swine flu jab

Options
kezzo1
kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
edited 6. Dec 2009, 13:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
is anyone having or had this? i cant decide whether to or not i have flu jab but does that mean im half protected anyway?? xx

Comments

• lyndagodbeer
    lyndagodbeer Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I could not make my mind up either. But it was taken out of my hands as my 14 year old son has had Swine flu since Tuesday last week, and seeing how ill he has been I would not want it.

I managed to get an appointment for my Swine flu jab on Friday as we only found out he had Swine flu on Thursday evening. I have had no ill effects from the jab other than a sore arm in the muscle where the jab went in. The normall flu jab does not cover it.
    Lynda
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi Kezzo!

I had my seasonal jab two weeks ago and hubby and I had swine flu jabs last Thursday. They also gave him the seasonal jab at the same time. I go back on the 10th Dec for a swine flu booster.

It has been fine, other than a sore arm for a couple of days I wouldn't have known the difference. Hubby took some Lemsips on Friday as he felt a bit yuck and that's all I have to report. :)

I am happy to have had the jabs, one of my friends was very sick with swine flu so I think it is worth it.

Hope you are doing well.xx

Arna x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    As I take Methotrexate and Leflunomide which both suppress my immune system I didn't hesitate when asked if I wanted the swine flu jab as well as the seasonal one.

I go on Thursday for my first one, and apparently those of us on immunosuppressant meds have to have two jabs - two weeks apart I think.

My hubby has the seasonal flu jab because of his asthma, but even if he didn't have the asthma he would qualify for the swine flujab just for living with me.

Neither of us have any qualms about having the jab - the thought of swine flu is far greater than our fear of the jab.

I'll let you know how I get on on Thursday!
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    yes!
    me and my hubby and 2 daughters had our swine flu jab last friday. none of us had any reactions apart from a slightly sore arm, we all thought it felt like a bruise, but nothing more!
    sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm down to have mine next Thursday.

If I die I'll let you know :shock:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • suzster
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

lol linda, please don't forget to tell us or we'll be looking everywhere for you, it'll be a new forum thing, 'hunt the linda'
    you'll be fine.
    i worried so much about mine, well i worried that sarah would scream the place down, or i couldn't hold her still, but the nurse was fab! did she cry? no! a minute or 2 after the jab was done she said "ow, lady hurt my arm mummy" and that was it, she still say's every now and then that her arm hurts where the lady put medicine in it, i'm not sure she'll be so trusting when she has the next jab in a few weeks!
    ellie, paniced, got upset when she watched sarahs being done, but the nurse again was fab so it was over in a second and we all left smiling lol!
    any way, back to you linda, you'll be fine, if you want me to hug you while the nurse jabs you i will!
    sue
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

I was just eating a highly illicit sweetie when I read that, Legs; they've only just stopped me choking........it took me by surprise :!: :!:

Do let us know - we like messages from Beyond.

I'm having mine Saturday 5th - I'll let you know, too!

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    I'm Down for it as well.

I will tell you how I get on.

I had a dream about it last night, I got to to the bit where I was just having it done and the nurse woke me up. They did not say if I screamed, so I don't know the end.

They have not starting giving them out yet in my area. They have said they are waiting for it.

Trisher xxx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, after alot of thought I have decided to have mine once I get a letter, I think that it will be better to be covered, I catch things very easily and I take ages to recover from colds etc, Malcolm has decided to have his too love Jaspercatxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I decided it can't be too risky afterall they're giving it to children and pregnant women - not just folk like us.

But I'm willing to have all hugs on offer - thanks Suz (any excuse for a squeeze) and I shall demand a smartie afterwards cos I like illicit sweets too, they taste better than legal ones :wink: )

PS Get out your Ouija Boards on Friday just to be on the safe side because I'll be wanting to give arthritis advice even from the other side :wink::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi
    i am still undecided too. the main thing is should i get the kids done??
    if i dont and they get very ill i will never forgive myself, but if i have them done and there is some long term side effects that come to light i will never forgive myself there either.
    the more i read the more i cant decide :x :roll:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am due my swine flu jab on Wednesday.I did read some anti-swine flu websites but I know swine flu would be dreadful as I suffer breathing probs.... I once stupidly told a doctor that it would be trouble with breathing that will kill me!
    Linda,if anything happens we will ascend together!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    I am due my swine flu jab on Wednesday.I did read some anti-swine flu websites but I know swine flu would be dreadful as I suffer breathing probs.... I once stupidly told a doctor that it would be trouble with breathing that will kill me!
    Linda,if anything happens we will ascend together!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth

....we can have an ARC forum in the sky ....and even become Mods :shock:

Luv Legs :lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    well :shock: when I went for my MTX injection today the nurse gave me my swine flu injection as well! :shock: instead of tomorrow

So I have a sore arm but don't have to go back tomorrow - just in three week's time for the second dose (cos of teh MTX lowering immunity)

apparently I was only the 15th to get it from our surgery and most of the others were the staff :lol::lol: so they all have sore arms but said that was all.
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:

Hey Linda.....why is it I suspect you might end up somewhere hot d030.gif
    OK, just kidding!

mmm, I for one am a great believer in having contact with spirits b020.gif hic! hic!

Seriously, my OH had his last week. Next day he felt a bit 'off' and I said 'it could be the jab you had' then 2 days later his arm started to hurt! He's fine now though. I shall have mine when I am summoned :|

Jackie x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    I'm still here! :D:D

arm not very sore at all this morning and feeling OK, although joints sore cos I have done too much :roll: again!

hubby will no doubt be sore this evening so will give him as much tlc as he gave me yetsreday (not a lot :wink: but I did get some hugs :D ))
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Got my appointment for the swine flu jab.

Now, I'm not afraid of needles, but I do worry about putting drugs into my body and what affect they could have. However all the medics said I must have it :(

So, I was quite concerned when a friend said she had tried to dissuade her daughter from having it because she knew of two people who had had a really bad reaction! One chap had real trouble breathing and had to have assistance at the surgery; another one had been poorly for two weeks after having the jab :shock:

This afternoon, apprehensively, I had mine. Sat in the surgery after for 15 mins as instructed, and I swear I was getting slightly out of breath.......... or was I? Was it just my friends' story causing me to overeact? Power of suggestion and all that?

Decided I was just getting panicky waiting for something to happen :)

Anyway, went home and have been okay so far.

Jackie
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    kezzo1 wrote:
    is anyone having or had this? i cant decide whether to or not i have flu jab but does that mean im half protected anyway?? xx
    Hi Kezzo yes i have had it but before i did i was like you undecided but when i was called in for it I asked the nurse because i knew they had had it first,and she told me that i whould have a sore arm a bit more sore than the odinary flu vac, so i went ahead and had it and yes my arm was very sore but wore of after a couple of days and i am fine know so go for it better safe than sorry. Wendylou :D
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    They've only just started giving the swine flu jab at our surgery, I'm not in the group to have it, but my husband is and can go on 12 Dec to a walk-in clinic they are having.
    Love sue
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've just been diagnosed with asthma, not sure if I'll be eligible for it or not. I have a GP appt in a few weeks to maybe get referred to an asthma clinic, I s'pose I should ask him then.
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    I've had no problems after my swine flu jab last week - other than the sore arm, but the painkillers I take anyway helped there.

FIrst I've heard of having to be monitored after the jab though :shock: that didn't happen for us!
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Im Worried both ways.

I have got very bad breathing problems. I don't want to be worse than I am.

Then on the otherhand I don't won't to get swine flu.

I cannot make my mind up still.

Trisher xx
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Had both my seasonal and swine flu jabs - only difference with swine flu jab was a sore arm and feeling a bit off colour for a couple of days, a little breathless but nothing to really complain about - just felt like getting a cold really - and soon sorted out with a couple of paracetamol. Worth the slight risk I think.
  • jackie1955
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Im Worried both ways.

I have got very bad breathing problems. I don't want to be worse than I am.

Then on the otherhand I don't won't to get swine flu.

I cannot make my mind up still.

Trisher xx

Hi Trisher,

Well I still don't know if I am imagining being slightly out of breath or not (Topcatt mentions it too) HOWEVER my little 5 year old grandson has Asthma and he has been fine after having the jab :) so I hope that reassures you hun.

Oh, and dammit, after I'd had it done I was gleefully told I've got to have a booster in 3 weeks :roll:

Jackie x
  • suzster
    Options
    me, my husband and 2 children had it 2 weeks ago and like others apart from a sore arm we had no problems. but hubby and eldest daughter did try to get sympathy saying they felt poorly, but they were fine!
    me and sarah have to have our 2nd jab next week, i'm thinking sarah will be more reluctant because she still remembers the last one, she went on for day's saying "lady put medicine in my arm, hurt me mummy!"
    sue