Mad as a hatter? Read on>>>>

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 23. Feb 2010, 12:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

New mental conditions have just been added to the psychiatrists' bible, the Diagnostic And Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

1. Hoarding disorder......... a condition in which you live surrounded by ancient clutter, and can't throw any of it away.

2. Cognitive Tempo disorder...........symptoms are dreaminess and sluggishness, and a tendency to be lazy.

3. Intermittent Explosive disorder............symptoms are bouts of loss of temper and general fury ( See Rehab's Furious 1,2 and 3 )

4. Extreme Shopping disorder............. otherwise known as the Ultimate Retail Therapy, and often concerning shoes and handbags.

5. Extreme Internet Overuse disorder..............the science underlying the inclusion of this disorder is very shaky to non-existent though.

6. The Mary Whitehouse syndrome............ ie. objecting very strongly to any sexual content on TV.

7. Binge-eating disorder.............often associated with large boxes of chocolates , tubs of ice-cream, or chips.

Before the men in white coats come to take me away ( I am suffering from all these conditions, with the exception of 6 ) which of them do you suffer from :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw this in the paper.....
    My OH suffers from the second one!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    1. Hoarding disorder......... a condition in which you live surrounded by ancient clutter, and can't throw any of it away.

NO CLUTTER in our house whatsoever - everything must be beautiful, useful or seriously sentimental.

2. Cognitive Tempo disorder...........symptoms are dreaminess and sluggishness, and a tendency to be lazy.

Yes

3. Intermittent Explosive disorder............symptoms are bouts of loss of temper and general fury ( See Rehab's Furious 1,2 and 3 )

Yes - occassionally

4. Extreme Shopping disorder............. otherwise known as the Ultimate Retail Therapy, and often concerning shoes and handbags.

All the time

5. Extreme Internet Overuse disorder..............the science underlying the inclusion of this disorder is very shaky to non-existent though.

Yes, excessively, especially on this website

6. The Mary Whitehouse syndrome............ ie. objecting very strongly to any sexual content on TV.

No, never did like Mary Whitehouse

7. Binge-eating disorder.............often associated with large boxes of chocolates , tubs of ice-cream, or chips.

Yes and I've started being a bad influence on my daughters with this also.

Men in white coats? I'll take you all down with me!

Nx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

You have my sympathies. I'm suffering from 2. and 5. at the moment, because there a hundred things I should be doing instead of being on here.

That's another disorder I suffer from ........... Procrastination disorder. There's no hope for me, is there :?:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Nina

I DID think of you with the Extreme Shopping disorder, but I didn't like to say so :!: We are fellow sufferers, I'm afraid.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Oh Joan,
    I have been away from the forum for a few days and I got so much done! But then it is friendship and companionship you get on here,
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Oh Joan,
    I have been away from the forum for a few days and I got so much done! But then it is friendship and companionship you get on here,
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx

That's called Forum Withdrawal syndrome, Elizabeth. The only remedy is to return to the fold. :D
  • moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    Options
    They forgot to add contradiction syndrome!
    I live with someone who has this and it drives me mad so end up on here talking to normal people which in turn escalates into not doing any housework syndrome.
    Steph x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joan,

I am guilty of 5 an poss 7 :wink::lol::lol: However the men in white coats are after me for a very different reason....... :lol::lol::lol:

My ,mother had a 10 point question thing entitled 'Are you a Psychopath'.......... she scored quite high and poss was :lol::lol::lol: Its silly eh? Mental issues are never that simple..... I sort of hope :wink:

Purrs to Tommy Cris x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    moonseed wrote:
    I live with someone who has this and it drives me mad so end up on here talking to normal people which in turn escalates into not doing any housework syndrome.
    Steph x

Hi Steph

I'm afraid that I suffer from the Contadiction syndrome too on occasions, as well as the I Know Best syndrome, and the Not Doing Any Housework syndrome.

Are you including me in with the ''normal people'' :?: I hope so, although many would probably think otherwise :!: :D
  • moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    moonseed wrote:
    Steph x

Hi Steph

I'm afraid that I suffer from the Contadiction syndrome too on occasions, as well as the I Know Best syndrome, and the Not Doing Any Housework syndrome.

Are you including me in with the ''normal people'' :?: I hope so, although many would probably think otherwise :!: :D

I am pleading the fifth amendment on that one!!
    Steph x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joan,

I am guilty of 5 an poss 7 :wink::lol::lol: However the men in white coats are after me for a very different reason....... :lol::lol::lol:

My ,mother had a 10 point question thing entitled 'Are you a Psychopath'.......... she scored quite high and poss was :lol::lol::lol: Its silly eh? Mental issues are never that simple..... I sort of hope :wink:

Purrs to Tommy Cris x

Hi Cris

I wonder what the questions were on the 10 point form, ' Are you a Psychopath' :?: But if you were one, you wouldn't answer the questions truthfully anyway, would you :?:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I am pleading the fifth amendment on that one!!
    Steph x

Thanks Steph, now I've developed an Am I Normal :?: complex to add to to my other disorders.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joan,

Purrs to Tommy Cris x

Hi Cris

I wonder what the questions were on the 10 point form, ' Are you a Psychopath' :?: But if you were one, you wouldn't answer the questions truthfully anyway, would you :?:

They were weird questions...... I failed and wasn't one but she didn't and thankfully was helped........ x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    The only ones I can really lay claim to on the list are 5 and 6, but I can procrastinate with the best of them..........
    and the ones that annoy me most are the ones with

'I take myself far too seriously' syndrome!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    The only ones I can really lay claim to on the list are 5 and 6, but I can procrastinate with the best of them..........
    and the ones that annoy me most are the ones with

'I take myself far too seriously' syndrome!

Annie

Hi Annie

I agree about the ''I Take Myself Too Seriously'' syndrome. Not much fear that you and I will suffer from that one, More likely to be the '' Slightly Nuts'' syndrome, don't you think :?:
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Dunno about sightly, Joan.........in my case, Totally! But I'm happy.....(dappy but happy my mum used to say).

Annie
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    the only one i can honestly dismiss is no 4 , not a handbag person , and the shoes i would like to buy would be no use :lol:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    do not have 3 4 6 but the rest r me to a tmind you think it 2 causing 1 lol
    val
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Oh, crumbs, just realized I put myself down for 6, when it's the other way round - Mary Whitehouse and me have absolutely nothing in common! She was just SuperNanny Extreme - if you enjoy it, it's bad for you!

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Joan

I'm guilty of some of them, but I cannot help it, the doctors have said I've got a disorder. :shock:

So I will now go on the sick list as I have a disorder. Then I can come on here as much as I like :D

Trish x
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Trish, we tried to go on the sick list before, but Rehab wouldn't let us! I've just realized we can plead sanity on here!

Annie
  • trisher
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    Oh Joan,
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx

That's called Forum Withdrawal syndrome, Elizabeth. The only remedy is to return to the fold. :D

Shouldn't this be called a disorder. Now I'm confused, if I come on here too much, I have a disorder. :shock:

When I miss being on here because I have not been on here I have a syndrome :shock:
  • trisher
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Trish, we tried to go on the sick list before, but Rehab wouldn't let us! I've just realized we can plead sanity on here!

Annie

Well rehab yes I remember now he did didn't he???

Sanity or insanity?? now?????
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Definitely sanity.....it would be the only thing that would excuse you from this forum!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    Oh Joan,
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx

Shouldn't this be called a disorder. Now I'm confused, if I come on here too much, I have a disorder. :shock:

When I miss being on here because I have not been on here I have a syndrome :shock:

Hi Trisher

Yes it is confusing, isn't it? Extreme Internet Overuse disorder........ followed by Keeping Away From Computeritis................ which leads to Forum Withdrawal Syndrome :!: :shock: Then it goes full-circle, and the whole process starts again :!: