Options
124»

Comments

• chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Iris :D

Am so pleased to see this, and glad the meeting is over for you after such a long battle. Wow seems like you have succeeded on all levels the phrased return and help during work. So nice to hear such a positive result I do hope lots of peeps do take heart from this and do stand up for themselves the way you have. Do let us know how things go when you are back.
    Hope you are feeling better these days after the poorly wrist and knee probs. I am so chuffed for you and am sure you will sleep a little better this evening.
    take care
    Chris xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    thanks Chris,
    I am so glad this is over...it's been hanging over me for such a long time and I didn't dare hope it would turn out as well as it has. I've been very lucky to have been able to access the right kind of support and information but it has been stressful, no doubt about that.

I still think that we peeps with arther get a terrible raw deal at work....you just need to read the posts on this forum to know that. Rights and responsibilities under DDA are not well enough known or understood by employers, far less us lesser mortals! If it's ever to be effective the government needs to consider ways of monitoring how/ if employers implement the guidance and when they don't fulfil their duties... of enforcing it. We peeps shouldn't have to do battle to get agencies and employers to provide the support we need to let us keep on working.

I think I'd better get off my soap box now :!:

I really do hope that other peeps will fight their corner too; one thing I have learned is that arther peeps know far better than any assessor, or OT or OH what we need.....if 'they' would just listen!

thanks too for asking about the wobbly knee and the wrist...I'm seeing the surgeon next Tuesday, 9th to discuss the wrist replacement...and hoping that the new med, when it starts, will sort the rest..otherwise who knows! Irisx
  • chris7
    Options
    Hi again Iris

Believe me I understand a little of the battle you have fought. Unfortunately I too battled with a former employer, pre arther and over a different issue but sadly did not have the support or information I needed and eventually after almost 2 years of grief and fighting alone, I gave up the fight at the last hurdle (tribunal) to save my sanity. But oh boy I take some comfort from the fact that I gave many very senior people a really hard time trying to wriggle out of things and no doubt left them asking alot of internal tricky questions within the County Council. :D It took them some expensive lawyer to watch their backs for them, just to get little old me to stop asking awkward questions.
    This is one of the reasons why I have taken a real interest here and admire your courage, and strength of character to keep going. I really hope it does inspire others with a fight on their hands to learn their rights and get all the support they need to see it through.
    Hope all goes well for you next week
    Chris xx
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    What a fantastic result :D
    im so, so pleased for you......
    im still on my phased return and it really does help you get back into the flow of work again....
    Mentally im in a much better place as my collegues are a great bunch( shame about my manager...lol...but the people on here give me the strength to fight her)
    Gosh i bet your still in a state of shock :D :shock: ...lol
    Let me know how your first day back goes...
    love
    Kay
    xxx....ps bit young for Lenny the lion....i was more of a play school girl....
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    :D I'm nearly in tears I'm so happy to hear things have worked out for you Iris. You have fought long and hard for this and I'm sure you're relieved and delighted that they've agreed to all your needs being met. I hope now that you will be able to get a Scribe you can get along with, you'll be doing the interview will you?
    You have been such an inspiration and support to everyone on here, even when you've been having such a dreadful time yourself. I for one am priveledged to know you and your courage despite this illness has known no bounds. Underneath it all your humanity and pain have also come through and only make me respect you more.
    I hope so much that you get your wrist sorted out, and it's easier for you. good luck for your appointment.
    Well done
    rita :)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    iris that great news well done could not have been better for you
    val
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Well done - it is great to hear a good news story from the world of work. You are an inspiration.

Jean and the Forum Team
  • dorcas
    edited 7. Mar 2010, 04:58
    Options
    Thanks again Chris for all your support....and for sharing what your own very stressful and difficult experience with your former employer...you must be a very plucky and determined individual to have battled on for 2yrs... Wow!
    I was physically and emotionally drained in coping for just five months, so admire your strength of character in having fought your corner for that length of time. I'll know who to call on if I need an ally in any future battles!
    It would be wonderful to think that other peeps will have an easier time and get the proper support...as as is their right.. when arther starts to affect ability to continue to work, but I think we are a long way off from that.
    So Chris, your words of support and encouragement will no doubt be needed.... and others, like me, will be grateful for them. Irisx
  • dorcas
    edited 7. Mar 2010, 04:58
    Options
    Hi Kay,
    thanks for your support and I'm so glad you are finding being back at work so rewarding...despite your rotten manager!

I am still reeling from yesterday's intense meeting and pinching myself to check that I didn't just dream the result!

I agree with you that the support from other peeps on this forum is what gives us strength to cope with the difficulties we face...and I for one don't know how I would have managed without this great community!

Irisx
    (I laughed that you don't know of Lenny the Lion! no-one has admitted to remembering him but me!)
  • dorcas
    edited 7. Mar 2010, 04:59
    Options
    Oh Rita, what a message! I don't know if I deserve a quarter...no, an eighth.. of the nice things you have said but I am very very humbled by your comments......and did shed a tear when I read it! :oops:
    You have been such a constant support, both privately and on the forum and have helped in no small measure in 'keeping me going' during all the ups and downs. thanks a bundle......x

You've also had your own work issues to deal with and I hope your phased return with the recent additional hours has been working out and not tiring you too much?

I am really looking forward to seeing the surgeon next week (how sad is that) so that I can get that wrist sorted out. I've started practising some of the more delicate personal tasks using just the fused wrist .........so I'm getting prepared for going in!
    hugs ((()))
    Irisx
  • dorcas
    Options
    valval wrote:
    iris that great news well done could not have been better for you
    Val,
    thank you so much!
    the outcome has been better than I could ever have hoped for and made all the battling with bosses, dwp, HR and OH worthwhile......

I know you've not been having such an easy time of it recently so I appreciate your support all the more . Irisx
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thanks so much Jean and the 'team'. ':D'
    I have absolutely no doubt that I would have given up the fight long ago had I not found the Forum and been able to post what was happening as it all unfolded.
    Without exaggeration, the advice from the helpline and the continued support and encouragement from the other Forum peeps were a real lifeline for me and kept me going, especially when the stress was getting too much. ':!:'

I just hope I can now put the knowledge and experience to good use in supporting others and that other folks who are going through the same difficulties at work take heart and fight to get the results they deserve. Irisx
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Well..the day has almost come as I start back to work tomorrow. I am feeling a little anxious about it :shock: but hoping that everything that has been agreed will fall into place. :wink:

I was in last week, just for an hour to have a chat with the girl who's been assigned to support me...I know her very well and am happy that she has been seconded as my assistant.

I had been worrying that if they took on a 'new' person (which was what was discussed) that when I go off work again in June for my wrist replacement surgery s/he would be out of a job...as the finances from Access to Work are available and linked to me being physically present week by week at my job.

...sooo here goes. :shock:

thanks again everyone, for all the support, advice and messages.....
    I think this finally is the end of this thread. :D:D:D:D:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Iris x
  • chris7
    Options
    Hi Iris

Not quite the end of the thread. :D Just calling in to send best wishes for you tomorrow. It certainly sounded like they had put all the recommendations in place for you and really hope all goes well.
    take care and let us know how things go.
    Chris

ps hope the dogs forgiven now? :roll:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Iris,
    just been reading through the later stages of your work battles - no wonder you are so knowledgeable!! Sounds like you have all the support in place - I wish you all the best for tomorrow. Have you met your "work aide" yet? I hope they are nice.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Just popped in to wish you all the best for your 1st day back at work
    After my bout of 6months sickness I was dreading my 1st day back but it felt like id never been away!
    So Good luck & let us know how it all went
    Love Maria x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    i hope all goes well xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • ritwren
    Options
    Well Dorcas how did it all go I wonder. I'm sure it was very strange being back and no doubt you're exhausted.You know we're all rooting for you.
    rita :)
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Chris, speedalong, Maria, bertyboy and ritwren :!: :!:

thank you all for your good wishes :D:D

It is strange being back at work especially with the adjustments that have been made now and in place to support me. It definitely slows the pace of work down which is probably just as well as my brain is still mush! :shock:

The assistant I have is really good and she anticipates what I need before I've even thought of it myself!....takes a bit of getting used to; it's like being shadowed but by someone with your best interests at heart.

I am only in two hours a day...which really is nothing.....but I'm surprised at how tired I am. :roll:

My new treatment, infliximab, has been put on hold until after my next op in June so arther is fearsome just now, which doesn't help me with trying to work :x but I phoned rheumy and am just back from hospital having had another IM steroid injection, so fingers crossed arther will calm down. The rheummy said they will keep giving me steroid jabs until after the op as compensation for not being on the anti TNFs !

so I have a lot to be thankful for just now and even if me working won't be sustainable in the long term I will have given it my best shot!. :mrgreen:

Iris x

and...
    Yes Chris....Ruby and Jakey boy have been forgiven (Dumb and Dumber thread) :roll: :wink:
  • ritwren
    Options
    It's good to hear things at work are going your way but totally understandable that you are exhausted. I'm surprised you are able to work at all considering how unwell you are Dorcas. Don't be hard on yourself and make sure you allow plenty of treats. I hope the steroid injections help ease the pain for you.
    You've more than given it a go Dorcas you've really fought tooth and nail to get help and showed us all that you can make things work for you sometimes but it takes guts and determination a strong will and a lot of reading up on rights etc.... If I can be half as strong when and if the time comes I'll be doing well.
    bye for now
    rita
    :)