What were you like?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 8. Nov 2009, 06:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

I found an old photo of myself when I was in my early twenties, and I was remembering what I was like then.

I was student in London then, in the "swinging sixties". I thought I was the bees knees in my little mini skirt, and with my Mary Quant haircut. I didn't have much money but loved being in London. It was such an exciting place to be at that time, with Carnaby Street, the King's Road, Chelsea, and dancing to all the wonderful pop and jazz music which was being played. One day, I walked right past Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithful out shopping on the King's Road, and they looked so marvellously decadent in their hippy type clothes. Flower Power was just beginning, and there was a sense that anything was possible, even world peace. I was very athletic, a champion high jumper, and good tennis player. Happy days!!

What were you like when you were young???

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan

To begin with I was all glitter and glam rock like my friends but then found myself and moved on to the hippy lifestyle :) long dresses, jeans and cheesecloth and of course my smelly afghan coat which I still have now :) Those were the days infact I married an old hippy, he's just denied this though :lol:

Love
    Vonski x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Joan

To begin with I was all glitter and glam rock like my friends but then found myself and moved on to the hippy lifestyle :) long dresses, jeans and cheesecloth and of course my smelly afghan coat which I still have now :) Those were the days infact I married an old hippy, he's just denied this though :lol:

Love
    Vonski x

Hi Vonski

I can see you now in that Afghan coat :!: :lol: Do you still wear it and remember :?: Marrying an old hippy was a good move if you have hung on to him all that time :!: :lol:

Joan
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Joan

No haven't worn it for years, think I'm a bit old now and it's still very smelly, coat not me :lol: Yep good move marrying my old hippy 31yrs so not bad :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Joan

No haven't worn it for years, think I'm a bit old now and it's still very smelly, coat not me :lol: Yep good move marrying my old hippy 31yrs so not bad :)

Love
    Vonski x

Well done Vonski :!: :!: I'm sure he is like a good vintage wine, improving with age :!: :D

Joan
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i was very into heavy metal and glam rock. big hair, tight shiny black leggings, dm boots and of course my leather jackets! one that was black with tassels and studs and one with a picture of ozzy osbourne painted on the back!
    most of my mates rode big bikes, harleys were my favourite! i actually went to a hells angels party once, would be terrified now but i went out with a man who worked in a bike shop that was run by the angels and he used to take me out on a very fast drag (harley) bike!
    i spent alot of time in london, i used to hang round the kerrang! (a heavy metal magazine) office on carnaby street hoping to see some famous people!!
    then at the age of 31 i married a goth!!
    sue
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    As a teenager i was very into the "Rave" seen, in the early 90s. used to go to a club, warehouse, field,where ever it was happening and Dance from 11pm till 7am then go home and sleep untill that eve then do it again :lol: that was my weekends for about 4 years.
    couldnt do it now and wouldnt want to.
    page
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    i was very into heavy metal and glam rock. big hair, tight shiny black leggings, dm boots and of course my leather jackets! one that was black with tassels and studs and one with a picture of ozzy osbourne painted on the back!
    most of my mates rode big bikes, harleys were my favourite! i actually went to a hells angels party once, would be terrified now but i went out with a man who worked in a bike shop that was run by the angels and he used to take me out on a very fast drag (harley) bike!
    i spent alot of time in london, i used to hang round the kerrang! (a heavy metal magazine) office on carnaby street hoping to see some famous people!!
    sue

Hi Suzster

My daughter was in the same class as Ozzys son Jack and I used to see him at school parent evenings.Apparently we were invited to his house for a party(my daughter reminded me the other day when she visited) but I realy dont remember that!

With two older brothers I was dragged along to see some Punk bands in 76 and 77 so got into that look but then into the mod/scooter scene from 78.That has been my life since then.Cannot get to many scooter rallies now but still have scooters and friends keep us in touch.
    We wore suede coats and knee length skirts,flat shoes and had short hair,then moved onto psychedelic look(I remember some of the guys in afghan coats and john lennon glasses)I still have my batwing paisley mini dress.Then the army green look came in with long plaited rats tails in our hair(remember that look Kate Kelly?),jackets covered in patches and boxing boots!Practical for sitting on the Lambrettas for long journeys in the cold,wet British weather.
    In photos I looked so young and healthy!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    thinking back 59 I was born 69 remember men landing on the moon and had to sit in the school and watch it on tele.70s I lived life as if every day was my last. was a fashion victim
    79 daughter came along
    89 well we'll say nothing about that year
    99 career change from retail management to social work
    2000 started to become ill
    2005 RA found me
    and then I started to live another life.
    slower than a snail but wouldn't change a day
    well I would if I could get rid of arther.
    forgot to say I was married at 17 and still am to the same man something of a record in my peer qroup.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Winkle picker shoes, acres of net petticoats
    under my dresses, bouffant hair, pan stick
    make up, yep, I am that
    old. :(

