Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HELP.How do I get rid of ivy easily ,my hands can't pull too much I've tried weed killers and brushwood sprays nothing seems to work,it's on the ground in a corner not as yet climbing but it's spreading on the ground. Mig
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I've got ivy in both the front and back gardens. I'm forever pulling it out but don't know of any easy way.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I've been mending the greenhouse, we brought it about 25 odd years ago and have always taken it when we moved. I decided to use the twin walled polycarbonate, easy to fix in and easy to cut. Clearing the outside was hard work, a new bench is also needed before next year, along with a bigger vent (than the broken glass!).

It does seem to have been a better year for most veg, we are still dining out and will do for while yet on tbe garden produce.
  • Airwave!
    Options
    I have the same probkems trying to pull ivy up, but it does seem the best way. I have used a mixture of weed and root killer at double strength, it takes a long time to work but does seem to keep it at bay.

If you have problems pulling, use a screwdriver or similar to get under the vines and lever them up.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good idea. Mig
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Cover ivy with black plastic after a ruthless cutting?? Not sure, but that might work. Probably need to keep the area around a main stem covered for a good long time.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry I've not been here for a while but I have lurked now and then.
    Toady, I'm happy to hear you grew your Cerinthe and got lots of seeds. Pinching out the tips really does help. You can sow some now and keep them somewhere sheltered outside or in a cold frame if you have one. You'll have early flowers next year and the bees will love you.
    It's also a good time now to sow Calendula or Cornflower and Foxglove and Honesty seeds, they'll all safely overwinter outside and should bloom next year for you. In any case they'll be strong hardy plants.
    As to the Hollyhock, they should bloom next year, they only rarely bloom the same year as they're sown. Good luck with them and hope you don't get rust, yet another plant as are the above, to give tons of seeds.

It's been a fairly good year for me garden wise, the garden is full of colour with the Dahlia Rudbeckia and Cosmos all blooming their socks off. The Fuschia are still going strong as are the petunia although I know their time is limited.

The allotment was'nt too bad but because nobody around me is working their plots, weeds are a huge problem. However I did get some delicious potatoes, tomatoes, onions which I'd planted last autumn as sets in the ground so I got an early crop, garlic, soon be time to plant that again. I've got my cloves ready and waiting.
    I've also got loads of Blackcurrents and Strawberries which I've frozen, I'll make jam with them some dark and dreary autumn or winters day. I've made my green tomato chutney and most of the others are sitting ripening in the kitchen. I grew the new black one Indigo Rose and was very impressed with the taste of it, another new one for me and also delicious was the yellow one Yellow Submarine. Unfortunately they got blight so I had to lift them early, the tomatoes thankfully were not infected as I took them off as soon as I noticed the leaves.

Soon be time to sow the sweetpea again as well. I mostly sow about 4 or 5 seeds into a 1ltr pot and let them grow in them until I plant them out in early springtime/late winter depending on how mild it is. I grow them hard outside usually sheltered on the windowledge or by a wall and they come through rain and frost and snow if we have it. They get pinched out when they've got about 8 leaves or so.

Hope everyone can find something to sow now, be it salads, or planting Garlic or Onions or flower seeds. It really does make the winter shorter.
    Ritwren
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Its rudbeckia that I've just bought. they are lovely.

Some of my hollyhocks were planted 2 years ago. the leaves are currently flourishing so I'm hopeful for flowers next Summer.

I have just noticed my phlox has also disappeared along with the delphiniums :x

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    Options
    Sounds as if everyone has been busy. I have only manage to weed and keep things from getting out of hand this year. Still haven't finished that. Hopefully, I can get some more colour next year. My garden is mostly green.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Been outside with grandson helping me, I picked the pears and he eat them, I was a couple of feet up the ladder and he was underneath with a plastic bag shouting at me.......gathered the eating apples as well before they all drop off, I'll leave the cookers a week or two yet. Picked the last of the beans and sweet peas, tipped a cuppa tea over myself after forgetting I had it in the crook of my arm. The spinach is growing a bit slower now so the new growth is smaller and sweeter, nice, the small snails that were eating it faster than I was have stopped gorging, thank goodness. Mustn't forget the beetroot too.

I've brought some treated 8inch timber boards to make the raised bed about 50% bigger for next year and hopefully plant more veg and soft fruits. The polycarbonate plastic in the greenhouse worked well, the toms have been good although the grandchildren didn't like the brown ones, ha ha. A new staging is planned for next spring I shall have to get on with it soon along with repairing the floor. It never stops.......?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It took some hunting but I found the thread - this is not a busy time of the gardening year methinks! :wink:

One of my friends (who is a professional gardener) came round earlier this week to begin a good garden clear-out, charged at mate's rates which was a boon. She spent hours doing both sides of the drive and unearthed our many snowdrops, which today burst into bloom: there are little dots of white on one side so I hope to redress the balance by adding some to the other. They are incredible little flowers, so stubborn against the travails of cold weather, yes? They are my favourite and there are so many kinds: forget all your showy summer blooms when the days are brighter and the weather warmer, these little guys have ignored that and burst forth, bless 'em.

I also had a honey bee on Beatrice's windscreen this morning - a rather dopey one but surely it's too early? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    My Mum used to adore snowdrops, (and Lily of the valley), I planted some in our garden and they do pop up every year. Last year I missed them completely because we were in hospital.....

had a look and can't see any white heads from here yet, but hopefully soon eh?

Good that you have some real help with your garden DD :) .

I hope no-one has any damage due to the winds?

Love

Toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Another week or so and I'll be out in the garden, I usually wait for those glorious cold but still days, put two jumpers on and toddle up and down doing jobs, they don't seem to be happening at present but jobs still need doing.

As I sit here the winds ablowin, the trees bending and shaking, winter still has a grip. I expect the crows will be back soon to start building in the tree tops, any rate lets get on with something!
  • applerose
    Options
    How lovely to have someone clean your garden up for you DD. Haven't seen anything of my snowdrops yet but they are poking through in other gardens round about. You'll be able to enjoy yours this year Toni. You are keen Airwave. I won't be doing anything till the weather starts to warm up.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello applerose, the former owner of No.10 was a very keen gardener and I promised her I would keep it going and so far so good. I have a love / hate relationship with flowers ( and I loathe gardening ) but it is a lovely space and worth its costs in maintenance. I appreciate that I am very fortunate in that I can do this.

Now, my lovely Frog, this could be the year you reconnect with your garden and I hope you do! Airwave, good luck with yours this year and I hope you enjoy doing it. DD

PS How's the decorating going?
  • Airwave!
    Options
    As usual, I have bitten off more than I can chew! Spent a good deal of time painting and then just had to sit down and I've just got up four hours later!

Thats why gardening is so good, don't have to concentrate so much, just get on and do it!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    That's it Airwave!!

It relaxes me so much. The peaceful sounds of the birds and trees moving in the breeze is all you hear (until the neighbour's kids come home from school!!!), so calming.

DD I fully intend to enjoy my garden this year! It is a mess I am ashamed to say.

I am glad for you that you have some help so you can keep your promise to the lady who lived in your house before you.

Christine - maybe you and I are further North than DD? Our snowdrops will be along soon I hope :)

c010.gif

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    DD I remember you telling us that you had promised to look after the garden. It sounded like a wonderful place to relax. I agree Airwave and Toni. I love pottering in the summer. Doesn't matter what I am doing, usually weeding or snipping at something which is getting a bit too big. I used to spend hours working in the garden but can only manage about half an hour at a time now but sitting quietly is good too. Yes I'm in the NE Toni. I'm sure our snowdrops will be along soon though.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is a lovely garden, applerose, our house is situated (on all four sides) at the bottom of all the surrounding neighbours' gardens so ours is completely enclosed and not overlooked in any way. Despite being close to the town centre it is a little haven of peace and tranquillity, just bird song and the very distant sound of traffic. Mind you, when ITFC are playing at home, and the wind is in the right direction, it is rather different!

I remember hearing on QI that spring moves northwards at four miles per day so if you are more northerly your spring will arrive later than that in the south. I assure you it's coming! DD

PS Keep up the good work, Airwave!
  • applerose
    Options
    Don't be keeping the spring to yourself now. Send it up once it reaches you. :lol:
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, an update on our garden. It took our gardening friend a total of six weeks work (totalling close to 36 hours so) to clear away all the old vegetation which was strangling the border plants, to clear the ivy clinging all over the garages walls (our walled garden is formed by the back walls of a row of garages) and to re-arrange some of the plants. I had a pot of bluebell bulbs, which my Pa sent to me when we bought our first house, and she has planted them out in clumps here and there so I now have a lovely reminder of my parents' garden. The Spouse had to make numerous trips to the dump. :D

This morning I bought a magnolia x soulangeana, I have hankered after one of these for years and now I have one. I have read the instructions about planting and am none-the-wiser: I feel an email to my friend is in the pipeline! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The magnolia is in and I hope it will thrive. Time will tell, yes? DD
  • applerose
    Options
    You're friend has done a lot of work. Bet the garden looks fantastic now. I love magnolias. What colour is yours DD?
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I apologise for my late reply, I've not been having a good time. This is the one with the big, fat blooms in white and pink, with a mauvey stripe up the middle of the petals - well, it should be but I doubt I'll see those this year. The star magnolia has had fat furry buds since before Christmas, that should soon begin to bloom. The crocus and snowdrops on the lawn are lovely! DD
  • applerose
    Options
    Lovely. You'll have to post a picture when they are in bloom. Would be lovely to see them.

My lawn is a bit of a mess at the moment, having had a dog running about on it when it was soggy. And he has been wiping his feet so digging ridges here and there. I don't keep the lawn looking perfect by any means. I leave all the wild flowers to grow.
    Christine