Ear defenders!!! or Grumpy old woman thread (but not old!!)

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 17. Jun 2010, 10:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Have just gone online and succumbed to buying some construction ear defenders!!! With stunning timing for my sick leave (NOT!) they are demolishing on my estate and a lot of it is at the bottom of my short Grove - the noise is constant .... and driving me mad. The actual knocking of buildings down isn't too bad it is the scraping and scooping up of all the rubble ....

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They will be useful if you are watching the world cup
    Can you get some for all of us please.
    Joy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hell is other people's noise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    dont go outside in them...the foreman might get you doing some construction (destruction in your case) work. :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Oooh Speedy!!

Poor you!

I'm with daisyD

noise annoys :(

Hope they hurry up

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi what a cheek making a noise . am with you it can really get to you when it goes on and on val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

Oh demolition is so noisy! The Drills, Dumper trucks, JCB and the rubble movement is enough to drive you up the wall......

Hope its hot too hot to have the windows shut and well they should soon be finished..... then I guess you have the construction sounds to come? It can't last for too long though..... A (((( )))) and sorry I am shouting :wink: Cris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Use the opportunity to bury some unwanted neighbours. 8)

NOW THERE IS A THOUGHT - the many residents and hangers on at number 8!!!

Oohh, I shall enjoy planning that!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Oh Joy ... that made me laugh too. I'm thankful we don't have to watch it in our house! It is a din isn't it?!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hell is other people's noise. DD
    Oh SO TRUE!!

I hate other people's noise ... the neighbours - who I now have dastardly plans for (thanks Delboy!) are all shouting at each other ... the demolition team are doing their worst ... at least if any of the neighbours then started on the loud music (my pet hate!!) I probably wouldn't be able to hear it over the current noise level. Just need my new neighbour the other side to carry on fitting his new kitchen ...

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Oneday - I thought I might go and ask them if they would lend me some – till the postman brings mine!! What do you think?!

Toni – noise does annoy – especially me!! :x :x

Val – it is going on and on 6 days a week minimum, from 8 a.m. until 5 or 6 p.m. … :(:(:(

Babycham – you are a star thank you … :):)

Cris – no chance of being finished soon …there is a big tower block to come down at the back of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh hell …Hope they don’t do it in the school hols when Surj is here … Lots of other buildings to knock down on estate too – hopefully they’ll go and do a few at the other end of the estate soon – I would prefer a distant rumble … :roll: :roll:

Speedy
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    For those who have never indulged, it's called working. What real men do for a living b065.gif

instead of being paid thousands of pounds just to shuffle bits of paper or send each other dreary emails. k010.gif

Just thought you should know what it is they are doing. As for ear defenders, that's what your fingers are for. k050.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    Options
    Well, I guess that when its hot and they take off their shirts and show off their bronzed muscles, you don't pass any 'non PC' comments?

Oh well, here I go again. n010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Very droll, livinglegend! DD
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Oh, can i borrow them when your finished with them?
    Weve got a 2 story block coming down at the back of our garden very soon, then all the rebuilding of houses & apartments.
    If they build on the back of our garden then were off,I cant stand houses over looking the garden. Only got 1 neighbour that can see in ATM & thats enough for us.
    I hope its all finished soon & peace returns (well im after you ear defenders so i would say that wouldnt i :wink::lol:)
    debs
  • speedalong
    Options
    For those who have never indulged, it's called working. What real men do for a living b065.gif

instead of being paid thousands of pounds just to shuffle bits of paper or send each other dreary emails. k010.gif

Just thought you should know what it is they are doing. As for ear defenders, that's what your fingers are for. k050.gif

Joseph 8)

Thanks for reminding me Joseph!! But you know how it is, the racket is never so bad for those making it AND those making it aren't using their fingers in their ears - THEY have ear defenders ... so, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Well, I guess that when its hot and they take off their shirts and show off their bronzed muscles, you don't pass any 'non PC' comments?

Oh well, here I go again. n010.gif

Joseph 8)

Hee - I'll let you know - if that changes my perspective!!

Here's hoping!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Ahh Lynn - happy days!!

No probs Debs.

Speedy
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    They put new storm drains in where \i live as it was flooding the health centre when it rained.

The noise went on for 2 years. Outside were 3 big diesle machines Not sure what they were used for but every day we had blac sooty looking stuff on the window sills It was awful.

Trish xx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    it is going on and on 6 days a week minimum, from 8 a.m. until 5 or 6 p.m. … :(:(:(
    Speedy

who is doing the demolition / construction....if it is in any way attached to the local authority or public body (and some private schemes) it should be signed up to the considerate constructors (CC) scheme details of which should be posted on the site hoarding (google CC) and there is a complaints scheme they should only be working regular working hours 5 days a week - details of what you should expect and were to complain are on the website and should be displayed on the site

if it is for new development any planning permission will more than likely have a restriction on the noise and working hours - complain to the planning department and they will forced them to limit their hours even if its the 'council' doing the work they are subject to these restrictions

hope that helps a bit and gives the ear defenders a bit of a break
    Chrissie

it might not mean much but it might give you some relief as it can be quite relentless
  • speedalong
    Options
    Great advice - thanks Chrissie!! Will take a peak ... would be great if they didn't demolish at weekends ... that would be a relief. Will also start checking what time they start each day ...

Speedy

Hope ear defenders come soon - I want to wear them in the garden!! Especially now we have lovely sunshine too.
  • livinglegend
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Ah Joseph ... Toch e ... Toch e xxxBabycham :):):)

Touché, my dear Babycham.

Joseph 8)

PS. for é hold down Ctrl + Alt then press e. (I had to look up the combination!)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    As always, livinglegend, just when I need you! (I will return and edit an earlier post, if I can find it!) DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Ah Joseph ... Toch e ... Toch e xxxBabycham :):):)

Touché, my dear Babycham.

Joseph 8)

PS. for é hold down Ctrl + Alt then press e. (I had to look up the combination!)

Hey - you learn something new everyday!!

éééééééééééé - just having a go!!

Do you know how to get a squiggle under the s - turns the "s" sound into the "sh" sound ... am typing my school reports - would love to spell Pusa's name properly?!!

Speedy
  • livinglegend
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Do you know how to get a squiggle under the s - turns the "s" sound into the "sh" sound ... am typing my school reports - would love to spell Pusa's name properly?
    Speedy
    As in Puşa?

It's not available as a direct keypress, but how to access the 'Character Map' in XP, etc. is below.

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map to open the Windows Character Map.

In the Font pulldown of the Windows Character Map, select the font you want to use. If in doubt just use Arial, its not important, as you can adjust things later.

In the grid, scroll down and click the accented letter that you want which will appear bigger. Click on the Select button and the letter will then appear in the 'Characters to copy' box.

Then press Copy. Go to where you want to insert it in your report and Paste. Highlight and adjust the font and size of the word as necessary.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, the bearded livinglegend, it looks as tho you were having a rough night. I hope things have eased now. Egalité, fraternité and I cannot remember the third, so I'll go for um . um. .. . oh well, I guess touché will do! DD

Delboy: your post mystifies me. DD