Surely not!

Options
zechariah
zechariah Member Posts: 222
edited 27. May 2010, 17:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
In a previous post I said about foot pain post TKR, I have found the problem.

My foot seems to turn outwards and so I have been trying to correct it, however with my foot facing forward, when I bend my knee it goes inward about 25 degrees and not straight over the foot, if I let the foot face out a bit then the knee bends straight forward! :shock:

It seems as if the lower leg has been put back on crooked!

What do people think?
Have you heard of this before or have you had it?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Zech
    I hope this is not the case, have you had physio what did they say.
    If it was me I would go and ask to see someone, probably a phyiso to put my mind at rest.
    I do hope it improves for you very soon, please let us know how you get on.
    Barbara .
    Love
    Barbara
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I have this with my both legs. I am waiting for a knee realignment to correct it as it is wearing down my knee. My ortho dr told me it comes from the hips where the femur isnt coming out of hip properly and so puts pressure on the knee and wear it down. Aparently a lot of people are born with it but dont have problems until they get arthritis and problems etc.
  • zechariah
    Options
    No, my knee was straight in March until they did the TKR!
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    hhhmm...sorry dont know. do you have a follow up appointment?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    OMG
    Zech!!!!!!
    get and find out and let us know what is the matter :shock:
    Love

Toni xx
  • zechariah
    Options
    Spoke to the joint clinic, could tell from the reaction they realise its not right. Seeing physio tomorrow am and they are getting me to see consultant asap!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I wish you well. What a horrible predicament to be in.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Zech,

did they not notice this in the hospital? I really hope it is ok and due to the muscles/swelling etc and not the actual joint. Do you know who did your actual op? Was it someone experienced?

I really don't know what else to say.

PLEASE keep us posted - straight after your physio appointment.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • zechariah
    Options
    The guy that did it was an experienced knee surgeon, I was meant to have had it done by a Mr White and then 2 days before the op I found out it was a Mr Sarsam doing it (southend hospital, essex).

All the staff said "he is amazing he is the quickest here", maybe that is the problem!

When I look at the knee with the foot facing straight forward, as I bend it the knee points inwards about 25 degrees instead of straight over the foot as it should!

I have tried pushing it to straighten it in case it is lack of physio causing it to do it, but, it is the joint itself, if I lay down and point my toes to the ceiling the knee cap points in wards and the thigh is twisted!

I really dont want more surgery, but if I dont the foot will get worse and I will end up with big problems!
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Zech, I;m so hoping that it is not an issue with the actual joint for you, the mechanics of the leg are complex ...

Please let me know how you get on.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Zec

I am very sorry to read your thread. I do hope that you are able to see the consultant as a matter of urgency as it must be extremely worrying for you. I have heard of other problems, but not this one.
    I would keep on, to see the consultant, so this can be addressed.

Thinking of you,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • zechariah
    Options
    Just seen the physio, he has conformed that the alignment of the TKR is not correct.

Just waiting to hear about appointment to see the consultant that did the TKR!
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Zecharriah

It may be worth getting in touch with your consultant about this problem with your foot. Why don't you give them a call?

What does the physiotherapist say?

Regards
    Sharmaine
    zechariah wrote:
    In a previous post I said about foot pain post TKR, I have found the problem.

My foot seems to turn outwards and so I have been trying to correct it, however with my foot facing forward, when I bend my knee it goes inward about 25 degrees and not straight over the foot, if I let the foot face out a bit then the knee bends straight forward! :shock:

It seems as if the lower leg has been put back on crooked!

What do people think?
    Have you heard of this before or have you had it?
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Zec

I am so sorry to hear this. You had problems very early on post op as I vividly recall. My mother was in a similar position, in that, all the way along she thought she was going to have a particular consultant do her operation whom she trusted implicitly and on the day, he was not available for whatever reason (probably doing a private op :roll: ) and another consultant performed her operation ......... unfortunately. He left the hospital very quickly after this...... Anyway, it is water under the bridge now as your op has been done, like for my mum and I really hope it can be rectified. You really have and are going through it. I truly feel for you very much.

I am surprised that on your earlier physio visits this was not picked up. Are you? The very least the consultant can do now is see you immediately.

I must say, you do appear very cool, calm and collected about all this.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • zechariah
    Options
    I may seem calm but I am not, I am so stressed, I feel that it could very easily bring me to tears!

Phoned the joint clinic and they said I will get an urgent appointment to see the surgeon, but they are waiting for my notes.
    I let them know that this will not wait and I will ring them tewice a day until they sort it!

