All you birdy-type peeps

Options
annie_mial
annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
edited 29. Jan 2010, 09:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
........please can someone tell me which bird it is I have seen during the last week.......seen it three times now.

Bright red crest feathers, about the size of a ring-dove and a dun-colour with darker wings and (I think) darker rings round it's eyes. Seen it at the feeder twice and sitting on my fence rail head on to me this last time, about 6/7 feet away.

This is serious - I have Googled every combination I can think of - crested birds, crested British birds, dun-coloured birds and I cannot find anything that matches and I'm seething with curiosity.

Anyone help?

Annie

Comments

• annie_mial
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    its a lesser spotted annie bird :shock: :lol:

Yeah, the dark rings round the eyes looked familiar!

Annie
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sure it's not an escaped tropicle species?, it's to early for summer migrants to be coming here, can anyone else think what it could be?.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Annie,

Could it be a field fare or a red start? Or maybe Mel is right and you got someones parrot? x
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Definitely not a parrot! Unless it's a parrot with an unusual beak!

I'll google those two and see what I come up with. I know it is one I have never seen before.

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Options
    No, not either of those two, bigger than those for a start and the red crest feathers were eye-catching.

It could be an escapee, on thinking about it - we've acquired two pairs of Mandarin ducks (so unbelievably exotic) just down on the river.

Still would like to know what it is.

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Options
    No, Lynn, not one of them, although would guess about the same size..........only seen them in the distance here.

Glad hubby has seen it too, otherwise I'd think I was really going barking!

Annie
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    What about waxwing or redwing if not might be an escapee has anyone reprted any missing birds from coillections or the such in your area
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Not a redwing or waxwing, maybe Lynn's right and it is an overweight thrush in a wig and fright mask!

Annie
  • mellman01
    Options
    Could it be a lesser spotted wood pecker?

Oh!, what shape is the beack??.
  • annie_mial
    Options
    No, Mell, not a lesser spotted woodpecker; the bird I saw was bigger than that and they are vaguely striped aren't they?

The beak of the bird I saw was nothing special, ie. I didn't notice anything unusual, it wasn't hooked like a parrot's beak and didn't seem to be especially wide. My impression is that it was brown, but the closest view I got it was facing me head-on and it would have been difficult to tell.

Annie

PS - this is beginning to drive me - crackers!
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Annie, remind us again flower- what meds are you on???????????? :shock: :shock:

Lynn xxx

Petal, too many to list - but hubby saw it too and he isn't on any!

Not even the odd drop of Scotch that day!

Annie (you made me laugh out loud)
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Might be an Oozel Bird, knowen for its droppings. Sure its not Orvil in drag? Um, a greater red crest is a fancy chinese chicken. As its weraing a mask, could it be the caped crusader, Robbin git? :lol:
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Might be an Oozel Bird, knowen for its droppings. Sure its not Orvil in drag? Um, a greater red crest is a fancy chinese chicken. As its weraing a mask, could it be the caped crusader, Robbin git? :lol:

Ouzel bird.....that the one that flys in ever decreasing circles, until it disappears uo
    up its own bum???

Rob x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Annie hmmmm odd one this, can you get a photo of it?, have you looked at tropical species books?, I still wonder if it's an escaped tropical bird but without me seeing it I'm not going to be much help I don't think, so it's about the size of a small dove parrot type'ish beak small red crest on it's head and a dark ring around the eye and it's body is dun colour, is this right?. :?
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Sounds like one similar to that seen in my daughter's gdn in London some years back. Willhave to look it up as forgotten. not much help am I.

Hope you are OK today.

Joy
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Bumping

Annie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Thanks Annie,

Could it have been a Jay?

Luv Legs :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mellman01
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Thanks Annie,

Could it have been a Jay?

Luv Legs :?

Jay's are woodland birds are you close to a wooded area??, it's call is similar to Magpie as it's from the same genus(is that the right word?)
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Possibly of that species, but not one of our own, if you see what I mean.......bigger than the jays we get here, not to mention the red crest - that was what took the eye, almost like a comb, and a light dun colour.

Will keep watching as and when I can.

Annie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    got hubby on the case ........ might take a while but he is going to look in his books. Since his books take up a whole shelf of the bookcase I might be reporting back by Easter :wink:
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Hubby wondered where abouts you are ? .... he is wondering if it is a european bird blown in by the recent winds ..... would that make sense?
  • annie_mial
    Options
    On the Surrey/Sussex border, at the foot of the Downs, very wooded river area.

Annie
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    to for that .... will relay info :wink:
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    hubby says he has found a possible, but it shouldn't be here :roll: and might be too small for what you saw .....

could it be a female Blackcap? That looks like your description, but should be in Africa ...... so unlikely but you never know!
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Just looked, no, what I saw was bigger and much the same body-shape as a ring-dove. Similar size, too. Our doves are a light grey shade, this was the same depth but a very light browny shade.

Annie