Are you happy where you live?

Options
moonseed
moonseed Member Posts: 289
edited 2. Feb 2010, 13:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
Do you have problems where you live, either in the area itself, such as gangs etc., or with neighbours.
Is it very noisy, smelly or dirty.
Do you wish you could live somewhere else?
If you did, where would it be and taking into account your illness, would it be possible for you to move without assistance from some agency or other?
I'm curious because I have a problem with this and some of your answers might give me an idea or two.
Thanks
Steph

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well would love to move house near to the sea down south . i do like it where we r but have two grown lads still at home so bulging at the seams lol. there r a minority of scrots around here but there are loads of nice kids as well .
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I don't mind it here but it is infested with humans here in Oxfordshire, I was planning on moving down to Bembrokshire with work at the new gas power station at the docks, I wanted to have a little small holding so my wife could run a B&B and she could grow her own veg etc, also my daughter could have started a small horse trecking business but since OA that's gone west!, Ho hum!!! :cry:
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    happy enough with the area if we could take the upstairs of and use part of the garden to make one large bungalow it would be brilliant stairs are a killer x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi, we live in London's docklands, was born and raised here. Now its full of yuppies, and constantly building more houses and "apartments" not flats apparently!!!! The problem being theres not enough schools, health centres etc
    We would like to live on the Isle of Wight, we go there in the summer, its still quite old fashioned, which we like, people actually talk to you in shops!! Also, there are no security people in their shops like in London. Just good fresh air, the only thing against it is thats its quite hilly!!
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've lived in this area for the better part of my life but will be leaving it (something I never expected to happen) in a couple of months time.

I have some regrets at going as it is highly unlikely that I will ever return, but of course the place that it should be now only exists in my memory. It has changed out of all recognition since I was a child - as places do - so, while I might shed a few tears privately, I think I am lucky to be able to start out afresh while still able to; these last few months have taught me that we need to be somewhere less isolated and where we could make new social contacts - a new start, in fact.

It makes me feel tremulous (lovely word), regretful, and nostalgic when I think of leaving...........but when I think of somewhere new, I feel excited and eager......and BRAVE!

Annie
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, well in all honesty we are not happy living where we are, we are in a ground floor flat and have very noisy neighbours, we would really like a ground floor flat or bungalow, some where in the countryside, all though we do not want to live very far from Macclesfield, it is handy for the hospital love Jaspercatxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    When I first came to live here in Derbyshire, I didn't like it at all. I had been happy in my previous home, and didn't want to move. I left all my friends behind, and I felt lonely to begin with.

But here I am now 35 years later, still in the same house, and it is a good place to live. We have beautiful countryside on our doorstep, and my village is a very friendly place. There is lots going on, I have some very good friends, and excellent neighbours.

The only disadvantage is that we are a long way from the sea, but you can't have it all.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • moonseed
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thank you for such a varied collection of answers. It is interesting to hear these stories from people spread across the Country that would not otherwise have any connection with one another. This internet is quite something aint it.
    I have travelled around most of the Country, except for the north. I rather like the sound of the Peak District.
    In my younger days, when the kids were kids, I had a VW camper and spent a lot of time in Cornwall. It has always been my dream to live there some day but, as a few of you have mentioned, when OA or RA hits, your life changes and it all goes out the window.
    I am in the position of having to move through no choice of my own as the landlord is having the property taken away from him and sold; So am in a bit of predicament,
    I rather fancy the idea of a mobile home somewhere in the country.
    Do any of you know of such a place where one can perhaps be rented or even sold at a reasonable price.
    My imagination has taken over here. Perhaps we should all get one and start an Arthritis Colony!!!
    Only joking, but could be interesting couldn't it?
    Thanks for the input.
    Steph x
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    Hi all,
    Thank you for such a varied collection of answers. It is interesting to hear these stories from people spread across the Country that would not otherwise have any connection with one another. This internet is quite something aint it.
    I have travelled around most of the Country, except for the north. I rather like the sound of the Peak District.
    In my younger days, when the kids were kids, I had a VW camper and spent a lot of time in Cornwall. It has always been my dream to live there some day but, as a few of you have mentioned, when OA or RA hits, your life changes and it all goes out the window.
    I am in the position of having to move through no choice of my own as the landlord is having the property taken away from him and sold; So am in a bit of predicament,
    I rather fancy the idea of a mobile home somewhere in the country.
    Do any of you know of such a place where one can perhaps be rented or even sold at a reasonable price.
    My imagination has taken over here. Perhaps we should all get one and start an Arthritis Colony!!!
    Only joking, but could be interesting couldn't it?
    Thanks for the input.
    Steph x