I have spoken to the Ortho team previously about just chopping the bloody thing off, they said before surgery that if TKR didn't help they would seriously consider it...I will push for it now!
    I am in a wheelchair anyway and so do it!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Aw Zec, :(

I could easily shed the tears for you. Please don't keep the tears back. This is awful. I hope you do call them twice a day but there most definitely should be no need to do that because they should be moving mountains to get you seen. After all, it is a gross error on the part of the hospital staff. Goodness knows why it was not noticed before you left hospital, but if I recall correctly you did leave as early as you could which was only a couple of days. Trouble is when this sort of thing happens, they usually all stick together like glue.

I do hope you get a call with an appointment today or tomorrow.

Sending you over a gentle hug, hope you will accept it :)

Elna x

• sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Zechariah

This is a dreadful thing to happen and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they see you immediately. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

With regards
    Sharmaine
    zechariah wrote:
    I may seem calm but I am not, I am so stressed, I feel that it could very easily bring me to tears!

Phoned the joint clinic and they said I will get an urgent appointment to see the surgeon, but they are waiting for my notes.
    I let them know that this will not wait and I will ring them tewice a day until they sort it!

I have spoken to the Ortho team previously about just chopping the bloody thing off, they said before surgery that if TKR didn't help they would seriously consider it...I will push for it now!
    I am in a wheelchair anyway and so do it!
  • speedalong
    Options
    zechariah wrote:
    Just seen the physio, he has conformed that the alignment of the TKR is not correct.

Just waiting to hear about appointment to see the consultant that did the TKR!

Zech that is SO terrible. Did they not take x rays after the op to check all went ok? I think they should give you an emergency appointment to see consultant. After you have punched him, will you ask for a change of consultant?

Speedalong
  • zechariah
    Options
    I did have post op xray's and reported pain in my foot at my 7 week post op check up, they even reviewed the xray's!

Just printed off a chart to check the amount of misalignment, it is difficult to tell but is about 20 degrees.

it explains the pain and knowing why it hurts so much helps.

Thank you all for your messages of support, please, please do check before your TKR about surgeons experience, I know we don't like to but we should!
  • elnafinn
    edited 25. May 2010, 14:45
    Options
    zechariah wrote:
    please, please do check before your TKR about surgeons experience, I know we don't like to but we should!

I did check. Unfortunately in the case of my mum's second TKR although the surgeon is extremely highly thought of on all accounts and she only wanted him to perform the operation, that still did not help my mum. I believe it was her age that went against her. When I spoke to the surgeon he apologised profusely and he said that he had seriously weighed up the pros and cons on performing the op, at her age. As she would be able to have a good quality of life after and continue all her interests, he decided to go forward with it. The outcome was in the end, not too bad and thank goodness she does not remember too much about it but I do, because I was there 4/5 days out of 7, for over three months, fighting with the medics for her wellbeing while she was in hospital, which included a second operation within a week of the first one and 3 weeks in ICU.

My thoughts are with you, dear Zec. I hope you receive help very soon, this should never have happened to you. If you can get the word negligence in anywhere, please do use it, the medical world do not like that word.

Elna x

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Oh this is terrible news for you, I am so sorry to hear this. Once you've seen the consultant and had it confirmed then put in a formal complaint to the hospital.

I hope you get this sorted very soon, it's just that you have go through the whole tkr again.

Take care

Janie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Zech
    I really hope they see you very soon, you stick to your guns and keep on ringing them.
    Fingers crossed it will be easily rectified, please keep us informed has to what they say.
    Good Luck
    Barbara .
    Love
    Barbara
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Zechariah

I know you mentioned your foot earlier on but for it to be 20 degrees out is just awful especially after post op xrays and check ups. At my recent check up I didn't see my consultant but the Registrar and explained that I had discomfort in my left hip (left knee had TKR) and under my foot. I said that I still had pain and he said this was to be expected. He then said how important it was to continue with the physio (even though the physio had signed me off). It makes me wonder if they (a) look at these xrays (b) listen to their patients (c) or check for signs of problems.

It's not an easy decision to make when going for these surgeries. I have my mobility back and feel that my new knee gets stronger each day but the recovery time is long.

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck again and hope you get seen soon.

sharmaine
    X

zechariah wrote:
    I did have post op xray's and reported pain in my foot at my 7 week post op check up, they even reviewed the xray's!

Just printed off a chart to check the amount of misalignment, it is difficult to tell but is about 20 degrees.

it explains the pain and knowing why it hurts so much helps.

Thank you all for your messages of support, please, please do check before your TKR about surgeons experience, I know we don't like to but we should!
  • zechariah
    Options
    The hospital phoned, apparantly an urgent appointment is about 7th June!

I think I will have to start snarling and foaming at the mouth to get things moving, I explained that I live 5 minutes from the hospital and can be there asap and so let me know and I will be there!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Zec

You could phone up, ask what day he is in next and when he starts and say you will be in that day and you will wait until you he can see you. Take a book and refreshments.

You should not have to do this but ..... if you have the time.......

Luv
    Elna x