Back home after TKR

sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 22. Feb 2010, 11:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello

Well, I'm back home from hospital after my TKR. I went in for my op at 3.50 and got out of recovery just after 8pm. The anaetheist used nerve stints apparently I had 3 and GA. I was told I tried to get off the table and they had to hold me down. I will never have nerve stints again they didn't start to work until 4.00am the next morning when my whole leg went numb the numbness lasted for nearly 4 days. In a way that was a blessing because now I can really feel the discomfort. Sleeping in my own bed last night was difficult - I had trouble getting in and out of bed.

My leg is very swollen despite using icepacks 3/4 times a day. The hospital gave me one and I bought another. I've had to use it the whole length of my leg. I have about 40 staples and I'm hoping that the discomfort will ease off once these are removed on 1 March.

The surgeon said my leg had been left too long and he had to cut away tissue that had adhered to my bones. The operation went quite well and for the first time in nearly 3 years I have a straight leg. I'm black and blue all over and my whole leg hurts from the top of my bottom down to my toes. I've been doing my exercises which are not easy but I know essential for my recovery.
He doesn't want my other knee to go down the same path.
The staff were great in hospital and I was lucky enough to have a room all to myself.

Any tips for sleeping comfortably, getting in and out of bed; on and off the sofa would be helpful.

With regards
Sharmaine

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi can not help you but want to send you a hug things r going to get better but you do need to work at it from what i hear well done on getting this far and sure some one will be able to give you some good advice
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sharmaine,
    I am so gald you have got it overwith, and hopefully on the way to a speedy recovery, I know that Elna had the severe pain after, I do hope it eases very soon for you, sorry I cant help you with getting into bed, but I am sure someone will very soon.
    You keep us updated and take care
    Love Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Sharmaine,

Welcome home and thank you for letting us know that you are back. I was counting the days and thought that you could well be back but wondered when you would feel like calling in.

My goodness, 40 staples. You poor love. I think being very bruised comes with the package along with pain but at least you know that the bruising and pain will go given time! I was black and blue all over, from knee to thigh and some of the calf too with both ops but this time having taken the arnica I am sure that although the bruising came out, it changed colour quicker and so consequently disappeared faster too. The outside of my thigh still feels tender after three weeks. That may be the exercising of muscles that had become lazy though. I still have quite a lot of pain and especially at night so you are not alone there, my love. My upper leg and knee is swollen still and around the knee feels very tender to touch although I do gently massage it as it is comforting even though the nerve endings are all sort of jangling - that is the only way that I can describe it. I am still using icepacks regularly and probably will for some time to come.

You mention the surgeon said your knee had been left too long. That is why I can never understand really why surgeons nearly always use the excuse "you are too young" - wait another 10 years.

I am so pleased you were treated well in the hospital and so you should be. The exercises are not a breeze at the best of times, Sharmaine and for you with the added work done on your knee/leg will make them even more difficult. I know you will persevere though, because you are like me and will not be beaten and want to get the knee working to the best of its ability. You will become the best of friends in the end :wink: I have already been talking to my new knee and sometimes being cross with it too. :lol:

I don't really know of any tips of getting in and out of bed easily. I don't find that a problem really. What exactly are you finding difficult, is it lifting your legs up onto the bed?

Lovely to have you back in the fold and I am sure your other half is relieved you are back home too.

Do let us know how you are getting on and any questions you may have. You are doing brilliantly. It is such early days yet.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Sharmaine,

Good to see you back and I'm sure that each day you will see some improvement even if it's only small at first.

Whilst I was in hospital an OT came to my house and raised one of our armchairs onto blocks to help with getting on and off it.

When you sit on your bed to get in do you swing your good leg on first - that might help - if it's still difficult can your O/H lift your leg up for you just till it gets more comfortable?

As for sleeping comfortably all I can suggest is keeping up with your painkillers and resting your knee on a pillow and to grab sleep during the day, if you can.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    edited 20. Feb 2010, 17:33
    Hi Sharmaine

Sit on the bed as far back as you can and than with the non operated leg underneath the operated one, lift your legs into bed that way, but I expect they suggested that in the hospital. I am not sure how strong your other leg is as I know that badly needs a new knee too.

At the beginning I used the icepack in bed at night too, although I found it used to make me feel chilly too. Brrrrrrh! I still did it, because it numbed the knee pain somewhat. For the past few nights I have not used the icepacks at night but still wake because of pain and discomfort and have been on this site in the early hours a few times to take my mind off it all. I also find that sometimes at night I cannot bear any weight of the bed linen on the knee either. It does all get better with time, believe me and this knee op is much better painwise post op than the prevous one. :) It is all very well worth it in the end.

I hope you sleep ok tonight.

Lots of love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Sharmaine
    Good to see you are back home. The bruising is quite spectacular isn`t it?! After my THR I was amazed at how far it spread! I am not sure if it will work for you but I used to lift my operated leg on to the bed by hooking my `good` foot under my ankle of operated side and help lift it that way. Not sure how it feels for knees though. I did get chair raisers, raised chair etc.. from OT. They offered me a bed rail/handle thingy to help me in/out of bed but I declined it.
    Did you get any OT stuff?
    NB
  • elnafinn
    Hi again, Sharmaine

What I do to get into bed is to sit at the bottom of the bed where my feet usually go and then pull myself backwards with my arms. I do this at the moment because it is easier for me as my side of the bed is quite near the wall. On getting out of the bed I shuffle down the opposite way. Hope that makes sense.

I wonder if your settee may be too low for you at the moment - could you raise it temporarily?

Love
    Elna x

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hello Sharmaine

Do hope you have managed to get comfortable. As soon as you have recovered from having this knee done, you know what to expect for the other.
    It sounds hurrendous to me, but knowing a friend of mine who went throught it a couple of weeks ago, it does sound like you went through a rough time while they were doing your op. Should not hve left it that long.
    Anyway, a big (((((((((())))))))))))) from me.
    Joy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Shramaine

Good to see you back

You poor chick - you sound as though yoou have been through the mill.

It might feel like it wont get easier but it will.

Still you sound in high spirits :D

Keep us posted (as it were)

Love

Toni xx
  • sharmaine
    Hi Joy, Elna, NB, Lindalegs, Lynn, Barbara and Val,

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'll see if hubby can raise the settee. We have a number of patio slabs left over and if we protect the carpet it should help. I've been spending a lot of time lying down on the settee and it is quite a performance getting up again.

My left leg was operated on and regrettably my right leg is not very strong. I used my bathrobe belt to lever me on and off the settee and bed.... I simply loop it around the bottom of my foot and use my hands to elevate my leg. Last night I was in such agony that OH had to help me in and out of bed a few times. It got so bad that I slapped on half a tube of deep heat which helped a bit...unfortunately I had to do it about 3 times in the night.

The bruising starts from the very top of my thigh to the bottom of my leg. The crease at the back of my knee is black and the bruises are just starting to emerge on my calfs and back of my thigh. I think I'll have some on my bum too.

I am pleased to be home - even if it is just for a proper cup of tea and a decent meal! I'm sure I'll become stronger it's still early days.

Thanks again Elna - I know you are a few weeks ahead of me with regards to recovery.........I'm amazed how much swelling there is afterwards. I had 2 drains in the top of my thigh and the whole thigh/knee area feels as if it has been filled in with cement. There are lots of "movements" underneath the tissue and the new joint itself feels rather heavy. I'll continue with the ice treatment. I suppose all this discomfort is to be expected as the whole leg has been useless for nearly 3 years. I did suggest to the Senior Physiotherapist that patients should be given physio before their operations to prepare weak muscles for the big operation and she said that was something they were thinking of. OA is a disease after all that attacks our joints which in turn thins out the muscles.

The surgeon made a point of visiting me and explaining what had happened. I told him that I was most unhappy with the nerve stints and when I have my next operation I was going to ask for an epidural and GA. He said that would be fine.

They gave me tramadol at night in hospital which helped to send me off to sleep. I did think about ringing the GP to ask if I could have these at night. I'll see how I get on today.

Take care folks and enjoy your day. I really appreciate your kind wishes and thoughts.

Sharmaine
    XX
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Glad it is over Sharmaine and that your leg is straight for the first time in ages.
    Hope you have a healthy,straight-forward recovery.
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • deemac
    deemac Member Posts: 30
    Hi Sharmaine,
    glad to see you are back home, what a rough time you have had. When i first came home i used a long scarf looped round the foot to lift my leg onto the bed and sofa i found that helped a lot. Hope you are feeling a bit more comfortable to day. love dee x
  • elnafinn
    Dear Sharmaine

Dee and I know only too well that feeling that the leg is a ton of cement and how the heck is one supposed to lift it. When the time comes and you can do it, it is such a fantastic feeling. You will do it, it will take time. I think you are doing really well. I know what you mean about it all sort of moving inside too. At night my leg just jerks and jumps about as and when it feels like it, most annoying at times. As my surgeon mentioned to me the body is sort of rejecting the prothesis and it all takes time to settle. He kept on emphasising that this was major surgery and would not be rushed. The swelling and bruising will all go in time.

I was doing walk abouts last night a couple of times :roll: and answered a couple of postings on here.

I would go with the Tramadol if you found this of help.

I hope today is a tiny bit less painful for you.

Love
    Elna x

• sharmaine
    Hi Elna

The surgeon said my knee had been left too long which made everything that little bit more difficult. He couldn't insert the new joint in until he had cleared away the tissue etc. But, thankfully he did get the knee in. My leg is definitely straighter even though it feels very heavy - I feel as if I'm dragging around a very large person. It was my GP who kept saying I was too young. I'll get over this operation then I'll see about having the other one done. I'm looking forward to being strong again.

Like you, I'm finding the nights the worse. At the moment I seem to have little or no energy. Even sitting down is uncomfortable. The top half of my bum is so sore that I've resorted to putting a heat pad on. I'll put the ice packs on later - they help at lot. I tried to lift my foot off the floor today but couldn't so I balanced on my crutches and did the bending/lifting exercise. Hopefully it'll ease out a bit and I can do this exercise whilst sitting.

I had so much morphine etc after the operation it was surprising (according to the nursing staff) that I wasn't sick! I must have a strong constitution. I went through 2 bags worth in a very short space of time. Hospitals are not the best places to have a good night's sleep.

Sorry to hear that your leg still plays up. How is the swelling?
    Take care Elna and I'll keep in touch.

Sharmaine

elnafinn wrote:
    Dear Sharmaine,

Welcome home and thank you for letting us know that you are back. I was counting the days and thought that you could well be back but wondered when you would feel like calling in.

My goodness, 40 staples. You poor love. I think being very bruised comes with the package along with pain but at least you know that the bruising and pain will go given time! I was black and blue all over, from knee to thigh and some of the calf too with both ops but this time having taken the arnica I am sure that although the bruising came out, it changed colour quicker and so consequently disappeared faster too. The outside of my thigh still feels tender after three weeks. That may be the exercising of muscles that had become lazy though. I still have quite a lot of pain and especially at night so you are not alone there, my love. My upper leg and knee is swollen still and around the knee feels very tender to touch although I do gently massage it as it is comforting even though the nerve endings are all sort of jangling - that is the only way that I can describe it. I am still using icepacks regularly and probably will for some time to come.

You mention the surgeon said your knee had been left too long. That is why I can never understand really why surgeons nearly always use the excuse "you are too young" - wait another 10 years.

I am so pleased you were treated well in the hospital and so you should be. The exercises are not a breeze at the best of times, Sharmaine and for you with the added work done on your knee/leg will make them even more difficult. I know you will persevere though, because you are like me and will not be beaten and want to get the knee working to the best of its ability. You will become the best of friends in the end :wink: I have already been talking to my new knee and sometimes being cross with it too. :lol:

I don't really know of any tips of getting in and out of bed easily. I don't find that a problem really. What exactly are you finding difficult, is it lifting your legs up onto the bed?

Lovely to have you back in the fold and I am sure your other half is relieved you are back home too.

Do let us know how you are getting on and any questions you may have. You are doing brilliantly. It is such early days yet.

Love
    Elna x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Very pleased that everything is all done and dusted Sharmaine. It should all be in place in time for the wonderful summer we are going to have. I`ve ordered it!

I knew, at the time, how very fortunate I was with my own TKR, but reading about your`s and other people`s experiences, makes me realise just how fortunate, and I`m so thankful. I`m even wondering if it was ever done at all!! Oh, yes, I forgot, I heard it all!!

Take great care.......Ange.
  • elnafinn
    Please do keep in touch, Sharmaine, the swelling and bruising is much improved for me now, thank you, but still get the discomfort every now and again and definitely evenings and night times are the worst but they were last time for me too. It does all get better for sure.
    I am actually still in my dressing gown :oops: so best get up to greet the day. I don't feel too bad about it because I was up in the night when I should have been asleep! I have a physio appointment on Wednesday.

Love
    Elna x()

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Welcome home Sharmaine
    i hope things settle down for you which i am sure it will , its early days gentle hugs to you and your new knee xxxxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    Dear Sharmaine

I find the icepacks are soooooo helpful. I use them on my knee when walking around the home if/when it is "playing" up. I remember last time I found the icepacks of benefit for a very long time and I have a feeling it will be the same this time round. They are getting well used.

Love
    Elna x

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Glad to hear you are back home Sharmaine.

There is bound to be a lot of soreness and discomfort isnt there
    when you think of how the surgeon gets the new knee in place. :shock:

I have recovered well from a recent THR
    and am thrilled with my legs both being the same length now
    and the pain has GONE,
    and I'm sure in a few weeks time you will be nothing but delighted with your new knee.

Take it steady though,
    I did as I was told and I
    think its the best route to go.

Kath
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sharmaine,

Glad your all safe and back home. I can't help you but just wanted to wish you a good recovery and hope it soon settles and you have less pain soon. Luv Cris x
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Me too, can't offer any advice but wanted to welcome you back and wish you a very speedy recovery!! Take care, very best wishes, Josie xx
  • sharmaine
    Elna

It's getting my leg on and off the bed. I use the better one first as leverage. However, my better leg is not very strong so OH has had to help me in and out of bed. He gets up 2/3 times a night with me - poor thing will be exhausted. I have a metal rail to hand on but it is especially hard because the operated leg is swollen, stiff and blooming sore. I'm sure with each passing day I'll feel better.

I alternated between my heat pad and ice packs today which has helped a great deal. I even managed to fall asleep on the settee. OH has been running around cooking; food shopping; washing and doing housework - all the things I used to do!!! If anything this will give him an appreciation as to what a woman's life is really like.

My operation scar is a lot larger than I thought it would be it runs above and below my knee. I suppose it's because the surgeon had to cut away extra tissue etc.

I'm doing the exercises despite the pain etc. Can't do the lifting whilst seated very well as top of thigh feels like a dead weight.

Sharmaine

elnafinn wrote:
    Dear Sharmaine,

Love
    Elna x
  • sharmaine
    Hi Josiec
    Thanks a lot it's still early days my surgery was only on Monday ...hopefully I'll be less sore in a week or two.

I appreciate your kind wishes.

Sharmaine

josiec wrote:
    Me too, can't offer any advice but wanted to welcome you back and wish you a very speedy recovery!! Take care, very best wishes, Josie xx
  • sharmaine
    Hi Angel

You were lucky and I'm pleased you didn't have to suffer. Tell me did you have an epidural and GA?

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather too. The good thing is that I now have a straight leg - I just wish I could get rid of the discomfort.

Thanks Angel.
    Sharmaine
    angel1 wrote:
    Very pleased that everything is all done and dusted Sharmaine. It should all be in place in time for the wonderful summer we are going to have. I`ve ordered it!

I knew, at the time, how very fortunate I was with my own TKR, but reading about your`s and other people`s experiences, makes me realise just how fortunate, and I`m so thankful. I`m even wondering if it was ever done at all!! Oh, yes, I forgot, I heard it all!!

Take great care.......Ange.
  • sharmaine
    Hi Bertyboy

Thanks for you well wishes. I am pleased to be home. OH is just dishing up Sunday lunch - yummy.

Sharmaine
    bertyboy wrote:
    Welcome home Sharmaine
    i hope things settle down for you which i am sure it will , its early days gentle hugs to you and your new knee xxxxxx