Options
2»

Comments

• queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joanne
    I don't know if this can help, But I am working with children the same age & younger I have also worked one to one with children,
    to help them, I gave them brightly coloured sand in little trays with small sticks, also I have told their parents about different sites they can go onto on their computer at home. one of which the children love,
    it comes up with different letters & the children have to move a little plane with their fingers to trace over the letters, give lots of praise
    I have had lots of children not wanting to write but have enjoyed these activities, another one is get something he's interested in..
    cars for instance use a large sheet of paper draw a letter then let him drive over it following the lines, I hope this is of some help :)
    Sue x
    PS forgot to say to help with his muscles get a bag of straws & let him practise cutting using scissors :wink:
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    queenfan wrote:
    Hi Joanne
    I don't know if this can help, But I am working with children the same age & younger I have also worked one to one with children,
    to help them, I gave them brightly coloured sand in little trays with small sticks, also I have told their parents about different sites they can go onto on their computer at home. one of which the children love,
    it comes up with different letters & the children have to move a little plane with their fingers to trace over the letters, give lots of praise
    I have had lots of children not wanting to write but have enjoyed these activities, another one is get something he's interested in..
    cars for instance use a large sheet of paper draw a letter then let him drive over it following the lines, I hope this is of some help :)
    Sue x
    PS forgot to say to help with his muscles get a bag of straws & let him practise cutting using scissors :wink:

Hi sue thanks for all this info ive got of things new to try with him now and a long shopping list of stuff to get The school told me to get gel and glitter pens ive already got chalk but getting more colours coloured paper tracing paper asertate etc now more coloured sand sticks straws. im also getting bean bags to play catch. if you could tell me the link with the games on be most greatful thanks joanne :D
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Joanne

Both my girls have dyslexia and dyscalculia (maths). Their step-siter who lives with us too does not.

My heart goes out to you - it's so unfair isnt it?

the good news is that they are both doing ok at school.

Lucy the youngest is 12 and just gone up to big school. The eldest Charlie is 15 and - got her first GCSE paper result (maths) and got an A!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I support all the child friendly ideas the others have given you and would say - you know him best.

Try to make learning fun :D
    Love

Toni xx
    congrats to charlie proud mom time :D
    Joanne
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Joanne, you are very lucky to get a diagnosis so early on. My daughter had problems, and all the staff said was "oh shes bright, she will catch up" how could she, every time she tried they had moved on!! She had no self confidence whatsover, she would say to me "i am stupid" it broke my heart.

Eventually she got help had an assessment from the educational psychologist, who agreed she had a specific learning difficulty, we cant call is dyslexia apparently!! She was 10 by then, and only got this as the teacher she had by then was extremely experienced and knew what the problem was. She then got help from a teacher who was trained to work with dyslexia, and she improved so much, and her confidence also blossomed.

I have no more suggestions, as you have lots of brilliant advice already. Your son needs lots of support from someone who understands his problems, and who will give him the confidence to try to write and read etc.

Just as a footnote, my daughter is now an adult and doing her teacher training, the help she received was fantastic, all through her secondary education she had a wonderful teacher who came into some of her lessons and supported her so well. Good luck Joanne, just make sure you fight for what he needs, supportive parents are a must. Take care Jay x
  • suncatcher
    Options
    jordan7j wrote:
    Hi Joanne, you are very lucky to get a diagnosis so early on. My daughter had problems, and all the staff said was "oh shes bright, she will catch up" how could she, every time she tried they had moved on!! She had no self confidence whatsover, she would say to me "i am stupid" it broke my heart.

Eventually she got help had an assessment from the educational psychologist, who agreed she had a specific learning difficulty, we cant call is dyslexia apparently!! She was 10 by then, and only got this as the teacher she had by then was extremely experienced and knew what the problem was. She then got help from a teacher who was trained to work with dyslexia, and she improved so much, and her confidence also blossomed.

I have no more suggestions, as you have lots of brilliant advice already. Your son needs lots of support from someone who understands his problems, and who will give him the confidence to try to write and read etc.

Just as a footnote, my daughter is now an adult and doing her teacher training, the help she received was fantastic, all through her secondary education she had a wonderful teacher who came into some of her lessons and supported her so well. Good luck Joanne, just make sure you fight for what he needs, supportive parents are a must. Take care Jay x

My daughter was also 10 when she was finally diagnosed her confidance went down she is doing her gcse s this year.
    I would not let it happen again to son i spotted the signs so did nursey and were right on it.
    You are another proud mom ,ive heard from now. youmust be so proud of her. Its heart warming news. :D Just shows whats in side them. with the right people round to support and encourage anythings possible :D:D Just fantastic! FROM JOANNE
    Joanne