Any tips to help a dyslexic little boy

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 23. Mar 2010, 18:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi my son is 5 and he is having problems at school we are hopeing to get him some extra help. The school have given me some words he has to cover and write he is frightened to write and says he carnt do it have you any tips we could try to get him to try writing and not be frightened thanks from joanne :D
Joanne

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joanne

I hope that your son is not being pressurised into writing at school before he is ready, as this will increase his fear. I wonder whether you have discussed this with his teacher.

I would try to find other less stressful ways of forming the words until he gets the extra help which he needs. If he likes painting, you could make a game of it with painting the letters, or use a sand tray and trace the letters in sand. Some children like to use felt pens and white boards because they can rub out easily so it doesn't matter if mistakes are made. Chalk and a blackboard would be another idea to try. I would stay away from pencil and paper if he is afraid of it. For some children, writing down their ideas on a computer, rather than using pencil and paper, can prove more valuable until they are ready to write.

The emphasis should always be on praise when he makes any attempt at writing, even if it is only one letter, and he could be rewarded for his efforts in some way. He needs to experience success in writing, and then hopefully, his confidence will grow.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I am not sure idf this might help.. how about a large sheet of paper A1
    large coloured pens and maybe just have him do one of the letters of one of the words he has to learn anywhere on the paper.. then another letter of the word on the paper.. etc etc.. Then joining two letters together and so on until he gets the completed word he needs to know. It could be a slow process but maybe worth a try

Maybe linking each letter to an object that he likes to play with or something that he eats.. good luck hun

That is a brilliant idea. Anything which makes it enjoyable, and takes the stress out of it is good.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    Options
    you' ve been given some great advice here. but if you can't find chalk adn baord, try those things on which they can write/draw adn rub off with the thing on the side/

sorry can't think of name, but it's a toy, normally. it has a slide thing to rub off to a clear side tostart again.

also, dont' worry about writing. try the leeters, adn if he wants to spell words by choosing letters.

but as joan said, don't rush him. make a game of it, as much as you can, and wait for the prfession hlep to come. adnmake sure that the school isnot rushing him, but also, all is well with the otehr kids.

good luck, adn a happy mothering sunday

sangita
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi my son is 5 and he is having problems at school we are hopeing to get him some extra help. The school have given me some words he has to cover and write he is frightened to write and says he carnt do it have you any tips we could try to get him to try writing and not be frightened thanks from joanne :D

Hi Joanne,

What type of words is his teacher trying to get him to spell/write?
    CVC words ( cat, dog, pig etc) or common words ( the, come, he etc.) CVC's are easier to get a handle on because you can sound them out, common words are trickier. You could try using magnetic letters on a board and letting him try to make them using these. This is quite helpful for kids who have difficulties writing as it takes some of the stress away. He can then copy them from the board. You can also try air writing using the whole hand and arm to form the letters. Do the words have a pattern eg cat, sat, mat and fat
    ( same rime different initial sound?) What phonics scheme do they use in his school? Jolly phonics has an action to accompany each sound which helps the kids to remember them. Children need to be able to hear, see and feel a word to be able to spell it correctly, this is especially important for those who are struggling as it gives kids more hooks to help them remember. I teach your little boy's age group, but in Scotland and I have developed several ways of dealing with difficult spellings. Please get in touch as I may be able to help more.

B x
  • suncatcher
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Firstly, has your son actually been diagnosed by his teacher or the school? At 5 years old it is a bit young to have such a positive diagnosis and what you don't want to do is transfer your concerns to your son.

You really need to discuss this with his teacher or the school before embarking on remedial work that may not be needed.

I had son iagnosed the dyslexia assosiation at age 4 the nursey and myself had concerns.
    The association agreeed to give him the test early as dyslexia is in the family dad, his sister and uncle have it. The assosiation usually do it age 5.
    It was a lucid test and was done with a dyslexic trained teacher. The test came out moderate it doesnt tell how bad he will be but its an indicator.
    The dislexic assosiation then referred me to Aston uni trialing im with coloured sheets if this is useful to him he will get them made into glasses.
    He is young but they ignored my elder childs problem i took her to the dyslexic intitute and she was diagnosed as having dyslexia graphia aged ten. It justs effects her writing and spelling her reading was brilliant she went intop full time education at the end of level two as was in front on that. My son he has probs with everything and is behind. The teachers have always been aware and now they are trying to get him help. thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Joanne

I hope that your son is not being pressurised into writing at school before he is ready, as this will increase his fear. I wonder whether you have discussed this with his teacher.

I would try to find other less stressful ways of forming the words until he gets the extra help which he needs. If he likes painting, you could make a game of it with painting the letters, or use a sand tray and trace the letters in sand. Some children like to use felt pens and white boards because they can rub out easily so it doesn't matter if mistakes are made. Chalk and a blackboard would be another idea to try. I would stay away from pencil and paper if he is afraid of it. For some children, writing down their ideas on a computer, rather than using pencil and paper, can prove more valuable until they are ready to write.

The emphasis should always be on praise when he makes any attempt at writing, even if it is only one letter, and he could be rewarded for his efforts in some way. He needs to experience success in writing, and then hopefully, his confidence will grow.

Joan

I think he is not ready for writing but the school are aware he has problems and is quite behind. He has been diagnosed with dyslexia age 4 at the dyslexia institute. I am seeing his teacher tomorrow but i am worryed they will say im not helping him enough. I got him a pre school book with stars and its made fun he was ok with that but the school one fills him with dread and he is meant to do this work. I have put the other fun book in his folder to show her.
    thank for information i will follow it.
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I am not sure idf this might help.. how about a large sheet of paper A1
    large coloured pens and maybe just have him do one of the letters of one of the words he has to learn anywhere on the paper.. then another letter of the word on the paper.. etc etc.. Then joining two letters together and so on until he gets the completed word he needs to know. It could be a slow process but maybe worth a try

Maybe linking each letter to an object that he likes to play with or something that he eats.. good luck hun

I like this idea :idea: ill try every thing thanks from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    babette wrote:

Hi Joanne,

What type of words is his teacher trying to get him to spell/write?
    CVC words ( cat, dog, pig etc) or common words ( the, come, he etc.) CVC's are easier to get a handle on because you can sound them out, common words are trickier. You could try using magnetic letters on a board and letting him try to make them using these. This is quite helpful for kids who have difficulties writing as it takes some of the stress away. He can then copy them from the board. You can also try air writing using the whole hand and arm to form the letters. Do the words have a pattern eg cat, sat, mat and fat
    ( same rime different initial sound?) What phonics scheme do they use in his school? Jolly phonics has an action to accompany each sound which helps the kids to remember them. Children need to be able to hear, see and feel a word to be able to spell it correctly, this is especially important for those who are struggling as it gives kids more hooks to help them remember. I teach your little boy's age group, but in Scotland and I have developed several ways of dealing with difficult spellings. Please get in touch as I may be able to help more.

B x

the words are on a sheet which say look at word and cover and write the words are if am on up sat pat sit tip nap man did dim that wk one and two it goes on

Then he has got level one set 3 words. the, on, went, get, go, and and his reading book
    He loves the book ive given him pre school starting to write as it looks more fun and has stickers he will do that but the schools one
    he dont like writing and is frightened to try i dont want to push im not like that but i have to show i am trying and if he is not doing the writing they might think im not bothered helping him and i am. joanne
    Joanne
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Options
    the words are on a sheet which say look at word and cover and write the words are if am on up sat pat sit tip nap man did dim that wk one and two it goes on

Then he has got level one set 3 words. the, on, went, get, go, and and his reading book
    He loves the book ive given him pre school starting to write as it looks more fun and has stickers he will do that but the schools one
    he dont like writing and is frightened to try i dont want to push im not like that but i have to show i am trying and if he is not doing the writing they might think im not bothered helping him and i am. joanne[/quote]

We use a slightly different system up here but the words on the sheet seem to fall into the category of those you can sound out quite easily ( if, am, on, up sat etc.) We teach the sound/letter correspondences first and use magnetic letters to start to create words like those on the sheet, this gives the kids confidence and frees them from having to write when their handwriting is in the early stages. Another trick I have picked up is to write the letters which the child is to write using a highlighter pen and to mark a dot where the you begin to form the letter. Most letters start at the top with the exception of lower case d and e. This gives the kids the confidence to put pencil to paper as they are writing over letters written by an experienced writer. You need to start by making them quite large as wee ones don't have the same control over the pencil as we do. The other words you mentioned seem to relate to his reading book and he probably needs to learn these as sight vocabulary to help him read his book. These are harder to spell as some don't follow a common spelling pattern and there are irregularities in spelling eg come (the o says u and you don't hear the e). Find out as much as you can from his teacher about how they teach these words and also how they are teaching the sounds of words; this should help to give you greater control over how you can help your wee boy. I think that in Scotland we sometimes force children into formal learning far too early and before they are ready, but we generally start school closer to age 5, than children south of the border. My own son really struggled for the first two years of primary and he was 5 1/2 when he started school . It took till he was 7 before he cracked writing and reading and everything began to make sense to him, so you have my every sympathy. I do hope you get some answers from your wee boy's teacher and that he gets the help he needs.
    B x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    I have sent you a personal message.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    babette wrote:

he dont like writing and is frightened to try i dont want to push im not like that but i have to show i am trying and if he is not doing the writing they might think im not bothered helping him and i am. joanne

We use a slightly different system up here but the words on the sheet seem to fall into the category of those you can sound out quite easily ( if, am, on, up sat etc.) We teach the sound/letter correspondences first and use magnetic letters to start to create words like those on the sheet, this gives the kids confidence and frees them from having to write when their handwriting is in the early stages. Another trick I have picked up is to write the letters which the child is to write using a highlighter pen and to mark a dot where the you begin to form the letter. Most letters start at the top with the exception of lower case d and e. This gives the kids the confidence to put pencil to paper as they are writing over letters written by an experienced writer. You need to start by making them quite large as wee ones don't have the same control over the pencil as we do. The other words you mentioned seem to relate to his reading book and he probably needs to learn these as sight vocabulary to help him read his book. These are harder to spell as some don't follow a common spelling pattern and there are irregularities in spelling eg come (the o says u and you don't hear the e). Find out as much as you can from his teacher about how they teach these words and also how they are teaching the sounds of words; this should help to give you greater control over how you can help your wee boy. I think that in Scotland we sometimes force children into formal learning far too early and before they are ready, but we generally start school closer to age 5, than children south of the border. My own son really struggled for the first two years of primary and he was 5 1/2 when he started school . It took till he was 7 before he cracked writing and reading and everything began to make sense to him, so you have my every sympathy. I do hope you get some answers from your wee boy's teacher and that he gets the help he needs.
    B x[/quote]

thanks will try the suggestions joanne :D
    Joanne
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Joanne
    My son is dyslexic and wasn't tested until he was 13 despite me telling them for years that i thought he had it, hes now 14 and gets some help at school.
    its good you had your son tested early and you have been given lots of advice here.
    All i can say is try to fill him with confidence, praise him as much as you can (sure you do anyway).
    best wishes x

ps desite my son having the reading age of a 7yr old, he is in top set maths and taking his P.E GCSE 2yrs early.
    sorry had to do my proud mum bit :lol: well it is mothers day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi we used to do dot to dots make the letter out of dots it not so scary if it just trying to see what the dots r some times a duck others a letter fun is the key or he will build a wall i have with spelling i can not work out whay right and what wrong i know it silly as am quite bright unless it comes to writting and spelling was slow to read as well hated reading out in front of others always was shy at school do not think it helped
    so please no pressure just lotts of fun and get him a special pen / pencil just for doing his writting he can not use it for any thing else let him choose it and always praise him even if it not perfect it the trying that counts as i am sure you know confidence is so important if he has comic he loves find the word in that good luck feel he will be ok with your help and love
    val
  • suncatcher
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi Joanne
    My son is dyslexic and wasn't tested until he was 13 despite me telling them for years that i thought he had it, hes now 14 and gets some help at school.
    its good you had your son tested early and you have been given lots of advice here.
    All i can say is try to fill him with confidence, praise him as much as you can (sure you do anyway).
    best wishes x

ps desite my son having the reading age of a 7yr old, he is in top set maths and taking his P.E GCSE 2yrs early.
    sorry had to do my proud mum bit :lol: well it is mothers day.

You should be proud of him you shout it out girl! :D
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    valval wrote:
    hi we used to do dot to dots make the letter out of dots it not so scary if it just trying to see what the dots r some times a duck others a letter fun is the key or he will build a wall i have with spelling i can not work out whay right and what wrong i know it silly as am quite bright unless it comes to writting and spelling was slow to read as well hated reading out in front of others always was shy at school do not think it helped
    so please no pressure just lotts of fun and get him a special pen / pencil just for doing his writting he can not use it for any thing else let him choose it and always praise him even if it not perfect it the trying that counts as i am sure you know confidence is so important if he has comic he loves find the word in that good luck feel he will be ok with your help and love
    ThanksVAL VAL gosh lots of ideas to try brilliant from joanne price
    Joanne
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joanne.

Bless him its difficult all ways with dyslexia. I know when I was young writing and reading out loud became such an issue I wouldn't do either. I hope the school are understanding and making it fun should help him. Good luck and he will get there just sometimes its a scary place to visit. Cris xx

Hey Sharon,

I'm proud for you as well :D:D Bubbles xx
  • page35
    Options
    Thanx cris x

Joanne- just thought, sorry if someone already said it, how about on a warm day in garden writing with chalk on walls or patio, used to do it with my son and will do with daughter, can draw too and you can wash it off or just leave it and rain will do it. :lol:
    like your new name :D
  • suncatcher
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Thanx cris x

Joanne- just thought, sorry if someone already said it, how about on a warm day in garden writing with chalk on walls or patio, used to do it with my son and will do with daughter, can draw too and you can wash it off or just leave it and rain will do it. :lol:
    like your new name :D

I havent done it here but they do that at school so i will have a go thanks
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    The teacher at patents evening has told me hes been seen by senco lady and he will get some help and ive got to get an occupaional health thing done and what to work on with him. so im happy with that thanks for the replys
    hi skeizer how are u? yes they are good to him at school thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Joanne

Both my girls have dyslexia and dyscalculia (maths). Their step-siter who lives with us too does not.

My heart goes out to you - it's so unfair isnt it?

the good news is that they are both doing ok at school.

Lucy the youngest is 12 and just gone up to big school. The eldest Charlie is 15 and - got her first GCSE paper result (maths) and got an A!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I support all the child friendly ideas the others have given you and would say - you know him best.

Try to make learning fun :D
    Love

Toni xx
  • page35
    Options
    Hi Toni
    Congrats to Charlie thats fantastic :D

We need a proud mum thread :D
  • suncatcher
    Options
    MY sons been seen by senco who agree he needs more help he has poor musle tone so they are looking into ways to help with that. they are going to get him some special scissors with a band so it excercises his hands im also going to see my gp to see if i can get him some occupaional theropy.
    Ive also spoken to teacher about the amount of words he has to learn he forgets easy and the new words mount up so she said do two a night so im pleased thanks for your input any more ideas always welcome thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • skezier
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi Toni
    Congrats to Charlie thats fantastic :D

We need a proud mum thread :D

Hi Sharon,

Can I fill it with sheep? :lol::lol: You know I get so proud of other peoples kids I'd have been hell if I had been a mum, also may not have been a good one :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) and Bubbles xxx

Hi Joanne,

Glad the school are being ok with him and he will get there I am sure. Just in his own time, well that's what I did but the school wasn't kind to me and maybe thats why I took longer? You take care and good luck with your milking :wink: ((( ))) xx
  • naseebapnaapna
    naseebapnaapna Member Posts: 201
    Options
    hey cris,

i just read what you've written. ofcourse it's your generous nature that makes you proud of other's peep's kids.

i think you would have made a great mum. please don't say you would not have been a great parent. you are a loving giving person adn would have been a wonderful parent.

hugs

sangita
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Sangita,

Oh flower that moved me to having a 'bit of dust' in my eye (credits to Tracy Beaker :oops: :lol::lol: ) I hope you all relise I sort have adopted so many of you......... Younger or older than me :wink:

Hope your having a good day and your right you kow I am so proud of some kids and maybe I would have been a reasonable mum..... like Ange I am available a a surrogate to anyone who needs me :lol::lol: Hope you had a good day? Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx