A young soldier

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 13. Jan 2010, 17:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

I have just been out for a day, and while waiting for the bus home, a young soldier came and stood next to me at the bus stop. He was in his desert uniform, and carrying a heavy backpack.

I asked him where he had travelled from, and he said Afghanistan. He was home on a fortnight's leave. Then he was going back for another 4 months. He was a very pleasant young man, and we had a long chat about the conditions out there etc.

It struck me how young he was, and he told me that he was just 20. I told him how I admired him, and that I felt privileged to have met him. Before the bus arrived, I shook his hand, and gave him a big hug on behalf of everyone, to thank him for what he was doing in Afghanistan. He thanked me for my support, and waved goodbye when he got off the bus later. I shouted 'Take care, and good luck !' to him as I watched him walk away.

It has really brought it home to me how young these brave soldiers are, and what they are doing for us all out there. I hope to God that he will be one of the ones to return home safely, but it also made me remember the ones who have lost their lives so bravely.

I will remember that young man for a long time.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I really don't know what to say to that Joan, except thank you for giving him the support from all of us.

I know they are doing a vital job and it will be worth it in the end but I wish they could all come home and be with their families.

Linda
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Linda

It seemed a bit sad to me that no-one had come to meet him at the railway station, and he was having to catch the bus home.

When I asked him what he was going to do for his fortnight's leave, he said he just wanted to sleep because he was so exhausted.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    It’s a shame we can’t send a few of the feral noddies I see hanging round the local town drinking smoking spitting and swearing, and generally making life miserable for all the decent folk trying to go about their business. And what about a certain group who wanted to walk through Wootton Bassette, taking everythnig from this country and giving nothing back but hatred of it and of those who fight and die so they can have the luxery to shout and protest, but haven't got the guts to leave here as it pays their keep etc, sorry I'm off on one again!

Hey this one always makes the little hair I have left on the back of me neck stand up.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamond glint on snow
    I am the sunlight on ripening grain
    I am the gentle Autumn's rain
    When you awake in the morning hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight
    I am the soft stars that shine at night
    Do not stand at my grave and cry
    I am not there, I did not die
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Yes, I agree, Mell. He was such a polite and pleasant young man, and yet he is risking his life for all of us. It made me feel very humble.

That poem is very moving, isn't it?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi my nephew out there and it is very cold at night where he is . he just had his first wedding an. he was so sad he was not with her at this time and has 11 more weeks before he comes home he missed there first christmas together as well it such a shame.
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Val

Your nephew is very brave, and it is sad he missed his wedding anniversary. They make so many sacrifices, don't they?

The young soldier I spoke to told me how cold it is there at the moment. He said it was warmer here :!: :shock:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    yes do not know why but thought it would be warm it was last time he was there . he left present for his oh so lots of browny points for him he lovely lad . just glad my brither not out there as well as he has little kids and missed last christmas it part of there life but they r always missed. we r lucky they in r a f so food ok and manage to keep in touch with them . do feel for the young soldiers it must be so hard for them
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    The soldier I spoke to had been to the same school as my son, and I was thinking how I would feel if my son was in Afghanistan.

I would find it very difficult to carry on with everyday life, but I suppose the families just have to get on with it. They are very brave too.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    My daughter spent several Christmases without her husband when they were first married. It was hard for her particularly once the children started to come along, but we'd have them all here and make it as good as we could for them. SIL spent Christmases in Iraq and in the Falklands, but I always got instructions from him as to Chrissy pressies for all of them!

Annie
  • margaretschild
    margaretschild Member Posts: 197
    Options
    There are just no words

My heart goes out to all the young men & women who serve our country

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    There are just no words

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda

Yes I know exactly what you mean Linda braver than words honest joes worth thier weight in gold each one of them.
    Nothing finer in the world than a British Tommy.
    But what I can never forgive is Tony Bliar and the rest of the cash stealing MP's who sent our brave kids to do their dirty work while they steal and lie to us back here, where did our politicle system go so so wrong, and where are their sons and daughters not on the front line that's for sure.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    My daughter spent several Christmases without her husband when they were first married. It was hard for her particularly once the children started to come along, but we'd have them all here and make it as good as we could for them. SIL spent Christmases in Iraq and in the Falklands, but I always got instructions from him as to Chrissy pressies for all of them!

