Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,180
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Nice to see someone in gardening :) I too am trying to do a bit at a time but I find it hard not to get ahead of myself mentally (as with everything :roll: ) and start getting a bit harassed. I need a much better Zen approach, which I am working on.. 'Just fill a couple of pots of compost.. just soak some seeds.. just wash some pots.. just concentrate on the bit you're actually on!'

I can believe cerinthe are nice and easy as their seedlings have come up beautifully, lovely sturdy little things :) an example to other seedlings!

I will just trial and error it with the basil. With some types it would be obvious they would have to make their growth in the one year being annuals, but the thai variety seems to sort of fall within perennials, so I wondered if they do better in following years. But I will just have a go, thanks anyway.

Hope you fit everything into your garden.. it sounds lovely.. a nice established mix. :)
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Toady, I've had a google for Thai Basil and it does seem quite difficult to grow from what I've read. Hope yours is hanging in there.

A couple of weeks with no frost and the odd bit of sunshine has made the garden flourish. I've now got some Tulips flowering along with a succession of Daffodils and Hyacinth. Happy Days.

How is everyone getting on in the garden? I have to be strict with myself otherwise I pay dearly for it but am managing to keep on top of most of what I need to do. The extra long days are really helping. :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can't believe I'm posting on here (and neither would Tilly or Frog!)

We moved in December to a house with a proper garden (it has flowers and everything :D ). The previous owner was a very keen gardener and I promised her I would maintain it (gulp) so, to that end, I have a friend helping out (or rather he's doing all the work and I pay him a pittance in cash and feed him coffee and bikkies). Today I bought a reeled hosepipe and cannot for the life of me work out how to connect the shorter bit of hose to the reel to feed the 30 metre snake thereupon coiled. I confess I bought it from the orange-themed supermarket and it was made in China but how I wish someone had taken the time to accurately translate the 'instructions'. I suspect that no-one will be able to help but at least I am trying to be a gardener. :wink:

The back wall of the garden is brick and smothered in climbing roses and something with lots of red berries that the birds enjoy eating / pulling off for the fun of it. We have a star magnolia which is going over, a 'plonked' azalea in full bloom (it was in a pot but she chose to save the pot rather than the plant so it was plonked on a flower bed) and beds full of daffs and tulips. Various clematis and wisteria are beginning to go great guns and I know they will need water but I cannot cope with a watering can, hence the hose. The lawn was redolent with crocuses and an attempt at a tulip or two but was mown today and looks the better for it. The drive is lined on one side with daffs, tulips, hyacinths, 'Christmas Rose' and more clematis, the other is 'Elephants ears' (UGH) and 'un-diagnosed' shrubbery. I don't know much but I do know that I cannot cope with the required watering. Yikes!

When we met the neighbours in January the first question posed to me (every single time) was 'Do you garden?' The answer remained the same - no - but I will ensure the garden is cared for (I knew what I was facing). The neighbourhood gardens are opened annually to raise money for an unspecified charity - I won't let the side down. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,180
    Options
    Hello fellow gardeners (and maintainers) :D

Thanks ritwren, I have resown my basil, this time in decent seed compost instead of skimping, & following some slightly better instructions for germinating I hope to get somewhere. I am not getting large amounts done, having to be sensible, as you say.. I have just done a sowing session and hope to gain on things by sensible degrees now that I've made a fair start. Pots outside are waiting for carrots & spring onions, not sure if I will get around to peas this year. Also working through a bit of tidying.. my alliums are definitely on the way up and with those & a couple of things already in the border it won't be totally empty until other stuff is ready to go in. I don't have any tulips but might get some not-too-tall ones. I'm rather annoyed that I realised too late my ranunculus bulbs didn't appreciate being left in sodden pots and have mostly rotted, bar 2 or 3. My fault I should have checked on them through all the wet weather.

Hello daisy, I'm afraid I know nothing about hoses but I hope you get the better of the snake and not the other way around! Sounds like your friend is doing a sterling job, it is rather a responsibility taking on someone else's pride & joy so the more help the better. I am waiting for a chap to come and sort my overgrown trees at the front, enjoying the annoyance that will cause all the local tree firms who regard me as a prime little job (seeing as most folks in my road are of the paved drive & 2 pots type), there is probably a prize going, for the one that manages to pick me off if they knock/ring/pester long enough. :lol: Hope your azalea survives its summary plonking I believe they are rather tough.. they like a lot of watering & that's mostly what I know about azalea. Have one in a pot I can't decide where to put, as all I know is it's hardy but not how large it could get & therefore where it should go. It has an incredible number of buds for a small potbound shrub, I may post it & see if someone can give me a pointer.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The azalea has survived - it's been flowering since the end of February. :shock: Chris is going to replant it next week - we have the ericaceous compost and we'll dig it in where it currently is because it seems to like it there. The fact that I don't is, I suspect, neither here nor there. :wink:

Flowers were my mortal enemy when I was a child and I'm still not fond of them - I had chronic asthma but back in those days nobody knew what caused it. One late spring night in 1967 (I was eight) I came very close to death - I remember passing out due to lack of air. It was the vase of iris in the hearth which was the culprit but Ma didn't know. Damned things. Iris are now my favourite flowers but only in picture form. :lol: DD
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    It sounds as if you are all getting busy now in your gardens. Your garden sounds wonderful DD. Hope you manage to keep on top of it. I can't get the motivation to go and do anything at the moment but have noticed, through the kitchen window, that my broom and kerria are flowering very nicely and other things are growing. Daffs and hyacynths are looking wonderful in the front garden as well as the large cyclamen. I really need to do a bit more tidying and get some seeds on the go. Maybe on Sunday if the weather can tempt me out.
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    DD, I assume your clematis etc are planted in the open ground rather than containers, in which case they don't need watering. If the previous owners did water them then those plants will have acquired an H2O dependency that they need to be weaned off. Looking after the garden does not mean keeping it stuck in aspic as a monument to its creators(unless you are a heritage site) but developing it, or allowing it to develop, to suit your needs and limitations. A good selection of bulbs, shrubs and perennials that are suited to your soil and climate conditions should largely look after itself. Timely episodes of pruning, weed removal, addition of mulch, should ensure a decent display of flowers in season and healthy plants able to stand up for themselves without constant input from you.If they need frequent attention with a hose then they're the wrong plants in the wrong place and need to be removed and possibly replaced with something more amenable. Looking at other gardens, and planted areas in car parks etc, in the area will suggest what does well.
    Here endeth the sermon from a passionate gardener who has had to change the way she gardens significantly due to OA and OP, and in the process discovered arguably a better relationship with her garden.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Our garden is wonderful (and I speak as someone who doesn't like them!) Our house is hidden from the road down a drive which is about 150' long, the only window to be seen is the bay one in the kitchen. There's a solid high gate set into a wall which links the garage to the house, you open the gate and you find a secret world.

The garden is another 150' or so, a rectangular plot; to the right is an old wall which is the back wall of around a dozen garages. They have been there since the twenties so the brick is beautifully weathered. They belong to a large house overlooking the park (now divided into flats); our house to its rear was its coach house. We are slotted in at the bottom of all the neighbours' gardens, the sun rises just behind the house and sets on the drive side so the garden gets sun for most of the day. In front of the wall there is a long, raised bed which is stuffed to the gunnels with foliage and flowers. Against the wall are some climbing roses, ivy and some unidentified foliage which is smothered in red berries - the birds love those. There is a well-established star magnolia outside the garage side door, which is going over but has many more buds appearing - is that usual? There are three separate patio areas and a row of conifers at the far end: they need pruning but only once the nesting birds have gone.

The house has windows along one side only, so every aspect is the garden. We have French doors in the kitchen, the dining room and our bedroom. Running along the front of the house is another bed (not raised) planted with roses, clematis, bulbs and things-yet-to-appear. Next to the kitchen there is a semi-circular bed with bulbs, clematis and a wisteria planted against the wall next to the gate. The drive is lined on both sides with a variety of bulbs, clematis and 'elephant's ears' (I dislike those), plus some well-established bushery and a tree or two. I don't know what they are.

I appreciate the garden and all Maddy's hard work but no, it won't be a shrine to her endeavours. For starters there are no pansies. I love pansies so will buy some for Chris to plant next Tuesday. I am busy buying lanterns and solar lights, I have a load to string along the wall but again I think I will need his help - he has longer arms and could climb onto the bed - I have found out that I can't. :(

So, that's it. We are very fortunate, especially as we paid off the mortgage last Friday. This little piece of Paradise is all ours, nobody can take it from us. I'm off for a wander round and to get the post. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Chris is the husband of my masseuse - he left his delivery man job in the NHS and launched himself into helping people out. He had a ready-made client base (thanks to his wife who works mainly with the elderly, mainly lots of widows who already knew Chris and needed painting doing, light bulbs changing etc.) and he is currently booked solid. We're in Ipswich - he might be willing to travel! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Their numbers are increasing - scour your local small ads, ask your friends, look at cards in Post Offices etc. I admit I am very lucky because I've known Chris and Von for 15 years, they were neighbours until we moved before Christmas. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We have conclusive proof that we 'own' at least one hedgehog (but hopefully more ). We had them nesting in our old garden so I am investigating hedgehog boxes etc. as it would be lovely to share out garden with those lovely little creatures - plus they like eating slugs etc. Useful things, hedgehogs. :wink: DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Early this morning I was lying awake when I heard the soft snorts and snuffles of a rootling hedgehog. :D I'm assuming it's a bloke so he is now Mr Pindsvin. 'Pindsvin' is Danish for hedgehog, 'pind' as in twig or branch and 'svin' as in swine. I left out some water but, as it rained overnight, I can't tell if he had any. DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    How nice DD!!

Likes slugs? That's just what I need :D
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Daisy, your garden and home sound beautiful :mrgreen: Even the elephant ears...
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hurrah! I am very pleased for you, Charisse, you enjoyed your gardening and now others can help - a good thing, no? I've never enjoyed it but now find myself doing things that never stirred me: a slippery slope methinks :wink:

So, today I have installed three fat ball stations for birds and have bought a further three seed stations which Chris will sort out - he will also install Mr Pindsvin's house (which I realise won't be used until the Autumn) but hopefully by then the human scent of it will be gone. There is a row of five conifers close to our bedroom window and the undergrowth in once corner is cosy, dark and secret: Hedgehog House should be OK there, yes? DD
  • applerose
    Options
    I've managed to spend a good few hours in the garden over the Easter weekend. I've got 2 long borders tidied, weeded and cut back. My kerria and quince are looking good and my hebe has grown a lot. The pampas is huge despite cutting it way back last year. I have a very large variety of poppy popping up in a few places. 3 varieties of raspberries are growing well as well as my blueberry and gooseberry. Also got a lot of strawberries in small pots which have survived.

Yes, it does seem you are starting to enjoy gardening DD.

Hope you got your border done Charisse.
    Christine
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Hello;
    I planted a row of leeks two springs ago and they are just becoming harvestable this spring. Is this normal for leeks? They did survive on my neglect with only fertilizing/weeding them a few times :oops: My kind of crop!
  • applerose
    Options
    I don't know Boomer but I planted some last spring and they still haven't matured. I'm thinking of earthing them up, like you do with potatoes, to see if they'll fatten up. I think the last ones I put in, flowered in their second year.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    I finally planted my tomato and cucumber seeds this week :)

I am proud to announce the safe arrival of:
    Curly, Carla and Carlotta Cucumber :D

I just have to keep them safe now from the snails who 'murdered' their Aunt and Uncle last year in ONE night :x

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Congratulations Toni and welcome to Curly, Carla and Carlotta Cucumber. Fingers crossed the snails leave them alone.
    Christine
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    We have had some rain over the last few days and our clay soil is now waterlogged again, it usually goes rock hard some time in April. Grass and weeds still manage to grow. :roll:

We're only just starting to get going on the garden, we must be a little bit behind, despite all the spring flowers coming through at once?
  • applerose
    Options
    I've got a few puddles on my clay soil at the moment. It does get very hard when it dries, doesn't it? If I plant something, I've always dug a bigger hole than necessary, then filled it with compost. Don't think it's made much difference though.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Managed to buy 2 more hollyhocks to add to my collection as we had some time to kill before a school meeting so went to a nearby garden centre. OH was bristling, he really hates me buying plants but I have no idea why! It might be because he has to plant them on my behalf :)

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    Options
    I love hollyhocks but have never been able to grow them as the slugs eat them. Hoping to spend some time in the garden this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be good enough. Hope your OH gets your hollyhocks planted for you.
    Christine
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I bought a few Hollyhock plants this year as well and have grown some myself from seed, Halo Mix. I'm hoping they'll do well for me as I love them but if they end up with a lot of rust they'll have to go.
    I've been able to potter around and have some of the Dahlia and Cosmos planted out now. Some of the Dahlia I started off early from tubers and others I've grown from seed. This must be the busiest time in the garden for me but thankfully it's all coming together. I do however get annoyed with myself as there is so much I need to do but can't because of pain or no energy. Still I'm doing ok. How is everyone else getting on now that we're almost into Summer. :)