hi

i think you can live in some carven parks for upto 10 or 11 months a year but have to have a month or two out for council tax reasons, ie: so you don't have to pay it. someone may know the rules better then me.
    maybe just pick a village close to the country, we live 15 mins from a town, 10 mins from the yorkshire moors and 25 mins from the beach. we have everything on our door step.
    we planned to move into the depth of heartbeat country not so long ago but when i was told i had RA we changed our minds, i won't have any support close by if we lived further away.
    suzie x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    There are some residential parks on the Downs here and some of them are very, very nice...........you do need a car, though as little public transport, but they are like proper little estates and very pretty.

Annie
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    have a google for residential parkhomes they are all over the counry and some you stay on all year x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi All

Interesting thread.

I am ok where I am for now. The kids are happy at school and lots of family and friends nearby. Like others though I yearn for the sea :)

Maybe when we retire???

Annie - where are you going?? if that's not too rude a question?

Love

Toni xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I love where I live. Wouldn't mind a place near the sea. Then who wouldn't
    It's nice where we live, we get the odd stupid lout who damages the bus shelter, smashes the glass. Would like to community police to come round a bit more.
    We have a bus which will take us into town if we want, then catch it to go in the other direction to the garden centre for a change so when I get a lot older and cannot drive anymore I have alternatives
    The hospital and doctor are easy to get to and we have all our friends around us. We all watch out for each other here, apart from two that is. Unfortunately no oneis perfect and you have to make allowances.

I have my art and sit up in my studio. My friends wave to me when they go by. It's a lovely place to live. We get no floods, not much snow. and you can see what's left of the fields if you look hard.

That is all

Joy
  • moonseed
    Options
    Hi again all,

Thanks for all your ideas.
    When you say the Downs Annie, which ones do you mean? Wherever you are, it sounds right up my street. (no pun intended, sorry).

And I have "Googled" but Googled the wrong words. I was using the word caravan which brings up an entirely different category of places!!
    Thanks for that tip.

I am now getting quite excited about the prospect.

I can just imagine getting one of those scooters and whizzing about all over the place at full throttle with no cars to worry about.
    We could have races once a week and put bets on.
    I could dream up sorts of things to do.
    Being allowed to do them though would probably be a different matter.
    I can dream though can't I?

Right, I'm off to Google.

Love Steph x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have been following around the various men in my life.But I would love to move back to East Sussex, one of the little villages, Alfriston,Chiddingly,Hellingly.
    Currently live in Ruislip and quite a nice part so no complaints.We had noisy neighbours but they moved out in November.We didnt have probs with them just the loud voices at all hours and they told us we were the nicest neighbours theyd ever had!Prob cos we never complained.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • moonseed
    Options
    OOps - I just repeated what others have said, sorry!

Memo to self - read earlier replies before posting!!

XX

It's still lovely to hear from you. Your info is a bit more detailed anyway.
    Steph x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Steph,

It is horrible to live somewhere you don't like. I was exiled in a big city for 7 years and it was soul destroying for me to be honest. When I lost my then partner I took the plunge and came back to Cornwall. Was in the right bit but had the wrong place :roll: Now I got the right place in the wrong bit :lol::lol: I come from West Cornwall and really would like to go home but then more recently I have started to think for the sake of 25-30 miles the right place is probably ok for life now.... I say probably purely cus the west does still call, well scream somedays :lol::lol:

I hope you can find somewhere though where you feel this will do or this is home cus its good to have that feeling of deep roots (well it is for me anyway though my roots do spread west a bit :wink: ) Cris x
  • moonseed
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Steph,

It is horrible to live somewhere you don't like. I was exiled in a big city for 7 years and it was soul destroying for me to be honest. When I lost my then partner I took the plunge and came back to Cornwall. Was in the right bit but had the wrong place :roll: Now I got the right place in the wrong bit :lol::lol: I come from West Cornwall and really would like to go home but then more recently I have started to think for the sake of 25-30 miles the right place is probably ok for life now.... I say probably purely cus the west does still call, well scream somedays :lol::lol:

I hope you can find somewhere though where you feel this will do or this is home cus its good to have that feeling of deep roots (well it is for me anyway though my roots do spread west a bit :wink: ) Cris x

Hi Cris,
    You sound a bit like me, don't know whether your coming or going!!!. LOVE Cornwall. I used to do a lot of surfing at Fistral Beach about 3 lifetimes ago and have travelled round the rest.
    Had a VW camper and took off at the drop of a hat with the kids in tow.
    I'm a bit of an artist so absolutely love all of it even the wrong bits!!!
    Are there any mobile home parks that way now.
    If I can find one, might meet you there?
    Steph
  • moonseed
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Steph,

• skezier
    Options
    Hi Steph,

Oh there are loads of van parks this way. Some re really nice and some well you need to check it all out really well but there now called affordable housing this way cus the bricks and mortar certainly aren't. I can pm you some sites if you want some though and I know some are really nice.

Hey I used to tombstone near there when I was a kid :oops: Lucky I just got arthritis eh?! To surf though we used to go Porthtowan or Perranporth cus Newquey always been too busy. If we felt really bold we'd go Porthkernow or Sennen but I preferred to just body surf there to be honest cus I honestly wasn't that good at standing. Its good though isn't it? Were you any good? I was more like drowning with bored tied to my ankle person if I am honest but body surf or belly surf well I was ok with that.

Is a lovely place but its not as it was and though it needed to modernise its sort of done the wrong bits :wink: specially Newquey way...... Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Been looking at park homes in corwall myself today Cris.... :wink:
    Toni x
  • skezier
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Been looking at park homes in corwall myself today Cris.... :wink:
    Toni x

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 2. Feb 2010, 11:33
    Options
    Hi Steph,
    I have a friend with quite bad RA, she has met a new partner, well about a year ago now, they have decided to up sticks and move to cornwall , I dont half envy her, wish I had the courage, you go for it girl , follow your dream.
    Barbara x PS cornwall not a new partner.
    Love
    Barbara
  • moonseed
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Steph,

Oh there are loads of van parks this way. Some re really nice and some well you need to check it all out really well but there now called affordable housing this way cus the bricks and mortar certainly aren't. I can pm you some sites if you want some though and I know some are really nice.

Hey I used to tombstone near there when I was a kid :oops: Lucky I just got arthritis eh?! To surf though we used to go Porthtowan or Perranporth cus Newquey always been too busy. If we felt really bold we'd go Porthkernow or Sennen but I preferred to just body surf there to be honest cus I honestly wasn't that good at standing. Its good though isn't it? Were you any good? I was more like drowning with bored tied to my ankle person if I am honest but body surf or belly surf well I was ok with that.

Is a lovely place but its not as it was and though it needed to modernise its sort of done the wrong bits :wink: specially Newquey way...... Cris x

I would love you to PM me with some sites. How fantastic. Thank you.
    Steph x
  • moonseed
    Options
    I think we should ALL go and live on the same site. We could get a buggy each and have races along the beach. We could get a little business going between us and call it A.A. (Arthritics
    Antics)

We could build our own hospital, have our own Rheumatologist Get a resident cleaner, cook and handyman.

My imagination is working overtime now.

Oh wouldn't it be loverly.

Steph x