Annie

Hi Annie

Your daughter and her husband were both brave people. I can't imagine how people cope when they have children.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    There are just no words

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda

I echo your feelings, Linda
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    There are just no words

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda

Yes I know exactly what you mean Linda braver than words honest joes worth thier weight in gold each one of them.
    But what I can never forgive is Tony Bliar and the rest of the cash stealing MP's who sent our brave kids to do their dirty work while they steal and lie to us back here, where did our politicle system go so so wrong, and where are their sons and daughters not on the front line that's for sure.
    Hi dont know if you watch farenheight 9/11 none of the american senates family were on the front line either. Now you have got me going.
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    There are just no words

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linda

So many MPs just out for what they can get. It makes you feel sick, doesn't it?
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Joan/Mellman,

I am reading this thread with tears in my eyes. Joan for th hug she passed on and Mellman for the poem.

Anne
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hello Joan.
    Now that's what we call a brief encounter. 20 is not so young really when you think that during WWI and WWII, some of our boys were as young as 17. A solder who was only 19 from a town near us was killed recently.

Val
    When you become a solders bride, you are quite aware of what can happen. You have to learn to take disappointments.

My GP has 3 kids in Afghan. When 2 are out there, the other one comes home.

There are lots of things about this war which make me angry, but we have to be proud of our boys. They are proud to be doing what they are doing.

Joy
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annebr wrote:
    Joan/Mellman,

I am reading this thread with tears in my eyes. Joan for th hug she passed on and Mellman for the poem.

Anne

Hi Anne

I thought the young soldier would be a bit embarrassed when I hugged him, but he looked genuinely pleased, and thanked me for my support. As no-one had bothered to come to meet him, maybe he was glad of a welcome from someone :!:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Joy

You are right that 20 is not the youngest age for the soldiers. He said there were plenty younger than him, but it really brought it home to me because he looked so young.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joan

Thank you for telling us about your day.

It has now making me feel I should say something only a handfull of you know. It's not because I did not want to say anything it was because I did not know how to.

My younger son was killed in Afghanistan nearly a year ago now, I love and miss him so much.

I think he was such a brave boy and I'm very proud of him. He had always wanted to be in the army since he was young. He was a boy that loved life, cared about people.

Above all, he was my son.

Mellman Thank you so much for putting that poem on here.
    Trisher xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Trisher,

I don't know what to say? You must be incredibly proud of your son and I am sure there is not a day goes by that you don't think about him.

You truly are an inspiration you have had so much to cope with but have always been there for me.

Much love.

Anne xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Dearest Trisher

Because I knew about the tragic death of your son, I hestitated to write about my meeting with the young soldier today.

But somehow, he seemed to represent ALL the young soldiers who are risking their lives on a daily basis on our behalf, and that is why I wanted to post this thread.

Your son was a very brave young man, and you must miss him terribly. But you must also feel very proud of him for what he did for all of us.

Please forgive me if I have upset you by writing about my meeting with this brave young man.

My thoughts are with you and Bill at this very sad time.

068.gif

Love from Joan xxxxx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Joan

Thank you for telling us about your day.

It has now making me feel I should say something only a handfull of you know. It's not because I did not want to say anything it was because I did not know how to.

My younger son was killed in Afghanistan nearly a year ago now, I love and miss him so much.

I think he was such a brave boy and I'm very proud of him. He had always wanted to be in the army since he was young. He was a boy that loved life, cared about people.

Trish has wanted you all to know for some time now.

As I have said many, many times, she is an inspiration to us all, and I love her, and respect her more than words can say........Ange.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Seconded, Ange, with a loud ringing cheer!

Annie
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Trish

I wondered if you would feel able to post here. Like everyone else, our hearts go out to you especially at this time of year. I hope the poem gave you some comfort. Please be very proud of your young son. There are no words.
    God bless
    Chris xxx

Joan
    Thank you for sharing this and passing on our gratitude.