Update on hip op recovery (op 12th May)

Options

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    You are doing so well speedalong. Its easy to forget you need to balance walking and resting though so get plenty of rest too.
    Today my left hip (unoperated hip) is hurting and i am hobbling. You never know what it will feel like rom day-to-day. prob overdone it cos children on holiday from school.
    Has S got next week off too? My younger son has 2 weeks off but i have 2 days respite set up as a break. The other 2 are at school.

Elizabeth
    Hi Elizabeth, sorry your un operated hip is playing up - bound to be the additional activity due to entertaining and caring for the children in the hols. S was off last week and this week, he has inset Monday and so goes back Tuesday. That was good timing with the respite.

The last couple of days S has had trouble falling asleep due to not enough exercise and then we have both nodded off upstairs after dinner for too long ... vicious circle. Today we have neither napped so hopefully will sleep better. He is tired now and grumpy so the timing of bedtime will be crucial!! I think the best combination is a timed nap/rest upstairs which we shall try tomorrow. My hip is a bit more uncomfy this evening due to no lie down today.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Thanks Jk.

Would you say you are now able to do all you want to do?

Can you remember at how many months your leg would let you walk as far as you wanted it to<

I had my other hip done at 30 ... I suffered some nerve damage and despite all my best efforts (physio, hdyro, aquagym, swimming, tai chi and yoga ...) never managed to get the muscles back to their former glory. It is pain free though and fine for walking etc My latest op - other leg - is more promising already!!!

Speedalong

Hi Speedalong, Glad your recovery is going well, Try and have a nap in the afternoon, it helped me loads, I know easier said than done :wink: Well, post op 8weeks, I went to Stratford, and walked without crutches all over, took a taxi onto town, as I didnt know how i would be walking distances, but it proved no problem. As for what i can do now, I couldnt hardly do anything pre op, my hip was that bad, but even now 10 months on, the muscle strength and mobility still improves and surprises me at times. I feel fitter and Im more active than Ive been for at least 10 years, no understatement. I did keep precautions up for longer ie going upstairs and getting in and out of the bath, but can manage most things now no probs. Keep up the good work, jk :wink:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hey JK lovely to see you :D Cris x

Just leaving you a ((((( ))))) Speedy x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thank you Iris and DD, for your words of encouragement. Feeling on top of the world at the moment - having less pain is an amazing feeling .... I was in so much pain for so long ... and everyone on this forum knows how wearing constant pain can be.

My pace of walking is still very SLOW (I notice this when with able bodied friends when we go out) - but my gait so much better.

Yesterday for the first time, whilst lying on the bed doing physio - I told my leg to move out to the side AND IT DID IT!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Jk for that. All very encouraging.

Talking of baths/showers - a friend came over with some strawberries and together we have devised a way for me to get in and out of the bath to stand under the shower without breaking the hip restrictions!!! It involves a single step stool, her Mum's walking frame (she has passed away) and the perching stool. Which we are going to try on Monday evening whilst she is here to listen out just in case!! What fun. We are a creative bunch us lot, aren't we!!

Speedalong
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    sounds as if you are doing really well Speedy so pleased for you xxxx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thank you Berty, I feel like I'm doing well too. Long way to go, but having fun along the way!!

Has your swelling and pain improved since the physio session?

Speedalong
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Speedy its settled a bit but seems more numb on the out side to what it did , :?
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi speedy!
    you sound so positive :mrgreen: I'm really pleased that you are already noticing such a difference in pain level...that's just so great to hear. :D

love and (((hugs))) to you speedy, bertyboy, marion, elna, sharmaine.. and all other convalescing 'hippies' and 'knee op' peeps.

Iris x :wink:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    You are doing so well and sound so happy....So pleased for you

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Berty, glad the swelling is improving. The degree of numbness/feeling/sensation or lack of is variable on my hip/thigh at the moment too. Guess there is a lot of internal repair work going on inside that we can't see.

Hi Iris - I do feel very positive. All that pain and struggling and coping was wearing me down without me realising as it had become the "norm." Now instead of going downhill I'm improving and going uphill!!! And you will be joining us convalescing chaps very, very soon.

Hi Hileena - I am feeling happy. Many thanks to you for posting about your own op - it really helped me in the lead up to mine.

Speedalong
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Thanks Jk for that. All very encouraging.

Talking of baths/showers - a friend came over with some strawberries and together we have devised a way for me to get in and out of the bath to stand under the shower without breaking the hip restrictions!!! It involves a single step stool, her Mum's walking frame (she has passed away) and the perching stool. Which we are going to try on Monday evening whilst she is here to listen out just in case!! What fun. We are a creative bunch us lot, aren't we!!

Speedalong
    hi I remember this difficulty well. luckily we have a double step for our caravan so managed to use one crutch and steps and had single step for use in the bath to use the over bath shower. OH insisted on helping/supervising but o the joy of feeling clean all over. Took me ages though to sit in the bath for fear of breaking the rules. We went on a week holiday in the caravan at 4 weeks post op and used the disabled facilities on the caravan club sites which was great as it wads walk in shower. X Elaine
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

Glad to read that you are feeling so positive/upbeat .. it does make such a difference to know that the future is going to be better than the past!!

I will be interested to know how your shower plan goes on Monday. I too have a shower over the bath and have been managing to have a kind of shower by using a kind of temporary bath tray on the floor at the side of the bath (one of those shallow under the bed plastic storage boxes) and have been standing in it (on a bath mat) and using the shower head. It does need someone else to emply the box afterwards - using a pan and then tipping the remainder into the bath afterwards!

My llower leg and ankle have been very swollen (?lack of activity) so I have increased my walking and the last couple of days have managed to walk to our little 'high street' and go to the bank and the chemist! It takes me about 30-40 minutes but I have been absolutely fine afterards.. I'm really pleased.

I'm going to put some pillows under the mattress tonight (as you are doing) to try and get the swelling down..

Best wishes

Marion
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    You will let us know how the shower goes wont you...wish I was there with a camera LOL LOL
    Hi Marion.....What about the pillows under the mattress...have you tried that yet and did it work?

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Elaine - bet the disabled shower was one of the best bits of your caravan holiday!! Can you remember how many weeks/months post op you sat in the bath ... I almost miss baths as much as driving and sleeping on my side ....

SPeedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, good to hear from you.
    it does make such a difference to know that the future is going to be better than the past!!
    Doesn't it?!
    I will be interested to know how your shower plan goes on Monday. I too have a shower over the bath and have been managing to have a kind of shower by using a kind of temporary bath tray on the floor at the side of the bath (one of those shallow under the bed plastic storage boxes) and have been standing in it (on a bath mat) and using the shower head. It does need someone else to emply the box afterwards - using a pan and then tipping the remainder into the bath afterwards!
    Very ingenious ... I had resigned myself to washing only ... til my friend came round and suggested we devise a plan. Baths are my preference!! Long, long baths with a good book and a cup of coffee/glass of wine depending on the hour!!! Don't manage them that often due to life committments (S!)
    My llower leg and ankle have been very swollen (?lack of activity)
    Could be lack of activity - though my swelling tends to be caused by not enough time elevating ...
    so I have increased my walking and the last couple of days have managed to walk to our little 'high street' and go to the bank and the chemist! It takes me about 30-40 minutes but I have been absolutely fine afterards.. I'm really pleased.
    Now that is very impressive!! I tend to practise walking when S and I are out with friends - as I feel I need to concentrate especially if on uneven ground and this is not easy if I'm also watching S. He goes back to school on Tues and then my serious distance training will begin!!

Interestingly my attempts at physio exercises are really improving - even without consistent practise ... I put this down to daily activities ...

What is your joint made of? Mine is metal on metal. Today when swinging my leg back and forth - I could tell it was metal on metal ... it kind of felt like it was clonking - not really bothered as long as it works ... but wondered if you had noticed this too?
    I'm going to put some pillows under the mattress tonight (as you are doing) to try and get the swelling down..
    Worked for me - just a row of single height pillows is all I have.

Keep posting - we are in this together!!!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    PS - Marion - it will be interesting to see if my lower legs swell more when not compressed and squeezed by the TED stockings ... can't wait to give them up - sleeping in them is VILE!!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena - the shower system had better work!!! I will die if I have to summon my friend for help whilst naked!! :oops: :roll:

Speedy
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi,I remember my first bath was at around 16 weeks post op. football season started and I needed an escape. So bath, wine and book for 45 mins bliss til half time. Didn't need help to get out but OH thought he should supervise. Your right caravan shower was the best part of hol but least said about toilet adaptations in the van the better! My new hip is ceramic on ceramic uncemented. It used to clunk at first but doesn't now so think muscles etc are now back in strength. X elaine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello speedalong, I've just caught up with your thread. It is all sounding so good! I am vey happy for you - life without pain. Cor. Nirvana.

I hope S is more settled now, do you think it's a belated response to your being away? Hard to tell, I suppose. Keep doing your exercises, keep resting, keep up the positive attitude for as long as you can, keep enjoying it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

Just a quick note to say that I admire your grit and that you are an inspiration.

Keep smiling :lol:
    Carol x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    tkachev wrote:
    You are doing so well speedalong. Its easy to forget you need to balance walking and resting though so get plenty of rest too.
    Today my left hip (unoperated hip) is hurting and i am hobbling. You never know what it will feel like rom day-to-day. prob overdone it cos children on holiday from school.
    Has S got next week off too? My younger son has 2 weeks off but i have 2 days respite set up as a break. The other 2 are at school.

Elizabeth
    Hi Elizabeth, sorry your un operated hip is playing up - bound to be the additional activity due to entertaining and caring for the children in the hols. S was off last week and this week, he has inset Monday and so goes back Tuesday. That was good timing with the respite.

The last couple of days S has had trouble falling asleep due to not enough exercise and then we have both nodded off upstairs after dinner for too long ... vicious circle. Today we have neither napped so hopefully will sleep better. He is tired now and grumpy so the timing of bedtime will be crucial!! I think the best combination is a timed nap/rest upstairs which we shall try tomorrow. My hip is a bit more uncomfy this evening due to no lie down today.

Speedalong

My son has had trouble sleeping too but still waking up 5 in morning! I wonder if it is the hot weather unsettling them?
    I am lucky that the OH has taken him to Thorpe Park today to tire him out and with 2 days respite this week is looking much better.Lucy back to school today and still suffering. I havent troubled you about her as you have to recover from your op but GPs well involved now thankfully!

Hope you can rest for the rest of the week. Each day is a little step nearer to a better life.
    And please be careful with that bath/shower!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    edited 7. Jun 2010, 08:06
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    Hi,I remember my first bath was at around 16 weeks post op. football season started and I needed an escape. So bath, wine and book for 45 mins bliss til half time.
    Sounds fab .... can't wait until that's me ...
    Didn't need help to get out but OH thought he should supervise.
    Hence getting out at half time ...!!!!
    Your right caravan shower was the best part of hol but least said about toilet adaptations in the van the better!
    :lol::lol:
    My new hip is ceramic on ceramic uncemented. It used to clunk at first but doesn't now so think muscles etc are now back in strength.
    Interesting. I don't remember this last time but there again I was not allowed or able to attempt what I'm doing this time round. Since my hip was also semi dislocated as well as worn out - the muscles aren't used to the hip being back in the socket either.

Sounds like you have made great progress with yours.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello speedalong, I've just caught up with your thread. It is all sounding so good! I am vey happy for you - life without pain. Cor. Nirvana.

I hope S is more settled now, do you think it's a belated response to your being away? Hard to tell, I suppose. Keep doing your exercises, keep resting, keep up the positive attitude for as long as you can, keep enjoying it! DD

Hi DD, thank you for your lovely message.

I appreciate every minute of being so pain free ... I am still taking some painkillers but have lost the chronic constant always there pain and the agony after a days work (but there again I'm not working at the mo!!! :lol::lol::lol: ) At some point in the future my left THR will need revising and also my knees have the beginnings of OA and one has a cyst ... so I shall enjoy every moment of this reprieve and in terms of the OA "live in the moment!!"

S is more settled, he gets a bored on days we dont have visitors and all we can do is go out with me on the scooter, however I'm sure he is better because one he is currently healthy and two I'm happier and not in pain - he is very sensitive to facial expressions etc and probably picked up on my winces and grimaces before the op. Also he is having lots of undivided attention as I am spending even more time with him ... as I cannot do major chores etc at present and don't have school work to do each evening!!

How's your good self?

Speedy
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Options
    So good to hear Speedalong, and the other post -op posters are all doing so well..long may it last...x