please can anyone tell me the 3 stages of arther

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
edited 20. Jun 2010, 07:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone i've looked in the leaflets and i cannot find it.
the doc has said you have the start of arther in my foot and thats all they say or its your condition
and thats it.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan,

This is from long ago.....

1st stage/early on set : Its just starting to become effected. The burns are further apart but do hurt just the same. The cartilage (I think I am remembering this right) is being effected but isn't showing any damage as such, tends to be more narrowing.

2nd Stage : Its got the cartilage. the burns are still z and when but hurt more and its starting to effect the joints movement.

3rd Stage : (for me was relentless. Totally static pain wise,) its done real damage to the joint, it burns all the time and the mobility is badly effected. It can start to ossified and extra bone growth is also there.

Then there is end stage..... That's when its done its worst! The joint has had it and often fused by the extra bone but it hurts a bit less.....

Sorry Joan this is from a long time ago.... I hope I have got it right. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Joan

I don't know the MEDICAL stages however my own EMOTIONAL 3 stages were ..... Panic, Worry then Fighting Spirit to kick it into touch! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist barging onto your thread about the 3 stages!

Hope you are having a good day today.

Carol :lol:
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Cris.
    thank you very much its very interesting.
    how are you i hope your pain is under control
    as much as it can be.
    how is rowan.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Carol.
    its nice to meet you i think you have to boss arther and do as best as you can as well as being happy. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    When is the achey worn out feeling because thats what i have.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Are your feet still painful, what has your gp given you for the pain, for some strange reason my pain comes and goes, maybe that is what they call stage one :roll:
    I hope it improves for you very soon
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Barbara.
    i have transvasin cream and i take 3 diclofenic
    and 3 anitriptine for the pain in my hips and legs.
    barbara
    how are you i hope you are getting on ok.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It varies widely from one person to another and if my memory serves me right, you have other complications too, don't you dachshund? I did not know that there were three stages - skezier's reply makes sense. Do you have OA? Sorry to be so dim, it's tough trying to remember who has what! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    Options
    So.... if damage shows on an x-ray does that mean that it is beyond stage 1?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    From skezier's description I would think stage 3. What jackpot do you win?! DD
  • rosebud
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    From skezier's description I would think stage 3. What jackpot do you win?! DD

Mmm.... The damage to my wrist shows up in x-ray but everyone refers to it as mild (these people obviously do not have my wrist!)

The physio even said that if you x-rayed everyone over the age of 25 you would be able to find some damage!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well yes, that would make sense because the human frame is not designed to last forever. I know that the skeleton does continually renew itself but I suppose with OA it's a particular type of damage that would be apparent, or perhaps more than one would expect. DD
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi DD
    Thank you for replying i have oa.
    how are you
    its would be nice to understand it all.
    and very good of cris to remember it all.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello dachshund, so OA is your foe then. That will show as joint damage when it reaches the third stage, (I think) as it does affect the bones quite visibly. Have you had Xrays done yet or is that treat to come? Skezier knows a lot as she has been fighting for years. I myself have had better times but thank you for asking. DD
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi DD.
    Yes and mri that said i have arther in spine i have thr and tkr and know my foot hurts and i can not put any weight on it when i've sat for two long even if i move it.
    its the ache in my hips and legs.
    i'm sorry to go on.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know what you mean about foot pain - I'm walking on razor blades today! You've had some joints replaced - does that mean less/no pain in them? Fortunately I have PA (?!) so that means I should escape hip and spine pain 'cos according to a map in a booklet PA doesn't affect those areas. Do you have a mobility scooter for outdoor stuff? I am looking forward to getting one, it will help I am sure. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Joan you are not going on, we never hear you say how you are...this is what we are all here for to support one another.....I think you should go back to your gp and see if there is anything he can give you to ease the pain.....at the minute I am taking solpudol for oa of hips and back, but my foot felt so different...I was told to take tramadol but it made me sick...it is a minefield of trying different meds.
    also take amitryptaline at night these do help.
    I do hope you can get some relief very soon,let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Hiya dachshund,

heres a link to some info that might help. I have RA and Im not sure how similar it is to OA, but I hope this helps.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5379022_stages-osteoarthritis.html
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I feel so envious of people who can do the blue stuff! I must get me on a course. DD
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi DD
    Yes i have a mobility scoota 12 years i go for a walk with my dog to the fields when i get there i give the scoota to my friend so i can walk for about 10 mins and then go onthe scoota a bit and then home.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi Abbie.
    that was interesting you are clever to be able
    to work it out.
    thank you joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • rosebud
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I feel so envious of people who can do the blue stuff! I must get me on a course. DD

it's really easy - just put your cursor over the address bar, right click your mouse button, choose copy then just paste it into your post!

Hope that helps, i'm probably not very good at explaining!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I understand the theory, it's the reality. I can only operate one thing at a time. If I want to look at something whilst on here, I log out, shut down, oh it's a performance! I don't understand how one can end up with multiple windows running at the same time. I hope livinglegend doesn't read this - he'll despair! My last computer ran on windows 3.5. This is a whole, new ball game. But I have bought a book. Thank you for the hint tho! DD
  • dachshund
    Options
    Hi DD
    The scoota will change your life.
    if you have a car you can get a scoota that will fold up to go in a car boot.
    we always put our scootas on charge all night
    then it is fully charged for the next day
    new batteries need to be charged for 24 hours
    to get them working properly.
    enjoy it and have fun.
    are you getting a 4 or 3 wheeled.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Not getting one yet, dachshund, but it is on the agenda. I can just about manage to walk short distances, three minutes then a nice sit down is in order! Our current house does not have a garage or any easy internal access in which to store the thing, so I will wait until we move to more suitable premises. I shall bear your advice in mind: it's very sensible and thank you for your help. DD