could I be getting an ulcer?

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 4. May 2010, 16:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been suffering after I eat and it only started during the past few weeks. It is worse in the evening when lying down. The symptoms are like heartburn and there is a heavy acidy sensation and last night got some reflux sicky. It is now happening after every meal so I am wondering if I may have an ulcer developing.
I recently stopped taking Ibuprofen retard on my rheumatologists advice because I had been taken it for years(at least 6).Thankfully my arthritis has not got noticeably worse since I stopped but this has all started and is worrying me.
Any advice?

Best wishes
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

Its sound suspiciously familiar..... You need to get it checked out flower. They should put you on zoton or rasberzole and well both work well and the ibuprofen is possibly the culprit. Eat bland for a bit and get your self looked at please. Luv and a hope it soon calms down, oh and stuff like gaviscon helps Cris xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with all Cris says. Gaviscon is a good stop gap but you need to see your GP, drinking milk after your meal might help a little too.

Let us know what happens.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks Cris,
    I hate going to the docs only if I have too.I might phone a helpline see what sort of examination is involved. i got a phobia about certain things.

Thanks again
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth -

Sorry you are having this problem. I don't know anything about ulcers but I know that long term use of anti-inflammatories can give you stomach problems. When I started to get discomfort, the GP prescribed other pills to be taken with the anti-inflamms to try to protect my stomach. My advice would be to check it out with your GP - specially since it is not getting any better, just to be on the safe side.
    Hope this helps some. Tilly.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I was lucky cus hey just gave me different tablets and no tests..... I was being sick and it was bleeding so you MUST get it checked out cus they can get a bit nasty....... GO to the DOC!!! :wink: Hey I am getting a bit of phobia about needles...... with the drip so often I must get that under control :roll: :lol::lol: ((( ))) xx

LEGS................. HI and a huge (((((( )))))) Cris who must stop wasting time and get out there in a bit of watery trying to break through sun :D xxxxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth,

I was lucky cus hey just gave me different tablets and no tests..... I was being sick and it was bleeding so you MUST get it checked out cus they can get a bit nasty....... GO to the DOC!!! :wink: Hey I am getting a bit of phobia about needles...... with the drip so often I must get that under control :roll: :lol::lol: ((( ))) xx

LEGS................. HI and a huge (((((( )))))) Cris who must stop wasting time and get out there in a bit of watery trying to break through sun :D xxxxx

Hi Cris thanks for the humungous hug, here's one back (( :D )) and c'mon girl whatcha playing about at get your wellies on work is calling :wink:

Luv Legs who's just put her size 7s on to give you a kick up the jacksy to get you going :lol::lol::lol: XX

PS Love the new assertive you :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

As others have said anti inflams can cause problems, more like stomach pains and feeling nauseaus. You should have a chat with your gp. I changed from diclo which was fine for a couple of years and then suddenly did not agree with me. Arcoxia are ok for me and that was the end of the discomfort.

It could be a hiatus hernia but without medical advice you can start getting yourself in a little panic about it and it may well be solved pretty instantly. So I would make a gp appointment although I can appreciate you would rather not but I do think you will probably feel a little more relieved after off loading to the doc about it. That is what they are there for, after all.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Legs,

Oh do I need the kick.... kinda feeling sorry for my self today, never good eh?! Give me a shaking as well :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You take care Flower and there will be more pics of my little time waster today..... Tell you I spend hours cuddling and scratching a foal...... Hey been talking to the next (though 2 more mares are arriving soon so they might be the next...) and hope the theory holds.....

You ok? I really have missed seeing you about.....

Luv

Cris who is doing a masters degree in procrastination :lol::lol::lol: Hey should ace it :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: xxxx

Hi Elna,

Those are the tablets I want but are they as god as diclo's? ((( ))) to you as well and nice to bump into you. Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi Gymnast. Yes, go to the docs. The longer you put it off, the worse it could become. Nip things in the bud. If you do need a camera-down-the-throat effort ask for sedation. My brother-in-law does and as a result he knows nothing about the procedure. Take care and act on our wise advice! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Elna,

Those are the tablets I want but are they as god as diclo's? ((( ))) to you as well and nice to bump into you. Cris xx

Hello my lovely, yes I believe so. Toni is on them too. :) i have recently halved the daily dosage and that is working fine for me - why did I not think to try that before :roll: :lol:

Hugs to you, as I said on the reasons to be cheerful thread, I have many to give away today. :D

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    I have been suffering after I eat and it only started during the past few weeks. It is worse in the evening when lying down. The symptoms are like heartburn and there is a heavy acidy sensation and last night got some reflux sicky. It is now happening after every meal so I am wondering if I may have an ulcer developing.
    I recently stopped taking Ibuprofen retard on my rheumatologists advice because I had been taken it for years(at least 6).Thankfully my arthritis has not got noticeably worse since I stopped but this has all started and is worrying me.
    Any advice?

Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    hi there, yes it seems you have acid reflux so best avoid anything with cream ,chocolate or anything spicy and dont eat or drink late at night even tea and coffee can be culprits there ,you wont need tests at docs as he will know the symptoms well and prescribe you something that will definately help but it you are in the habit of eating late stop that and see how you go,as the others have suggested gaviscon till the tabs from doc kick in, good luck wynnie
  • tkachev
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with all Cris says. Gaviscon is a good stop gap but you need to see your GP, drinking milk after your meal might help a little too.

Sorry Linda Your post must have come up as I posted a reply to Cris. Yes I will try milk to see if that settles. I have rung NRAS helpline and they advised me to contact my R.Nurse which I did straight away for a change!I will go to GP(which I hate) but as it appears it could get worse I suppose I must do so.
    Many thanks
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou everybody else,

It is not needles but throats I have a problem with. That is why I had spinal anaesthetic for my THR, rather that than a tube down the throat.
    Why now though? I have been on tablets for ten years.Is it that the reason I have this problem?
    Is it a gradual erosion.
    I do drink at night. Milky chocolate or tea is my saviour.I dont think I would like to give them up.
    There is a nice lady GP so I will see if I can get an appointment with her.
    Cheers for now
    Uncomfortable
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi Gymnast. Yes, go to the docs. The longer you put it off, the worse it could become. Nip things in the bud. If you do need a camera-down-the-throat effort ask for sedation. My brother-in-law does and as a result he knows nothing about the procedure. Take care and act on our wise advice! Dreamdaisy

Hi Dreamdaisy,
    Cant do any gym now. In fact I should be watching the Europeans now instead of being on here but I felt so ill and sick I decided Ishould seek advice pronto.....
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi elizabeth

Have you made an appointment?? I hope it is something less scary :(

Dont want you to have an ulcer :shock:

i get reflux when I forget my lanzoprazole.....

Does anyone know what symptoms a hiatus hernia gives??

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh tkachev, I'm so sorry. Rest, rest, rest, then rest some more and feel better soon. Regards, Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    Options
    H Toni,

Yes cus i probably got one :wink: The pain is there most of the time and it starts right at the sternum and goes to the right.... leaning forward it feels a bit like a tennis ball is in the way. The Lansoprazole helps with that as well but as with Elizabeth if you think you might have one get it checked out.

There are 2 types and I am don't know what the symptoms for that one is cus mine is a high one i think its called....... Get looked at Toni...... stern face! :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) xx

hey Elizabeth,

have you got your appointment yet? ((( ))) xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Yes I have booked an appointment but cant be seen until next Friday 7th! I will in the meantime get some gaviscon. I feel like i need to be sick, not in the methotrexate sense where you feel quesy, but like I have eaten too much.
    Hiatus hernia.I hope not as my mum had a dreadful time with hers.

Regards
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

They are different pains and your sounds more like a ulcer starting but eat bland for a bit and gaviscon might help you so much. A ((( ))) and a hope Cris xx
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth,

Hi

I have GERD ( Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease) which manifests in exactly the way you describe. Unlike Cris I find Gaviscon doesn't help; something to do with the peppermint makes me worse. Milk is not advisable as it aggravates the situation; according to all the websites on the subject, you should drink plain water. The culprit for me, which I've only recently discovered is codeine, so those lovely co codamol which the doc gave me for my arthur are a big no no! I think you should probably visit your Gp, you are right in thinking it could be one of the meds which is causing the trouble. Ihope you manage to get it sorted out as it is the most uncomfortable condition to have - I thought I was having a heart attack the first time it happened. Best wishes B x
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Any advice?

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Sorry to hear about your tummy problems. You MUST go to Dr. Last year I had an ulcer caused by Molixicam (anti-inflam). I had no imdigestion type symptons, just felt dreadful with awful pains in back and lower stomach. So, please act now. Good luck.
    Jane
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    sorry your suffering, thats a long time to wait to see a doctor till next friday, is there another doc you can see before that?
    you take care
    sharon
  • tkachev
    Options
    Right. Seems like I had better get it checked. I have spent so much time with medical staff (with the childrens issues as well) it gets a bit tiring and I worry that they will think the whole family is a burden.
    Last night I could feel something inside. Bit hard to explain really but I was aware there was some aggravation going on.The pain was concerntrated on the left side of stomach and in a small area.The burning/acid feeling is down the middle and higher up.
    Water is the best thing to soothe it but I do have the bladder from hell so I guess I had better park myself next to the loo.
    It really helps to hear your stories so thankyou everyone.
    Regards
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi definately get it checked out. I ignored all my symptoms and just puit them down to stress that I was under at the time so kept away from the doc. Then, one evening I had massive pain and ended up having a month in hospital with perforated duodenal??spell? ulcer. These days a simple test can tell you and effective, medication given, and the ulcer heals! I don't want to worry you, or frighten you, it is a rare thing and my fault, really.
    Love Sue
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    ouch sue

get down the docs Elizabeth.
    have you tryed sucking ice cubes instead of drinking water?? if your teeth are not sensitive. my mate sucked ice constantly through her pregancy to help the heartburn and cos ur not taking on so much water you wont have to hot foot it to the lav so much :D
    take care
    sharon