Double hip relacment

Options
barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
edited 7. May 2010, 18:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have to have both my hips replaced, and maybe one knee, so far.
I was wondering if anyone has had both hips done at the same time, I am thinking about the recovery period, If I have them separate it is going to take for ever.
The thing is I should have had my first hip done a Year ago now, but I was to scared to go ahead with it.
If they do one I may not go back for the other, and then I am back to square one.
Sorry for rambling, just wanted to talk about it really.
Barbara x
Love
Barbara

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi barbara can understand how you feel but things will not get any better if you put it off at least while you r fairlyish mibile you will not have lost to much muscle if you leave it to long you will have to build up muscles and that will be hard not had it done but sure some one who knows what they r talking about will be around soon val
    val
  • barbara12
    Options
    Thanks Val I know you are right, I just wished they would take me in and do both hips, suppose I can dream.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Me again :wink: I am fairly sure there was a post about this before and the general feeling was the recovery is so much easier if you have one good leg to use. I am sure someone did have a double one but I would think it very depends on the ortho's and what they are happy with.

I know they wouldn't do both my feet together (only the first one didn't work too well so when he did the second one he did actually do some more work to the other one but he did say he wouldn't and must have changed his mind as I went to theaters :lol:

I am sure they will explain it all to you if you ask and by talking to them you are not committing to it so might be an idea to get an appointment with your ortho and have a chat abut it all. I kinda think you will have the second cus you will know how much better the done one is. Its easy for me to say it and I do understand your worries but they would take good care of you. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • valval
    Options
    some one said they were having both done the other day can not remember who though . it would be over and done with but make recovery hard and sleeping nearly imposible
    val
  • barbara12
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Barbara,

Me again :wink: I am fairly sure there was a post about this before and the general feeling was the recovery is so much easier if you have one good leg to use. I am sure someone did have a double one but I would think it very depends on the ortho's and what they are happy with.

I know they wouldn't do both my feet together (only the first one didn't work too well so when he did the second one he did actually do some more work to the other one but he did say he wouldn't and must have changed his mind as I went to theaters :lol:

I am sure they will explain it all to you if you ask and by talking to them you are not committing to it so might be an idea to get an appointment with your ortho and have a chat abut it all. I kinda think you will have the second cus you will know how much better the done one is. Its easy for me to say it and I do understand your worries but they would take good care of you. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
    Thanks cris you are right, I will have to talk to my consultant see what he says, I am so scared that it is going to be one op after another, it dose help talking to you lot,I have an appointment in may to see him, hopefully he can talk me in to having it done, :shock:
    Love barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options
    valval wrote:
    some one said they were having both done the other day can not remember who though . it would be over and done with but make recovery hard and sleeping nearly imposible
    Hi val I will have alook back see if I can find the thread, something tells me he wont do it, Im a real wimp
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Barbara

The best things to do is, as you say, talk with your consultant. He will only do one hip at a time if he feels that is the best way forward. He is the person who will know, as he will be performing the operation. It is something he does most days so trust his judgement.

I see what you mean, that it will seem like op after op, but just take one step at a time.

As you cancelled going for a new hip, a year ago, you obviously were not ready then. That is water under the bridge. No good thinking back to that. Wait to see what is said at your May appointment.

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Barbara - there definitely was a posting about this recently.

Is this your own plan or has the consultant suggested it to you? You definitely to have a chat with him about it - as he may or may not be prepared to do it/

Probably worth drawing a pros and cons list and getting as many peeps as possible to contribute to it.

I can see your point - but don't think I'd be keen.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi

I read that Jenni Murray, the Radio 4 presenter, had both hip replaced at the same time (her hip joints deterioratd as a result of chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer). She wrote an article in the Daily Mail about it some months ago. I had not heard about chemo causing this before. If you 'google' her you should find the article - she talks about how she felt afterwards, how long the recovery took, etc...

Best wishes

Marion
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI
    I had my LTHR last year, and feel that having a `good` leg whilst recovering was really beneficial. When learning to walk after the op the physios tell you to use your good leg first when walking, etc.... However, when I was in recovery there was a man who had had both hips done at the same time. This was because after a discussion with his consultant and explained that he didn`t think he would come back again for the 2nd op (fear probably). And as his hips were in a bad state I suppose there was a case for it??
    I need to have surgery on my other hip, probably not a THR initially, but personally don`t think I could have coped with both done together. But, it can be done, so talk it through with your surgeon. Whatever you decide, DO have the surgery if the pain etc.. you are experiencing now is affecting your quality of life. I know I have said it before but it is true. The thought of the surgery and waiting is the worst bit, and the op itself and recovery is not as bad as you ever imagine.
    Ok I have rambled on too long , sorry! :oops:

Good luck
    NB
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thankyou so much for your reply s, It really helps talking to people that understand
    I have took on board what you said, I will see what my consultant says, I would like (well you know what I mean)to have both my hips done together, then I can have my knee done later, but like you say the recovery would be hard, wish I had a magic wand not just for me but for you lot has well.
    Thankyou again
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Barbara!
    I had right hip done 5 months ago & also couldn't imagine recovery after both same time - however I have heard of & wonder if somehow it actually may be better in long run as surgeon could then really check both legs & pelvis equal. Also it means you don't have tp go through all that pain & worry twice.
    Be interested to hear what your consultant says
    Pennie
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Sorry I dont know what is for the best on this one. But I just wanted to send you hugs as I know your worried. Lv, Ix
  • barbara12
    Options
    penfactor wrote:
    Hi Barbara!
    I had right hip done 5 months ago & also couldn't imagine recovery after both same time - however I have heard of & wonder if somehow it actually may be better in long run as surgeon could then really check both legs & pelvis equal. Also it means you don't have tp go through all that pain & worry twice.
    Be interested to hear what your consultant says
    Pennie
    Thanks Pennie, just talking seems to help, I am going to talk to my consultant see what hes says, maybe if he say yes then he will have to pick me up off the floor.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Barbara,

Sorry I dont know what is for the best on this one. But I just wanted to send you hugs as I know your worried. Lv, Ix
    Aww thankyou so much for your support, it really means alot,
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Barbara

Ooooh lovey, one is scarey enough but both together :shock: Sorry don't mean to make your panic worse but what a dilemma! Do hope the consultant visit in May goes well and that you can reach a decision together as to which is the best thing for you to do. You have my sympathy and oodles of hugs ((( ))). Keep in touch with us all on this please.
    love
    Chris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again, Barbara

I have just googled double hip replacement and it was interesting reading. You could do the same if you wish!

One patient was told she would be 14 days in hospital after her double replacement.

One surgeon said he would do one and the patient had to return in three months and he would do the other.

One surgeon's criteria to perform a double op was that the patient must be lean, strong, young, motivated, good bone, and good home support.

I think you will have more of an idea when you have chatted with your surgeon. If he has never done a double but decides he would for you, I would personally panic. I would want a surgeon who had done hundreds before he would do a double on me :lol::lol:

I wish you all the very best at your appointment in May. Not that far away now. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Barbara :D

I don't have any experience of THRs...but I did know a woman in the Western Isles, where I lived, who did have both hips done.....very successfully.
    I don't know what criteria the surgeon used for deciding to offer the double op.....but I think the key is that it's the surgeon's opinion that it would benefit you.... and he has experience in doing this type of op.

deciding about having any surgery is difficult and I can see where you're coming from wanting to have it over 'in one go'. Talk to your doc..who knows you best...and then the surgeon.They are both bound to have an opinion and will have your best interests at heart.

let us know Barbara what you decide...we will help you through it!
    Iris x

ps.....my daughter Carol said just recently (tongue in cheek) that she thinks my ortho surgeon should just do all my future ops (wrist, knees, feet, neck) in one go and just keep me sedated until it's all over and I've fully recovered :lol::lol: ......think that's taking it a bit too far :!: :!: :!:
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Once again thankyou it means so much having all this support.
    Chris thankyou, for the hugs, you didnt panic me, I was doing that already.
    Elna, thankyou for googling it, I was to scared to do it, is it just me that get this scared I ask myself.
    Iris, thankyou for replying, when you have all that to go through, isnt it nice to support one another, good luck with your ops.
    Lots of to everyone
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    Options
    we will be waiting with bated breath to see what he says and what you decide good luck
    val
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Barbara.
    try not to worry.
    i had my hip done 14 years ago and its still going strong and i just been to the gym i went on the treadmill and the rowing machine.
    when i was having my tkr there was a lady in having 2 thrs.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    is it just me that get this scared I ask myself.

No of course it's not just you. I've been having my own panic this afternoon - as my hip op might be sooner than I had thought!! Even though I say at least once a day - I need my op as soon as poss - I can't carry on like this ...

Fear is natural - don't bottle it up talk about - on here, to friends and family. Posting on the forum has really helped me to calm down and get a grip (for now!!)

Whereabouts in May is your appointment?

I find info helps me feel more in control so I have read avidly about my hip op - not about the actual surgery but people's experiences, recovery advice, waht to expect, what I should/should not do etc This forum really helped me to realise that the outcome of the op made it all worth it ...

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Barbara.
    try not to worry.
    i had my hip done 14 years ago and its still going strong and i just been to the gym i went on the treadmill and the rowing machine.
    when i was having my tkr there was a lady in having 2 thrs.
    joan xx
    Thankyou joan,It really does help to hear that you have done so well with your hip, I do hope your knee is has good for you.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Barbara,
    is it just me that get this scared I ask myself.

No of course it's not just you. I've been having my own panic this afternoon - as my hip op might be sooner than I had thought!! Even though I say at least once a day - I need my op as soon as poss - I can't carry on like this ...

Fear is natural - don't bottle it up talk about - on here, to friends and family. Posting on the forum has really helped me to calm down and get a grip (for now!!)

Whereabouts in May is your appointment?

I find info helps me feel more in control so I have read avidly about my hip op - not about the actual surgery but people's experiences, recovery advice, waht to expect, what I should/should not do etc This forum really helped me to realise that the outcome of the op made it all worth it ...

Speedalong
    Hi speedalong, I have left you a reply on your thread, how are you doing with the arrangements, maybe they will give you another date if the one they have is to early.
    My date with the consultant is 18th may two days after my 60th , let me know how you get on and good luck again.
    Love barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your support. I'm making lists ....

Good luck with your appointment ... let us know what they say.
    Are you doing anything nice for your 60th? Focus on planning that to take your mind of the wait.

Speedalong
    x