Life is a fragile thing

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 10. Nov 2009, 15:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I just heard the news today that my brother in law has had a heart attack and has been rushed to hospital. My sister is frantic with worry, and I am waiting to hear from her how he is. She has her two daughters with her, and is too far away for me to go.

I am very fond of my BIL. He is a wonderful character, with a very dry sense of humour. He teases me mercilessly, and always has done. I was only 14 when my sister met him, so at a sensitive age, and he made me learn to laugh at myself. He was a wing commander in the RAF, and he used to fly Vulcan bombers when he was young.

I am hoping for good news because they got him to hospital very quickly, but it has made me realise that life is a fragile thing. I'm sure he knows, but now I wish I had told him how much I love him as a member of my family.

So really, my message is to tell those you love more often how you feel about them, and don't put it off. None of us knows what might happen tomorrow, so don't leave it too late,

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Joan
    I wish you all all the very best a that he makes a good and speedy recovery.
    Lots of love
    Toni xx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Sorry to hear this news Joan my thoughts are with you and your family. Hope for a speedy recovery for your BIL.

Love
    Vonski x
  • multimac
    multimac Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Joan

Sorry to hear about your bil, he is in the best place its amazing what they can do and how quick they react.
    I had a heart attack last year only 47yrs old and I was in and had a stent fitted with in 5 hours, I was back to work within 8 weeks and although i am on medication for the rest of my life I feel pretty good. I have more concerns about my arthritic knees than my heart.
    I hope your bil recovery is rapid.

chris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi yes we do tend to put off till tomorrow what we could do today but i am sure he already knows how u feel as i am sure your actions talk louder than words. so fingers r crossed for him sending u positive thoughts and wish u all well take care val
    val
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan

I am very sorry to hear your unhappy news and hope that your BIL has the best care possible in the hospital.

I have heard much very sad news of late and it does make me sit up with a jolt and revalue what really is important to me.

I do hope you hear favourable news soon.

Love
    Elna x()
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Joan, so sorry to hear your news. I'm sure the hospital will have the most modern and efficient equipment.
    My hubby had a heart attack at only 37, they were fantastic, although he had to be resuccitated, he recovered really well, on meds for rest of life, but thats not important.
    Your brother lin law is in the best place, so best wishes to your sister and all the family
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    oh Joan, my thoughts are with you and your sister, i really hope you get good news.
    take care hunny.
    lots of love Sally.xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi

Thank you all for your good wishes. My BIL is in Stoke Mandeville hospital, and he is in good hands. My sister has just rung to tell me that they are doing lots of tests on him, but he is holding his own so far.

Joan
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi

Thank you all for your good wishes. My BIL is in Stoke Mandeville hospital, and he is in good hands. My sister has just rung to tell me that they are doing lots of tests on him, but he is holding his own so far.

Joan

Told you he would be ok it must have had something to do with all of us lot using the power of thought Joan!, thank god for the NHS and emergency services.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Joan

Really sorry to read this, what a shock for you all. It's understandable that wish you could be there with them. Am thinking of you all and sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Chris
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi Joan
    What a horrible time for you and your family. He is in good hands at SM. I wish him well, meantime thinking of you and sending you cyber hugs and all good wishes
    Gillx
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    chin up Hun I'm sure things will be fine.
    thinking on you and your family.

lots of love
    Debbierose.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joan,

I was so sorry to read your post and can only echo what the others have said. I really hope he will recover soon be home again. I will add my thoughts for your BIL and send you a hug as well. Cris x

Hi Elna,

Just a ((( ))) love Cris x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm so sorry, Joan. I know Stoke Mandeville well, he will get the best of care there.

Love
    Annie
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Joan,
    Your post has really struck a chord with me: My beloved Godmother passed away last week very suddenly. The last time I spoke to her instead of saying I love you I told her off for not going to the Doctors. Now I will never have the chance to tell her again that I love her nor will my children. We are all devastated.
    So tell all the special people in your life just what they mean to you as you do not know how long they will be with you for.
    Mo's funeral is on friday which is over 2 weeks since her death (because of the suddeness of it and lack of medical history there had to be a post mortem), we all feel as if we are in limbo and are almost looking forward to it so we can somehow move on. But no matter what I will never forgive myself for not telling her I loved her that last day.
    Kate x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    So sorry to hear this Joan. My thoughts are with you all. Your sister will be devastated. Take great care of her........Ange
  • joanlawson
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Joan,
    Your post has really struck a chord with me: My beloved Godmother passed away last week very suddenly. The last time I spoke to her instead of saying I love you I told her off for not going to the Doctors. Now I will never have the chance to tell her again that I love her nor will my children. We are all devastated.
    So tell all the special people in your life just what they mean to you as you do not know how long they will be with you for.
    Mo's funeral is on friday which is over 2 weeks since her death (because of the suddeness of it and lack of medical history there had to be a post mortem), we all feel as if we are in limbo and are almost looking forward to it so we can somehow move on. But no matter what I will never forgive myself for not telling her I loved her that last day.
    Kate x

Hi Kate

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother's death, and that there had to be a post mortem.

I am sure she knew how much you loved her, so you mustn't feel guilty in any way. I know how much my grandchildren love me, even if they are too busy having fun to tell me. That's how children should be.

Joan
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Joan I will be thinking of you and your family and hope your brother inlaws condition improves.

Take care of each other

Arna x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joan

I'm sorry to hear about your BIL, I do really hope that he makes a speedy recovery.

They can do so much these days Joan, he is in a very good hospital

sending these to you

((((((hugs)))))) from

Trisher xxx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Sorry to hear this Joan, hope your BIL continues to improve.

Kate- sorry to hear about your godmum too, when someone dies it is natual to feel guilt, but you shouldnt, you were telling her off for not seeing the dcs cos you love her she will have known that.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Joan

Really sorry to read this sad news.I hope he recovers well.Good place Stoke Mandeville,my eldest son was born there.Lovely staff and facilities.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Joan,

Kate you brought tears to my eyes cos I never told my dad I loved him the day he died.He had a sudden heart attack.I had phoned him earlier and just asked to speak to my mum and then hours later he was gone.I regret this to this day,20 years later.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you all for your messages and support. It really does mean a lot. My BIL has had to have two blood transfusions because his blood count was so low. We are waiting for the results of the tests, but he is stable.

Joan
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Joan

I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law. I know how you must be feeling. It is a very worrying time for you but they can do some wonderful things these days.

I hope you come back with some good news. In the meantime, I'm thinking about you and your family at this most worrying of times.

All the very best Joan
    love
    Joy
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Joan.
    i'm sorry i've only just seen your post.
    i hope your bil is comming a long fine.
    i will be thinking about you and him.
    joan xx
    Kate
    sorry about your godmother.
    no body expects it to happen it is a shock because we love them.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx