Options
1235»

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena,

Sounds like you're enjoying life, but have a juggling act on your hands. Is it your hip-awaiting the op that gets stiff or your operated one?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Enjoy your day speedalong.
    Hi Elizabeth, I had a fab text off my friend this morning. She is a single Mum too of two boys. The elder has severe dyspraxia and the younger one is rather like Ben on Outnumbered. She works part time.
    "Back to school. And relax! Feet up, coffee on, book out"
    Good advice!! This is all very novel. Usually when S is at school so am I, except Mondays and then I'm trying to cram in everything I can't do when he is in tow ...
    Son had a great time and went on everything. He is very brave!
    Great he had a good time.
    I am going to the shops now....a late birthday cake for my other son....I just couldnt get things sorted in time. He is not complaining bless him but i do feel so guilty.
    Buy him a big one and he'll consider it worth the wait.

Is your other son at respite now today and tomorrow? Make sure you wangle a bit of that elusive "me time" - you have definitely earned it and are worth it.

Take care,
    Speedy

Hi Speedy,
    Yes son is on 2nd day of respite. My me time has been a huge pile of ironing! But I prefer to get things done when the children are out of the way so I can look after them when home from school.
    Managed to buy son a choccy birthday cake and he got another pressie through the post so yesterday was nice for him.
    I forgot to get one sorted before the holidays started. I dont get out if they are all home!Just like you it is impossible with them in tow.
    I have hydro today, looking forward to it. When do you have to return to work? I know its still early days for you but I am sure they will push for your return.
    Take care and get some rest (but i know its difficult).
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Its the un-operated hip that gets really sore ...the operated one gets sore but that I think is more muscle....down the front of my leg.
    Then of course I have OA in my lower spine so my back gets sore ...lower....and from one hip to the other mostly

Love
    Hileena
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

Great to hear you enjoyed your shower.. Oh how we appreciate the small things in life when we are deprived of them!!

My pulled muscle in my 'good thigh' is much improved today - for a few days though it was much worse then my operated leg and in the middle of ?Sunday night I wasn't sure whether to go to A & E thinking I might have a DVT (although not typical symptoms)..

Hi Hileena

I know what you mean - my 'old good hip/leg' has been more trouble than my 'new hip' this week!

Maron
  • tkachev
    Options
    Me too. My unoperated hip is now playing up. The other one is in fine form!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    Options
    What are we all like LOL There's always something LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth.
    My me time has been a huge pile of ironing! But I prefer to get things done when the children are out of the way so I can look after them when home from school.
    I know that feeling, it is much quicker to get things done when you are on your own ...
    Managed to buy son a choccy birthday cake and he got another pressie through the post so yesterday was nice for him.
    That's good. S loves choccy cake (so do I!) and parcels through the post are always exciting.
    I have hydro today, looking forward to it
    Enjoy.
    When do you have to return to work? I know its still early days for you but I am sure they will push for your return.
    Docs signed me off for 6 months!!! If I want to go back earlier he will write me a well note. I can have 20 working weeks off on full pay between April to April, and as I rarely have time off - I have virtually all those weeks at my disposal. Obviously I need to allow for catching D & V etc between my return and April .. so will not quite take the full 20 weeks. Hopefully will be ready to go back in time. I went back last time (to mainstream) on crutches - but I will struggle to follow restrictions in special ed and will need to be able to lift, run, struggle, move furniture, position children, push wheelchairs, deliver education and therapy, sit on little chairs, get up and down off the floor etc etc ...
    Take care and get some rest (but i know its difficult).
    I'll do my best. You too!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Speedy
    Its the un-operated hip that gets really sore ...the operated one gets sore but that I think is more muscle....down the front of my leg.
    Then of course I have OA in my lower spine so my back gets sore ...lower....and from one hip to the other mostly

Love
    Hileena

Hi Hileena, reading this it could be that now your operated leg is feeling better, the other aches are more noticeable. I don't have OA in my back, but have probs with both hips and I get lower back pain .. so the back pain might partly be due to the hips and not all down to the OA - that doesn't help with the pain, but it might mean the OA in your back is not progressing too fast ...

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    Great to hear you enjoyed your shower.. Oh how we appreciate the small things in life when we are deprived of them!!
    How true!!
    My pulled muscle in my 'good thigh' is much improved today - for a few days though it was much worse then my operated leg and in the middle of ?Sunday night I wasn't sure whether to go to A & E thinking I might have a DVT (although not typical symptoms)..
    I'm glad your pulled muscle is improving, that is a relief. I know what you mean about worrying about new aches and pains and worrying that they might be something sinister ...

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    You are probably right......it is the other hip being a bit better so the bad one is more noticeable....still jiggling tablets around.....still not sleeping a full night yet....waken up 2 or 3 times with pain.....got a doc appt at 5pm tomorrow to discuss pain relief

Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    Options
    i am so glad that you have lots of fully paid time to recover. That is such good news. Most peeps i know get 3 months but are getting lots of hint from work to return well before that date.

Saw my Rheummy today. It was an hour and 15 mins late wait! The lady next to me had the same dr and time as me so heavily overbooked. Lucy wasnt well so didnt go to school and she was totally stressed waiting for me. My regular texts failed to reach the OH as he sat in the car(with Lucy and Dan who was as good as gold) because he left his phone at home.
    :roll:
    All the best Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    i am so glad that you have lots of fully paid time to recover. That is such good news. Most peeps i know get 3 months but are getting lots of hint from work to return well before that date.

Saw my Rheummy today. It was an hour and 15 mins late wait! The lady next to me had the same dr and time as me so heavily overbooked. Lucy wasnt well so didnt go to school and she was totally stressed waiting for me. My regular texts failed to reach the OH as he sat in the car(with Lucy and Dan who was as good as gold) because he left his phone at home.
    :roll:
    All the best Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth - my boss is obsessed with health and safety!! He also finds me a threat ... I'm a bit of a thorn in his side ... (because I'm very good at my job and he finds this intimidating/threatening!!)

Hospital experience sounds a typical nightmare. Always amazes me how many people have the same time at my clinc (ortho) too!! Hope Lucy feels better soon, usual problem? Dan did well, didn't he - S would have found it a nightmare ...

Speedy
  • tkachev
    Options
    Its one of the things that Daniel copes with quite well surprisingly. Probably cos he has a lot of practice!But he is not patient waiting for the laptop this morning- he is humming Rule Brittania but also asking when I am going to finish. Cant even pop over to chit chat today,

Regards and have a lovely day....
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi, we are lucky and have a laptop each ...so that saves us this dilemma ...

If we have waiting to do - then I go well prepared - headphones for MP3 on his communication aid, a drink and snack, pens and paper etc etc ... He is usually ok as long as venue not too crowded etc ... and long as he isn't ill!!!

He is much better than he used to be ...

Speedy
  • tkachev
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, we are lucky and have a laptop each ...so that saves us this dilemma ...

If we have waiting to do - then I go well prepared - headphones for MP3 on his communication aid, a drink and snack, pens and paper etc etc ... He is usually ok as long as venue not too crowded etc ... and long as he isn't ill!!!

He is much better than he used to be ...

Speedy

Clever girl.We have 4 laptops but this is his special birthday/christmas one that Vonski helped me choose.The others all have problems associated with them. One got thrown out of the window by Daniel and Jack has anger issues and throws them about when he loses. They dont last long in my house.

Do you think your boss will try to keep you away since you are such a thorn in his side?
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Clever girl.We have 4 laptops but this is his special birthday/christmas one that Vonski helped me choose.
    Ahh .... now I understand.
    The others all have problems associated with them. One got thrown out of the window by Daniel
    I've sometimes considered doing that with the computer in my classroom ... it is oh so s l o w ...
    and Jack has anger issues and throws them about when he loses. They dont last long in my house.
    Blimey. Do you make him wait awhile before replacing it ...
    Do you think your boss will try to keep you away since you are such a thorn in his side?
    Well since he has such staffing issues, I get on well with the other staff teachers and TA's (and did with the old management, just not this new bunch of incompetents!!) the parents think I'm great, the governors recognise my commitment and I'm very experienced ... I don't think he could make me stay away permanently ....
    As some one said (was it Arnie?) I'll be back!!

I hate the way school is now run ...and management's lack of understanding of the children and not putting them first ... but I love the kids they ARE GREAT!!

Speedy
    Elizabeth
  • tkachev
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Clever girl.We have 4 laptops but this is his special birthday/christmas one that Vonski helped me choose.
    Ahh .... now I understand.
    The others all have problems associated with them. One got thrown out of the window by Daniel
    I've sometimes considered doing that with the computer in my classroom ... it is oh so s l o w ...
    and Jack has anger issues and throws them about when he loses. They dont last long in my house.
    Blimey. Do you make him wait awhile before replacing it ...
    Well since he has such staffing issues, I get on well with the other staff teachers and TA's (and did with the old management, just not this new bunch of incompetents!!) the parents think I'm great, the governors recognise my commitment and I'm very experienced ... I don't think he could make me stay away permanently ....
    As some one said (was it Arnie?) I'll be back!!

I hate the way school is now run ...and management's lack of understanding of the children and not putting them first ... but I love the kids they ARE GREAT!!

Speedy
    Elizabeth

I make them pay for broken goods, from birthday/christmas/pocket money. So Jack had to replace his broken wii controller and 2 playstations. He hasnt destroyed a laptop yet. They have all survived his actions so far.
    Shame about the school. Sons school is lovely and takes in all the discarded, unwanted children like my son (too difficult to control) but wonderful headteacher is due to retire within a few years.Perhaps you will apply to take his place Speedy?

Best wishes
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    I make them pay for broken goods, from birthday/christmas/pocket money. So Jack had to replace his broken wii controller and 2 playstations. He hasnt destroyed a laptop yet. They have all survived his actions so far.
    Good for you, only way they will learn to control impulses is through consequences. Using his own money wouldn't bother S .. so I just delay us replacing things that get broken - so he is inconvenienced and then I take him with me to buy replacement as he isn't keen on shopping these days ... He only ever breaks something once ... I have to say he has always been very careful and this getting very cross business is new. I think it is more a teen thing than an ASD thing maybe ...???
    Shame about the school. Sons school is lovely and takes in all the discarded, unwanted children like my son (too difficult to control) but wonderful headteacher is due to retire within a few years.Perhaps you will apply to take his place Speedy?
    hee hee!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Speedy
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi, so glad to hear you are doing well: here's to a very Speedy recovery!!! :D Take care, Josie x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Josie,

:D:D:D

Speedy