Jack Spratt and his wife.....

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 30. Apr 2010, 18:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
I would post this on the grump thread but Rehab has barred grumps about men so....

I cannot stand shopping with the OH. He picks up all the basics brand products, cheapo, reduced,6 for the price of 1 etc whereas I, being refined and high-class, want fresh, free range, still flying chicken, eggs laid that morning.No reduced past their sell-by-date ready meals or sawdust shavings for tea bags for me. Unfortunately the stuff I want costs. But my theory is you only live once and why not enjoy the best.

Every time we go out shopping we end up comparing prices in the aisles, raising eyes at each other and finally resorting to silence ,by which point I chuck what I want in the trolley and he does the same so we usually end up getting both which means different meals for different people.

I suppose we should do our shopping seperately but since meeting Arther I need OH to drive and pack the bags, both of which he is very good at. Trouble is this is never going to resolve itself is it? I need a solution. Anyone?

Regards
Exasperated Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
«1

Comments

  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,558
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am fortunate the The Husband does the shopping for us, too tedious to tell you why, he just does. He uses a small branch of Tescos which 9 times out of 10 hasn't got what's on the list. He too likes the el cheapo versions of meat, pasta, own-brand ketchup and brown sauce (cured me of having those, only Heinz and HP will do) etc BUT the clubcard is in my name! I get all the points and vouchers which I get to spend on what I want. He does sometimes say 'Why don't I see any vouchers?' to which the reply is well, you come back with half the shopping, I have to supplement it during the week, it's my payback.

    I agree with you - buy quality. Yes it costs more, but it tastes better and has to be better for you. One of my pupils from years ago was involved in battery hens. He told me that they selected chemicals to add to the feed for the birds, based on what colour shell and/or yolk the supermarkets they supplied wanted. Ugh. Buy better, eat less and enjoy more. When I first met him The Husband lived on Happy Shopper beefburgers. They started out the size of dustbin lids, ended up smaller than a small saucer. Revolting.

    Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,303
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Have you tried distraction or sedation?, I mean what else are all those pain meds good for apart from helping with OA or RA pain anyway, just a few Tramadols in his coffee and he will be as compliant as the PM after slagging a pleb off for being a bigot!.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,651
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Elizabeth, get Ocado - Waitrose - home delivery.

    They don`t do the cheapo`s, and all the food is top quality.

    Having said that, I use Asda!!!!.........Ange.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 2,056
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The home delivery option sounds like the best one for you two, Elizabeth.

    Me and my girls love shopping and my hubby doesn't, which means we never have a problem in that area, he never comes shopping with us. Sometimes he raises his eyebrows at the size of our food bill (because I've sneakily bought a pair of shoes or a DVD as well) but when he goes shopping, he goes when he's hungry and ends up paying a lot more!

    I agree to pay for quality, you do only live once. My argument is that this is what we all work hard for - to enjoy our lives, we won't be able to take the money with us when we pop our clogs. Having said that, I also like to experiment with cheaper brands sometimes, as some are better than the posh brands.

    Nx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,651
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    rehab44 wrote:
    angel1 wrote:
    Elizabeth, get Ocado - Waitrose - home delivery.

    They don`t do the cheapo`s, and all the food is top quality.

    Having said that, I use Asda!!!!.........Ange.
    Asda.. check out 14


    c043.gif[/quote


    In me beige mac, with me tartan shopping trolley!!
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 136
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    whats wrong with buying cheap,its just as good as the "up market food" if you want organic eggs fair enough and the organic chickens ,I mean £8 for a thing not much bigger than a pullet,no i will still shop at the cheap places,give me tne cheap red sauce anytime especially when there is usually over a pound difference,sorry rehab have slipped into "wimmens expertise area again" cough splutter!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :lol::lol:oh forgot to mention OH calls me a mean old so &so,you cant take it with you, you know!
    told her to throw a cheque in with me!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 8,043
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    holmesi wrote:
    whats wrong with buying cheap,its just as good as the "up market food" if you want organic eggs fair enough and the organic chickens ,I mean £8 for a thing not much bigger than a pullet,no i will still shop at the cheap places,give me tne cheap red sauce anytime especially when there is usually over a pound difference,sorry rehab have slipped into "wimmens expertise area again" cough splutter!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :lol::lol:

    Hiya Ivor :D

    Did you ever get my pm to you date 21 February? :D Hope your absence from the forum implies that you are doing good! Back at work and all that jazz :wink:

    Look after yourself, I agree there are some cheaper makes of sauces out there that we prefer to the named brands.

    Bye for now,

    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

    If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 136
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    elnafinn wrote:
    holmesi wrote:
    whats wrong with buying cheap,its just as good as the "up market food" if you want organic eggs fair enough and the organic chickens ,I mean £8 for a thing not much bigger than a pullet,no i will still shop at the cheap places,give me tne cheap red sauce anytime especially when there is usually over a pound difference,sorry rehab have slipped into "wimmens expertise area again" cough splutter!!!!!!!!!!! :? :? :lol::lol:

    Hiya Ivor :D

    Did you ever get my pm to you date 21 February? :D Hope your absence from the forum implies that you are doing good! Back at work and all that jazz :wink:

    Look after yourself, I agree there are some cheaper makes of sauces out there that we prefer to the named brands.

    Bye for now,

    Luv
    Elna x
    Hi elna great to hear from you again,sorry i missed your pm,just read it today ,good to hear you are coping and getting on ok with tkr,yep im back to the grindstone at the moment ,still get little flares"[ fingers crossed]"started to do hip exercises as have just been told recently that i have a twisted pelvis and thats throwing out the sacros in the lower back so before and after work or exercise i use a backchamp to strengthen them ,so good to hear from auntie!! :):):) again take care ,holmesi
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 136
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    delboy wrote:
    Wimmin's expertise my ar$e.

    I could out shop any woman and get a better price and no cheapo stuff either. Being the cook and menu maker I do most of the shopping split between Asda, Tesco, Aldi Lidl and Sainsbury with the odd visit to Waitrose.

    If I go shopping with SWMBO I need a walkie talkie to keep in contact as she meanders mindlessly from one aisle to the next. The shop takes twice as long too.
    hi delboy know what you mean,OH always asks me what we have run out of ,but whats SWMBO mean ,I,m not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to shortened meanings :lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,558
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    She Who Must Be obeyed.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 136
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    She Who Must Be obeyed.
    thanks dreamdaisy,i was going to reply to your willies posting but thought better of it,i would just end up digging a deeper hole for myself :lol::lol::lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 15,897
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    well i do not like to pay more than i have to will try most things and decide for myself if it worth the money what we save on shopping goes on holidays what more can i ask for
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 2,056
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    delboy wrote:
    Wimmin's expertise my ar$e.

    I could out shop any woman and get a better price and no cheapo stuff either. Being the cook and menu maker I do most of the shopping split between Asda, Tesco, Aldi Lidl and Sainsbury with the odd visit to Waitrose.

    If I go shopping with SWMBO I need a walkie talkie to keep in contact as she meanders mindlessly from one aisle to the next. The shop takes twice as long too.

    Now that there's fighting talk, Del 8) I doubt very much you could beat me!

    Nx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 15,897
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    ninakang wrote:
    delboy wrote:
    Wimmin's expertise my ar$e.

    I could out shop any woman and get a better price and no cheapo stuff either. Being the cook and menu maker I do most of the shopping split between Asda, Tesco, Aldi Lidl and Sainsbury with the odd visit to Waitrose.

    If I go shopping with SWMBO I need a walkie talkie to keep in contact as she meanders mindlessly from one aisle to the next. The shop takes twice as long too.

    Now that there's fighting talk, Del 8) I doubt very much you could beat me!

    Nx

    we take mobie phones lol so always wander where we want saves falling out lol
    val
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 2,056
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The last time we all went shopping together, my hubby got fed up and tired (note it wasn't our children, he was the grumpy one) and decided to head off home. Our two youngest went with him and me and my eldest enjoyed a couple more hours in town because we gave him the shopping we'd bought so far to take with him :D

    Nx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't have time to look at prices anymore I do our shop at tesco online late at night usually just as we are running out of stuff ( :oops: too much to do and not enough hours in the week thanks to toddler & full time job).
    I've tried sainsbury's (always seems to substitute), adsa (not wowed by quality of some stuff), waitrose (comes from miles away, not cheap and not loads of choice) and tesco although not perfect seems to be the best consistently (wish it wasn't as they seem to be taking over the world)
    If I left my husband to do the shopping we'd live off fish and chips and my toddler would have to run round nappyless :shock:
    The few times he's done a weeks worth of shopping we've ended up 4days short and usually only for 2 people not 3!!!!
    He just has an ingrained habit of getting obsessed over buying cheese and the one meal he has in his head which is always scrummy but he then forgets the rest.
    I used to love spending time cooking and choosing nice food but for the majority of the week i'm just too tired to care since I went back to work.
    Chrissie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 8,043
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I do all our shopping very locally.. I use my bike to carry the food etc home. I go about 2 - 3 times a week. Hubby will, in his lunch hour, sometimes walk to a much cheaper store and buy a few things if I specify what , make, quantity, size. :roll: :)

    It works well for us. :D I have always done all the shopping for the past 34 years, when I was working full time and when the kiddies came along, just went out much more often. Hubby hates shopping as you may have gathered.

    If and when I get my free bus pass I may venture on the bus to a much cheaper supermarket every now and again. How exciting, I do know how to live :!: :lol::lol::lol:

    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

    If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    delboy wrote:
    Wimmin's expertise my ar$e.

    I could out shop any woman and get a better price and no cheapo stuff either. Being the cook and menu maker I do most of the shopping split between Asda, Tesco, Aldi Lidl and Sainsbury with the odd visit to Waitrose.

    If I go shopping with SWMBO I need a walkie talkie to keep in contact as she meanders mindlessly from one aisle to the next. The shop takes twice as long too.

    Hi Delboy,
    He is very good at shopping. Just that sometimes I feel constantly judged and feel like I am losing control on all aspects of my life. Good food is my one pleasure left really and I dont want to be denied that.
    I have had to cut down in so many ways especially clothing. I dont do Boden anymore just supermarket stuff really.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mellman01 wrote:
    Have you tried distraction or sedation?, I mean what else are all those pain meds good for apart from helping with OA or RA pain anyway, just a few Tramadols in his coffee and he will be as compliant as the PM after slagging a pleb off for being a bigot!.

    No he doesnt need anymore sedating Mell!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    angel1 wrote:
    Elizabeth, get Ocado - Waitrose - home delivery.

    They don`t do the cheapo`s, and all the food is top quality.

    Having said that, I use Asda!!!!.........Ange.

    Hi Ange,
    He is happy to do the shopping and reckons home delivery is more expensive and you get what you are given. Its just I dont like the food he buys.I dont like red meat but always end up with it.I want decent chicken but he says it is 4 times as expensive. I just dont trust the cheap stuff.
    I only shop once a month with him to stock up on things I know the kids and I like but felt like I had to justify everything I picked up.
    I used to love shopping pre arther days and the joy has now gone.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,103
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Just a few tips....I used to work for a firm that produced allsoughts of food products for many outlets...including M&.Tes..As..and others they were all packed under the shops own lable....but the prices varied quite alot depending on who was selling it, so beware.
    Also alot of the cakes made for Ald.. are made for M&.
    The motto if you shop wisely you can end up paying a lot less for the same product.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    cthornley wrote:
    He just has an ingrained habit of getting obsessed over buying cheese and the one meal he has in his head which is always scrummy but he then forgets the rest.
    Chrissie

    What is it then with Hubby's being obsessed with buying cheese!!
    I have imposed a limit of three cheeses in my fridge after I counted the vast quantity that my husband came home with one weekend. He had gone hunting and gathering and returned with no less than 11 cheeses!! That's right 11!!. :shock:

    Ax
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,558
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You don't have to justify anything. Arthritis changes one's life in so many ways, and surely a good quality diet is important. Lord knows we feel crappy enough without consuming it too. There must be room for compromise, surely. I agree with that comment on supermarket deliveries - I once unpacked my neighbour's and what she had been sent only slightly resembled what she ordered.

    I also miss Boden - I only bought coats and jackets, 'cos all their lovely skirts and dresses were too short and would display my (then) bloated and mis-shapen knees in all their ugly beauty. Have since discovered Poetry. I get their new range catalogue, choose one piece, then save and wait for it to come up in the sale. We need our little treats. I hope you have a pleasant bank holiday weekend. Dreamdaisy.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    You don't have to justify anything. Arthritis changes one's life in so many ways, and surely a good quality diet is important. Lord knows we feel crappy enough without consuming it too. There must be room for compromise, surely. I agree with that comment on supermarket deliveries - I once unpacked my neighbour's and what she had been sent only slightly resembled what she ordered.

    I also miss Boden - I only bought coats and jackets, 'cos all their lovely skirts and dresses were too short and would display my (then) bloated and mis-shapen knees in all their ugly beauty. Have since discovered Poetry. I get their new range catalogue, choose one piece, then save and wait for it to come up in the sale. We need our little treats. I hope you have a pleasant bank holiday weekend. Dreamdaisy.

    Thankyou Dreamdaisy,
    This thread is more about losing the pleasures of life. I no longer go shopping on my own. I dont want to be chastisted over everything I buy.

    Barbara, OH has said the stuff all comes off the same farm/factory and I am being conned a lot.

    I leave him to buy cheapest bread, cereal, bics, crisps etc as he knows his stuff. I was very ill after eating readymeals on two occassions. I really want to avoid doing so again so like to cook from scratch. We grow our own veg but havent got any cows or chickens yet so until then.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,103
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Elizabeth
    You think you have problems...my OH keeps all the prices of basics things in hid head...and goes round looking for the cheapest...spending a fortune in petrol....and he try to organise everything on the conveyor belt....now you got me going...sorry
    :) :roll:
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara