Help with naming

Options
frogmorton
frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
edited 12. Nov 2009, 12:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi guys
Some of you will remember that my old cat died in July :( (Eric Catona)
Since then my bros cat has made some kittens and I am having one on Monday :D
I am struggling to find a name for HER.
(Girl cats i have only had one in the past called Matilda (Tilly) Foxtrotter).
She is fair bit white with some tabby on her back and even some trotoiseshell colouring too!
Thanks in advance
Toni xx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Like Lynn said congratulations on your new family member :D I won't suggest names though cus..... well...... Toni you know what some of mine are called and names for me should never be human and well fit the employers......... Hence 2 of mine are just initials, though they did choose them themselves :wink::lol::lol: xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Lynn
    I am looking forward to having her thanks :)
    i agree it is hard when you haven't spent time with her.
    Funnily ehough one of mine suggested tinkerbelle!
    Toni x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    my cats names have always been a bit odd!
    at the moment we have
    Ginger (because he's ginger!)
    Ollie (because i love the name, but never had a boy baby!)

in the past i've had lots of cats. girls called
    stinky (because she was a smelly kitten)
    flakey
    rhapsody
    harmony

and boys called
    scrappy
    monkey
    ozzy
    nommy
    thingy

not all at the same time though! but my name idea's are always odd!

congratulations on your new little kitten! i bet you are very excited!
    i'll have a think about names and get back to you. maybe wait until you have her and see what she's like?
    sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Toni

Little Lola's (14 month grand daughter) female kitten is called Bubbles! As soon as she was brought home, Lola never had any trouble with her name. She is good at saying words beginning with "b" :lol::lol:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Toni

I am sooooooooooo envious of you :!: :!: I love cats, and a kitten is something special. You and I would get on famously, because I always like cat-lovers.

The naming of cats is a serious business, I think, because they don't like it if you get it wrong. We adopted a cat once from a couple who didn't want him. They had called him Pluto, and I could tell he wasn't happy with it. I renamed him Ollie, and he was so much happier after that. I know it might have been due to the good food and care we gave him too :!: :lol: Here's a quote from Ernest Hemingway, who was a cat-lover:

"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not."

Also, " I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior" ............. Hippolyte Taine.

You could wait until you get her, and then see what her personality is like. A suggestion from another quote, " A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the animal kingdom", suggests Rosie to me.

She is a mixture of colours, so Candy might be appropriate. Other female cats I've had are Sophie, Minnie, Suzie, and Frankie. The last one was named after Frank Sinatra because of his blue eyes. We thought the kitten was male, but then realised she was female
    :!: I like Elna's grand- dughter's name, Lola, too. I can't wait to know what you decide now :!:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi All!
    Oh thank you for all your help.
    Yes Joan I am very happy. I never thought I would be able to do this again as having to hav Eric put to sleep was too awful.
    The girls are so exited and I know this will be the puss who listens to their troubles like Eric had too :wink:
    I also agree that it might be an idea to spend a bit of time with her to finalise her name - that's what I did with Lucy (daughter!!) and I have never regretted it.
    She will be 11 weeks when I get her on Monday (going to caravan at the weekend - so waiting till I get back)
    Suzster that' a load of names! Wow! you gonna think of more?Also on the shortlist is Daisy Deerstalker.....
    Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Daisy Deerstalker is really good :D You will have to wait and see when you see her, and sometimes names just come to you then.......... Since I used 'Something' and 'Thingmummy' for the last two......... Sometimes names don't as well :wink: xx

Hi Joan,

Mine all respond to each others names along with 'is this **** hungies' and 'quickly, quickly, quickly' so I don't think they mind what they are called :wink: That, by the way, is called in a very high pitched odd voice........... x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Our neighbours have called their kitten, Bella.
    xx
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Our neighbours have called their kitten, Bella.
    xx
    Short to Talulabell or tinkerbelle maybe.....
    mmmm....
    Toni x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Joan,

Mine all respond to each others names along with 'is this **** hungies' and 'quickly, quickly, quickly' so I don't think they mind what they are called :wink: That, by the way, is called in a very high pitched odd voice........... x[/quote]
    The voice everyone....
    has to be heard to be beleived....
    mind you it works....

my friend use to call hers to:

"Puss Puss Puss! 'ere y'ar ere y'ar"
    and when I fed them for her I had to do the same :oops:
    Toni x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i love the name daisy, very firlie, but nice!

yes my cats have nicknames to.
    ollie, who is a truly annoying cat! always up to mischief and he gets called 'poo head' by me alot! or 'shed' (i won't admit what thats short for, but it's something head, that will give you a clue!) he is a real yo-yo cat, cries to go out, cries to come in 5 min later and carries on all night and day, drives me mad, but he is such a pretty cat and very cuddly!
    ginger is a real softy. i tend to call him 'ginger pop pops', no idea why!
    sue
  • frogmorton
    Options
    cat! always up to mischief and he gets called 'poo head' by me alot! or 'shed' (i won't admit what thats short for, but it's something head, that will give you a clue!) he is a real yo-yo cat, cries to go out, cries to come in 5 min later and carries on all night and day, drives me mad, but he is such a pretty cat and very cuddly!
    ginger is a real softy. i tend to call him 'ginger pop pops', no idea ]

You gotta mess about with their names haven't you? Eric was Ezza or Ezzie-paws, arthur Arty or Art the*art!!!
    One of my dogs became coochie near!!!
    Oh dear now i think I am loosing it :oops:
    Toni x
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi, in the past i have had a male cat called Tibby and a female called fluffy (and she wasn't even fluffy!) I also had a female dog called Sharney.

Now i have 2 boy cats called Gizmo and Taz, 2 female rabbits called TC and Loppy and a female dog called Rosie. Rosie came about because i like pink!

My friend once had a female cat called Mouse!

Carol X
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah! Carol!
    They are lovely names :)
    Mouse eh? mmmmm....
    I understand the surname 'Mousecatcher', but Mouse?
    Toni x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Toni

You lucky thing getting a kitten, my neighbour has warned me she's very allergic so I can't have another :cry: How about Pebbles with all those colours.

Love
    Vonski x
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    A HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You are all so funny with your cats! You are as mad as we are here!! :lol::lol:

I love my kitty cats - at the moment I have Widget (tabby)and Alan (black) and they are snuggled up beside me as I type :D

I think cats need a name that suits them so we have had cats with human names and made up names.

Girls have included

Tippy
    Ebony
    Cassie
    Francene the Beauty Queen aka Franny
    Apples
    Lucy

And some of my boys have been

Magpie
    Spartacus
    Greg
    Jake
    Roy
    Scooter

Ahh the memories! What special little friends I have had!

Enjoy your little kitten, I will be looking forward to hearing what they will be named!

A x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    HI Vonski
    taht's no good - having an allergic neighbour :( She must have to rely on you being a good neighbour yourself then
    Must be a proper allergy then - like the swelling up type :(
    Pebbles, pebbles eh?
    mmmm.....
    worth consideration.
    Thanks!
    Toni x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Toni
    congrats on having a new kitten :D
    i like pebbles :D
    mums cat was Kitkat real name Biscuit
    my friend has cats called
    Willow
    Cookie
    Buttons- he just died lovely cat
    Bubbles is a really good one too
    oh how will you decide? let us know what you chose. who makes final decision? you or girls?
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Toni

Yep she swells like a balloon plus the hives too, but if she doesn't behave!!!!!!!! Just thought with all those colours she could be like pebbles on the beach :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    GoGo...... .KitKat........ :oops: that one has been mentioned.

XX

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,941
    Options
    H Toni.
    i think puzzle
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Until this last one, I'd only ever had boys, and they were:

Mr. Henry (usually 'Enery!)
    Dasher (maddest cat I ever came across and also the blackest cat)
    Boyo (no idea why, it just happened)

The current one is called Tillie, but she's a rescue cat and was already named when we got her. She's pushing 16 now, and has the honour of being the most dimwitted cat I have ever had.

But one and all, they have given us hours of fun and amusement and have been so affectionate and loving.

Hubby says no more when Tillie goes..................

Annie
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Me again :roll:
    We have 2 white rabbits, they have had lots of names (dont ask :roll: )
    my faviorite ones for them were Candy and Floss :lol:
    now they are both called RABBIT :!:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    All my cats have had ITalian names-Luigi, Marco and Geno but they were all boys. So I like Bella (Elna's suggestion).
    Kit Kat is cute too.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Until this last one, I'd only ever had boys, and they were:

Mr. Henry (usually 'Enery!)
    Dasher (maddest cat I ever came across and also the blackest cat)
    Boyo (no idea why, it just happened)

The current one is called Tillie, but she's a rescue cat and was already named when we got her. She's pushing 16 now, and has the honour of being the most dimwitted cat I have ever had.

But one and all, they have given us hours of fun and amusement and have been so affectionate and loving.

Hubby says no more when Tillie goes..................

Annie

Hi Annie

I said no more too after my old cat died. Then shortly afterwards, a bedraggled, scruffy tabby cat appeared out of no-where. He was ill and starving, so I took him to the vet, while I tried to find out who he belonged to. I never did find out, so 6 years later he is still with me ( Tommy Tucker, who sings for his supper ) I think the old cat sent a message and told him there was a vacancy.

I like Beatrix Potter names for cats:

Tabitha Twitchett

Miss Moppet

Mrs. Ribby.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif