue

Yes i have a matinee jacket, a baby blanket and a double bed throw on ebay at the moment. Currently making another baby blanket. If you want something in particular just let me know and i'll try and list it for you.

X
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    I love horse riding when I can get on board and hold the reins, I love going around the county shows showing them. well my daughter and hubby do that bit I just watch.
    I love training my dog Dexter Doodle who is a labradoodle and my man Friday.
    I love travelling and have just discovered train journeys.
    I love buying bargains off eBay I love my Internet.
    I love reading and finding out the stories behind the stories.
    I love TV. I love meeting new people and chatting.
    I love taking photos of any thing. I like making fascinators for special occasion's, I love going to the horse races on ladies day.
    I love having my hair done.
    thee that keeps me very busy usually.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Don't tell anyone but I'm actually an adult movie star :oops:

Luv Anonymous :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • annie_mial
    Options
    You always manage to make me laugh out loud, leggy Linda! What's the latest one called? 'Scars Of The Deep'?
    Annie
  • lindalegs
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    You always manage to make me laugh out loud, leggy Linda! What's the latest one called? 'Scars Of The Deep'?
    Annie

No, Joint Games :wink::wink:

r070.gif

....and how did you know it was me :?

XX
    Love, Legs x
  • annie_mial
    Options
    I'm invisible at the moment - I know everything (I wish).
    Annie
  • lindalegs
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    I'm invisible at the moment - I know everything (I wish).
    Annie

REALLY :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Well in that case I'm disappearing too - off to bed.

Night-night Annie.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • carol101
    Options
    Oh what are you lot like :lol:

Maybe we should all star in an adult movie

Suggestions for the title below please :lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    movie name the wobblers (as i wobble a bit when i walk in more ways than one.
    interests before arther keep fit ,walking ,keeping up with mates.
    now reading ,facebook for mates and games ,wathching murder misteries (sorry spelling crap) every couple of weeks meet mate for breakfast try different cafe each time and catch up.
    val
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    You lot making me blush :oops: :oops: :oops:

All this adult movie stuff.........naughty.....very naughty.....

Film name.............'Arther...........the alternative way'. :shock: :shock:

Well I understand what I mean...... 8) 8)

OK........I'll get my coat....... :roll: :roll:

Rob xx
    Roba045.gif
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    valval wrote:
    now reading ,facebook for mates and games ,wathching murder misteries (sorry spelling crap) every couple of weeks meet mate for breakfast try different cafe each time and catch up.

Sorry Val........when I read your suggestion for movie name...........my mind ran riot...... :shock: :shock:

Rob x x
    Roba045.gif
  • suzster
    Options
    Yes i have a matinee jacket, a baby blanket and a double bed throw on ebay at the moment. Currently making another baby blanket. If you want something in particular just let me know and i'll try and list it for you.

X[/quote]

hmmm, well at the moment my daughter is a size 3-4 yrs, jumpers are always better slightly bigger!!!
    something i'd really like is a poncho for her, they are so good to put on when she's in a pushchair and it's cold, she won't keep a cosytoes or blanket on but a poncho is perfect!! keeps her warm but she can't easily throw it off!!
    her puchchair is bright pink so it needs to match, or at least not clash!!
    if you can make one, please let me know!
    her grandma promised to make one last year but it never actually got done and i cannot find any nice ones in the shops, the ones i've found are not soft and snuggley like hand knitted wool ones!!!
    sue
  • suzster
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Don't tell anyone but I'm actually an adult movie star :oops:

Luv Anonymous :wink:

lol, i thought i recognised you!!!
    not that i watch that kind of thing!
    sue
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    robertls wrote:
    valval wrote:

Sorry Val........when I read your suggestion for movie name...........my mind ran riot...... :shock: :shock:

Rob x x[/quote
    thought rehab might have come up with that one u beet him well done
    val