My hubby who I met when I was 16 had
    Italian style suits, drainpipe trousers but he
    didnt go for the whole teddy boy look of bootlace tie
    and beetle crushers (shoes).

We stayed together and coming up to our
    44th wedding anniversary, so we stood the
    test of time.

Kath
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi folks

It's very interesting to read about how we all remember ourselves. We all seem to define ourselves in terms of the fashions and music of the times, but can you remember what you were like as a person when you were young?

I think I was outwardly very confident, but inwardly very unsure of myself. I spent too much time worrying about what other people might think of me, and sometimes I didn't have the courage of my convictions.

Now, I am much more happy in my own skin, don't worry too much about what other people think, and I have become far more confident recently.

Joan
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    while at school very shy would not speak to teachers if did not have to
    at 12 joined gntc(girls side of sea cadets) stayed in till 21 had great fun made me much more confident and made loads of good pals
    late teens found boys less said the better
    22 got married to great bloke
    23 had first son
    25 had second son
    worked in factories/ shops even a pub .after kids collage lollypop lady/dinner lady then back to shop work
    who am i now well more confident stubborn and family orientated (still can not spell) good at listening to others and try not to judge like a quiet life long walks and good book
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    valval wrote:
    while at school very shy would not speak to teachers if did not have to
    at 12 joined gntc(girls side of sea cadets) stayed in till 21 had great fun made me much more confident and made loads of good pals
    late teens found boys less said the better
    22 got married to great bloke
    23 had first son
    25 had second son
    worked in factories/ shops even a pub .after kids collage lollypop lady/dinner lady then back to shop work
    who am i now well more confident stubborn and family orientated (still can not spell) good at listening to others and try not to judge like a quiet life long walks and good book

Hi Val

You are also a very sweet person.

Joan
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I used to panic easily and let things upset me.Also very quick tempered!Now I think things over before replying or getting upset,except on this forum where I am a bit trigger happy with my replies.I always mull things over or sleep on them nowadays!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

I used to be a bit hot-tempered too. I still have my moments, but I try to keep myself in check. It's not a pretty sight if I go ballistic :!: :shock: :shock:

I haven't noticed you being trigger happy :!:

Joan
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Joan.
    When i left school i got a job in factory where you made record players.
    when i was eighteen i started horse riding and my sister and i made friends with a girl and we are still friends now she was 10 and now she's 60.
    being shy and liking animals i never had any time for boys. i also took my dog to training class's
    i would walk my dog about 3 miles in to town i wonder if that as anything to do with arther.
    i cannot sit still for long now i go to the gym
    and the hydrotherapy pool.
    i have had a busy life i have not let cp stop me doing things. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    It was 62, 1962 that is! Paris France, I was 18 and looked like a Greek God :wink: The Mod needful of it's policy odf educating young soldiers decided to send me there for 2 years to help the war effort :roll: The Cold one that is, I wore green, one of the Mods fav colours with a fashionable black beret, which gained me big brownie points amongst the natives.

The ladies who frequented Pigalle and Mormarte were outstanding! who **** miniskirts not much wider than my belt and were more than willing to take me in hand( :shock: ) for a price and continue my education. Oh Happy Days!!!! :D

The Mod seeing how much I enjoyed myself and the effort I put into pleasing the local female populace decide cruelly to send me forth into the deserts of the Yemen where the populace were not very friendly. They should thier displeasure by shooting at me on a numbe of occassions, we hadn't even been introduced! Mind you I did get a nice T shirt out of it

I loved the 60's The 70's were a blast! :D

Oooo La La :!: :!: :!: :roll: :roll:

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Joan.
    When i left school i got a job in factory where you made record players.
    when i was eighteen i started horse riding and my sister and i made friends with a girl and we are still friends now she was 10 and now she's 60.
    being shy and liking animals i never had any time for boys. i also took my dog to training class's
    i would walk my dog about 3 miles in to town i wonder if that as anything to do with arther.
    i cannot sit still for long now i go to the gym
    and the hydrotherapy pool.
    i have had a busy life i have not let cp stop me doing things. joan xx

Hi Joan

Shame you couldn't have liked animals and boys. One doesn't rule out the other :!: Mind you, the animals were probably more easy to train, so It would have its advantages :!:

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Exactly what the ladies used to say Joan and this was in the days before you could buy a dongle :shock:

Boasting again :?: :?: :?:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm with Kath - I well remember wearing 30 yards of petticoats under a 3 yard skirt, and the tight little jumpers we used to wear, too. Looking at today's fashions, well, what goes around comes around!
    To my grief I couldn't wear winkle pickers, but I could and did wear killer heels!
    I met my husband while showing off my rock n' roll - we've just celebrated our 44th anniversary.
    I've also got a photo taken of me at a wedding sometime in the 70's I think - I appear to be wearing a bucket on my head together with a suit which I remember was emerald green, but the skirt seems to have disappeared altogether.........

Annie
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    suzster wrote:
    sue

Hi Suzster

My daughter was in the same class as Ozzys son Jack and I used to see him at school parent evenings.Apparently we were invited to his house for a party(my daughter reminded me the other day when she visited) but I realy dont remember that!

With two older brothers I was dragged along to see some Punk bands in 76 and 77 so got into that look but then into the mod/scooter scene from 78.That has been my life since then.Cannot get to many scooter rallies now but still have scooters and friends keep us in touch.
    We wore suede coats and knee length skirts,flat shoes and had short hair,then moved onto psychedelic look(I remember some of the guys in afghan coats and john lennon glasses)I still have my batwing paisley mini dress.Then the army green look came in with long plaited rats tails in our hair(remember that look Kate Kelly?),jackets covered in patches and boxing boots!Practical for sitting on the Lambrettas for long journeys in the cold,wet British weather.
    In photos I looked so young and healthy!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I remember going to Northern Soul all nighters, thr guys talcing the floor before they danced. My first time on a scooter....

Still pop into mod night every now and again, although I was also into rockabilly, psychobilly.

Anne
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I was a rocker for a few years. oh those head banging days. then i went all popy again still like the rock tracks Queen, bonejovi, ozzy, deep purple,to name a few
    Joanne
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi Joan

i'll let you know what i was like when i was younger when i'm old enough :lol: i'm only 34 so still young! :lol:

Carol X
  • joanlawson
    Options
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi Joan

i'll let you know what i was like when i was younger when i'm old enough :lol: i'm only 34 so still young! :lol:

Carol X

Why? Have you forgotten being 17 already :?: :D

Joan
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    carol101 wrote:
    Hi Joan

Carol X

Why? Have you forgotten being 17 already :?: :D

Joan

I remember being 17 really well, it was when i 1st started having back trouble which turned out to be arthur! I was very much into 80's pop music, in fact, i still like it! All the boy bands and the love of my life was Jason Donovan :oops: (Neighbours, pop singer, stared in Joseph & the amazing technological coloured coat) I was just as 'homely' back then as i am now. Liked going to friends houses but wasn't into going clubbing/pubing so much. Still done knitting and crochet back then. Always wanted to work with children but there isn't much money in that. Got myself qualified as a dress maker, worked in a couple of residential homes.Was never going to get married! Apart from getting married, i haven't really changed much!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    valval wrote:
    while at school very shy

Hi Val

You are also a very sweet person.

Joan[/q
    u would not say that if u up set one of my kids (well when they were few years back) they come home from there pals house in tears one day the person next door who they called the whitch told them she did not want them near there house as they break peoples windows with out owning up to it. well i saw red went down there and asked her which window and then told her in no uncertain terms that she was wrong and to leave my kids alone i then went to my next door neighbor who had started it his double glazed window had cracked and he found a deflated plastic football in his yard and decided it was my kids well i must admit put him straight on that as there was no way either of them could kick hard enough to make the ball travel that distance and the ball was one of those cheep plastic ones which would break nothing. i was shaking with rage when i got in poor kids had done nothing wrong and were scared stiff . must admit it the only time i have lost it like that but u have to look after your kids and they r not angles but would have said something if they had done it. they were so upset because they had not done it .
    val