Options
2»

Comments

• dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine,

Can't offer any advice as I'm still lucky enough to have the knees I grew!
    Glad you're back home and 'on the mend' (which you are). Just remember that the pain will eventually go .... not be there forever like the stuff you had before. Take it steady, luv, you'll get there. I'll be rooting for you. ((( )))).
    Dolittle
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Thanks Kathbee

I'm just listening to my aching limbs and resting. OH is home to take care of me and I've just let him get on with it. He's doing a very good job.

I was told about the pain, however, it is to be experienced to believe.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. In 3 weeks time I'll be telling everyone how excellent it all is and the rough times will be forgotten.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    kathbee wrote:
    Glad to hear you are back home Sharmaine.

There is bound to be a lot of soreness and discomfort isnt there
    when you think of how the surgeon gets the new knee in place. :shock:

I have recovered well from a recent THR
    and am thrilled with my legs both being the same length now
    and the pain has GONE,
    and I'm sure in a few weeks time you will be nothing but delighted with your new knee.

Take it steady though,
    I did as I was told and I
    think its the best route to go.

Kath
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi Angel

You were lucky and I'm pleased you didn't have to suffer. Tell me did you have an epidural and GA?

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather too. The good thing is that I now have a straight leg - I just wish I could get rid of the discomfort.

Thanks Angel.
    Sharmaine

As the others, with the same experience of the op as you, have said Sharmaine, you will get rid of the discomfort. Be patient. Not easy I know. You are being very brave, but wise, working through the pain barrier to do the exercises, and you will see the results soon enough.

I just had the epidural, and remained awake throughout. Whilst that really speeded up the recovery, I honestly can`t see how it can have affected the post op pain factor. I feel quite guilty, knowing how you are suffering, when I had absolutely no pain whatsoever, no bruising, and very little swelling. Don`t know what the answer is, just very grateful.

Keep us posted with your progress. Take great care.......Ange
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I know of an aunt on my husband's side who practically danced out of the hospital after a TKR :wink: and never had any pain either, so there are some very lucky peeps out there, like you, Ange, but we get there in the end. :oops: :roll: :wink::lol::lol:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • angel1
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    I know of an aunt on my husband's side who practically danced out of the hospital after a TKR :wink: and never had any pain either, so there are some very lucky peeps out there, like you, Ange, but we get there in the end. :oops: :roll: :wink::lol::lol:

Love
    Elna x

Ooh thanks Elna. that makes me feel less guilty. Hey, these last few days, I`ve been having "twinges" - nothing much - in my unoperated on knee!! Lets hope if I ever need that one doing, I get the same result........Ange X
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Ange

Please do not feel guilty. It is excellent to hear both sides of the story and to know that there are people out there that do recover "instantly".

If you have to go along that road again, I so hope that you do get the same result again.

Although this aunt was sympathetic, I got the impression, she could not quite understand my post op pain. I think she thought I was a wuss (only joking , she knew me better than that!).

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    So glad you are home and you can at least have a proper cuppa.
    Really sorry that you are in so much pain.
    I just wish you a full recovery. Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes, I
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Dolittle

You're right it is early days - one week today to be exact. I slept a wee bit better last night. I had to get OH to remove the white stockings as they are making my heels burn. I'll put them back on soon.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Sharmaine
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Ironic

Yes it is good to be home - enjoying my cups of tea! The discomfort comes and goes. I'm sure it'll ease off. I think the first week after this operation isn't easy. It's a different type of pain. I certainly know I have a new joint because it feels so heavy. For years there was nothing there!

I'm feeling more myself today. Dying to have my hair washed and I'm going to see if OH and I can work out someway of doing it. I thought I could sit on perching stool and lean over kitchen sink. I've just sprinkled talk all over it and given it a good brushing.

Sharmaine
    ironic wrote:
    So glad you are home and you can at least have a proper cuppa.
    Really sorry that you are in so much pain.
    I just wish you a full recovery. Take good care of yourself.

Best wishes, I
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth, Chris, Elna, Angel and everyone else for your kind words. I'm finding ways to cope with getting on/off the bed and settee.

I'm going to attempt a little walk from our drive to the side path. I am excited about being straighter and having a new joint. I want to get better so that I can have the other one done.

I'm off to put on my 3 ice packs and watch a bit of daytime tv whilst having the painful areas iced.

I hope I haven't put anyone off having this op! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Take care.
    tkachev wrote:
    Glad it is over Sharmaine and that your leg is straight for the first time in ages.
    Hope you have a healthy,straight-forward recovery.
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Aw, dear Sharmaine, :D

I don't think you will have put anyone off the operation. :) You are reporting back, how it is for YOU and it affects each and every one of us differently.

What shines through your updates is your utter determination and upbeatness to get through it all and come out the other end with a beautifully, working knee so that you can have the OTHER one done.

How could anyone be put off by your enthusiasm? You are doing sooooooo well and I for one, am extremely proud of you. You are an example to us all as to what can be achieved. Your old knee was most definitely long past its sell by date so you have to work even harder than perhaps some of us, on getting all the muscles to wake up and start working again.

Enjoy that marathon walk today. :D

Love
    Elna x(())

• fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi sharmaine Glad your tkr went well,i've gt a fair idea what the pain is like from my wife Gill who had hers last August,unfortunately hers did not work and she ended up with an infection which is still there a far as we know around the replacement.She goes in next month to have a bone biopsy to find out whats going off, then maybe and its a big maybe her consultant might do a revision sometime next year.

Gill was 49 when she had it done btw and her docs kept telling her she was too young personally i don't know wether its to put the patient off and save NHS money or what, but thats the true cynic in me rearing its ugly head.

Again grats on the success of your op,i'm sure my wife will be happy it worked for you :D
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine,

Sound like you’re really having a tough time.

I had a TKR in May last year but had a very different experience to you.

At my hospital you are in recovery for 24 hours after surgery and then I didn’t come out of hospital until a week after the operation. Although I really wanted to come home I’m glad I was able to stay in because I don’t think I would have coped going home any earlier.

When I came home I was taking paracetamol and tramadol to control the pain, but it wasn’t enough and when my physio came to visit she said I needed to go to see my GP and get more pain relief. I was prescribed some morphine and it made all the difference. A day or so later my friends turned up and took me out for my tea and I had a great time, I couldn’t stay for long but I did it! 2 weeks later I was at a gig at the symphony hall in Birmingham with my Dad and brother, all be it on my scooter and I was feeling pretty rubbish, but again I did it! (I went to see Zappa plays Zappa and believe me…the morphine did enhance the music!!)

I was actually on morphine, tramadol, paracetamol and diazepam for the pain for about 2 months after the surgery. The pain was awful but once I got it under control I recovered very quickly.

Maybe you could have a chat to your GP and tell them that you need something to help you control the pain, you would feel a lot better if you had some help and I’m sure recover quicker.

I’m sorry for rambling on and I hope this helps.

Sally.
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Elna

My birthday is tomorrow and I'll be 54! I'll be spending it at home with my family. I'm defintely feeling a wee bit brighter and put it down to taking my glucosamine again and the ice/heat treatments.

I didn't get out of bed until 11.30 am. OH gets himself sorted out, makes me breakfast then hangs around until I'm dressed. He keeps worrying that I'll fall over!! He's turned out to be a great nurse and I'll owe a lot of my recovery to his care.

How are you getting about now? OH has also been asking. Are you still walking with one crutch? Is your knee still swollen? Take care.

Sharmaine

elnafinn wrote:
    Please do keep in touch, Sharmaine, the swelling and bruising is much improved for me now, thank you, but still get the discomfort every now and again and definitely evenings and night times are the worst but they were last time for me too. It does all get better for sure.
    I am actually still in my dressing gown :oops: so best get up to greet the day. I don't feel too bad about it because I was up in the night when I should have been asleep! I have a physio appointment on Wednesday.

Love
    Elna x()
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Fester

I'm sorry to hear that your lovely wife, Gill's TKR didnt go so well. It seems an awfully long time to have an infection. I am a fan of glucosamine which I'm sure helps with some of the inflammation and pain. I hope her bone scan goes well and they can help her.

I tend to agree that the NHS are always trying to save money but quality of life is a must have as far as I'm concerned. Living with constant pain and poor mobility is tough on everyone concerned- loved ones, family members and spouses.

I'm sending her lots of cyber hugs and a prayer that she improves very soon.

Sharmaine

fester wrote:
    Hi sharmaine Glad your tkr went well,i've gt a fair idea what the pain is like from my wife Gill who had hers last August,unfortunately hers did not work and she ended up with an infection which is still there a far as we know around the replacement.She goes in next month to have a bone biopsy to find out whats going off, then maybe and its a big maybe her consultant might do a revision sometime next year.

Gill was 49 when she had it done btw and her docs kept telling her she was too young personally i don't know wether its to put the patient off and save NHS money or what, but thats the true cynic in me rearing its ugly head.

Again grats on the success of your op,i'm sure my wife will be happy it worked for you :D
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Elna

You have been my inspiration and you prepared me in many ways for my operation and the care etc afterwards. All of which has been great advice. The ice packs; glider etc. Having experienced this yourself and to give your time to the rest of us is a wonderful gift.
    More so because you give it with sound logic and are sympathetic to fellow sufferers.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
    elnafinn wrote:
    Aw, dear Sharmaine, :D

I don't think you will have put anyone off the operation. :) You are reporting back, how it is for YOU and it affects each and every one of us differently.

What shines through your updates is your utter determination and upbeatness to get through it all and come out the other end with a beautifully, working knee so that you can have the OTHER one done.

How could anyone be put off by your enthusiasm? You are doing sooooooo well and I for one, am extremely proud of you. You are an example to us all as to what can be achieved. Your old knee was most definitely long past its sell by date so you have to work even harder than perhaps some of us, on getting all the muscles to wake up and start working again.

Enjoy that marathon walk today. :D

Love
    Elna x(())
  • elnafinn
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    How are you getting about now? OH has also been asking. Are you still walking with one crutch? Is your knee still swollen? Take care.Sharmaine

Dear Sharmaine

Wow, what a birthday pressie, a new knee. :D You will have to talk to it nicely, to back off a little with the pain, if it doesn't mind, for your "special" day.

So happy to know that you are feeling a little brighter and each day you will notice little improvements. Sometimes there may be a slight blip, but don't worry, it will all come out in the wash and be ok the next day. Pleased to hear that OH is doing well wearing his other hat, too. Sounds like you have a real partnership going there, in your recuperation. :D

You ask how I am getting about.... I have been out for about 5 walks now. Two weeks tomorrow, I stopped using any walking aids. At my first post op physio she said that I no longer needed any aid, definitely not in the home but if I went out, take one. The following day I did walk up 5 doors, post a card through the letter box and walked a little further and back home. That was quite enough for me. I did not need any aid. The walks have become longer and this morning I walked into town but did have a sleep on returning home as the knee told me it needed a rest and ice.

I was not this far advanced with my first knee replacement. In actual fact the physio had to get a little cross with me because, quite a few weeks on and I would not go for a walk outside as it was so painful. I did venture out then and I remember I needed one crutch when outside.

Dear Sharmaine, you just have to take the time it takes. Both your knees are/were worse then mine in the first place. I did not need any crutches before either operation so my leg muscles would be stronger, than yours for a start. I used to cycle because that was more comfortable for me than walking but that is still exercising the muscles.

I don't wish you to become despondent if you take some time to become mobile. You still have the other unoperated knee this time around to cope with too. You are doing exceedingly well.

Around the knee is still swollen and the scar is healing very well, but I still have a little red area at the top of the scar but it is healing, albeit it more slowly than the rest of it.I think the surgeon pulled the thread too tightly there and made a pucker! I still find some of the exercises I have been given difficult to do.

Goodness me, I have right rambled on here! :D I bet you wished you had never asked now!! :lol::lol: :roll: :wink:

Love
    Elna x

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine and Elna,

I'm following this thread avidly and really finding the detailed reports on both your progress very interesting. I can't remember having so much pain as you two when I had my TKRs, but maybe it's because that was 10 years ago and like childbirth, my brain has made me forget the worst of the pain :shock:

Keep up the good work girls ...you've got me glued.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Legs

I don't think you have forgotten, you were probably one of the lucky ones like Ange, and an aunt I know! I have just remembered another person who had both done at the same time and her husband said she was fine after the initial getting out of the bed for the first time and the "knees" clunked into place!! Anyway, thank goodness you did not have so much pain, either, because you had both done at the same time! If I had had the same amount of pain in BOTH knees as after my first op and probably even this one, it would have been a total living nightmare! After my first op I even made an appt to see the surgeon well before my 6 week post op appt because I was in such pain and the wound did not look at all savoury to me (even my local gp had a look and said oh dear :( ) but the surgeon reassured me all was fine so off I meekly went! Of course it was ok - he was right :oops: :lol:

Love
    Elna x

• angel1
    Options
    What I`m loving about this thread Elna, is watching the picture unfold daily - better than Corrie! - and sensing how pleased you each are with yourselves. And so you should be!!! Much love....Ange.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hear, hear Ange. a035.gif Couldn't agree more :D

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'