THR recovery & kneeling again???

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 23. Jun 2010, 19:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, for my next question ...

Hip people, when were you allowed/could you/did you kneel again after a THR??

Last time it took me a very long time (but that was not a typical THR, and still isn't a typical hip recovery,) though I did get there in the end.

Have just tried it, not broken any hip restrictions - honest - but only stayed on it for a second and stood up again - and the muscles are now complaining a little.... So many everyday tasks require kneeling and I do a lot of kneeling in my job too.

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Hope you have had a nice day.. I have checked my hospital leaflet and it says no kneeling for 12 weeks. I don't know whether it's different for a resurfacing..

I lifted/moved a vacuum cleaner yesterday and have had quite a bad ache in my hip all through the night and continuing today.. so have rested quite a bit today..

The good thing about resting is that my ankle/leg is not as swollen today - but I have not tried the tight aid again yet - will leave that for during the week I think.

It's so easy to set things off (muscles or new joint - I have trouble distinguishing where the ache comes from) - can't wait for 12 weeks to pass..

Best wishes

Marion

Bes
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I know with TKR kneeling is out of the question a big no no I also have had a THR and believe it or not never tried to kneel since having it done your best bet is to ask your physio or consultant when you go for a check up
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    Hope you have had a nice day.. I have checked my hospital leaflet and it says no kneeling for 12 weeks. I don't know whether it's different for a resurfacing..
    I wouldn't have tried if I was breaking the 90 degree rule and I did high-kneeling ... but will ask the physio what she thinks about it all on Friday, before trying it again.
    I lifted/moved a vacuum cleaner yesterday and have had quite a bad ache in my hip all through the night and continuing today.. so have rested quite a bit today..
    Now who needs to be careful!! So tempting to try things especially when not reminded by pain, that it might not be a good thing to try ... Can you check your leaflet about lifting things as it would be interesting to know what it says. I have been avoiding this where possible/making adjustments/limiting what I lift in one go, but it would be good to know more.
    The good thing about resting is that my ankle/leg is not as swollen today - but I have not tried the tight aid again yet - will leave that for during the week I think.
    So maybe you are overdoing it a little and need to schedule in a bit more resting into each day.
    It's so easy to set things off (muscles or new joint - I have trouble distinguishing where the ache comes from) - can't wait for 12 weeks to pass..
    I think most of the aches I get are in my muscles. Must be for you too - as your new joint is made of metal/ceramic or whatever, I suppose the only way the ache could be in the bones would be if you had pain where the prosethesis(sp?) is implanted into the bone.

I hope you have a better night.

Speedy

PS are all your restrictions for 12 weeks - sleeping on your side, getting in the bath, kneeling, reducing sticks, bending more than 90 degrees, driving? (are there any more?!)
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    wendgro wrote:
    I know with TKR kneeling is out of the question a big no no I also have had a THR and believe it or not never tried to kneel since having it done your best bet is to ask your physio or consultant when you go for a check up

Hi Wendy, does that mean you are never allowed to kneel after having a TKR? Wow!! How do you manage? Which op did you have done first?

Speedy
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    wendgro wrote:

I can kneel fine and I have had 2 total knee replacements and I find it comfortable. :D:D:D:D I don't mean bum on back of calves and ankles though. Cannot do that. :):wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I haven't knelt since 1997. No knee replacements or nuffink, just can't do it. It does cause priblems (strewth! typing sath afreekan)when I need something from the back of a cupboard, but have now learned to do without whatever I wanted.

speedy, please be careful. Lots of people have done lots of stuff to make your hip better, including you so, don't bu***r it up now! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • biddybeth
    biddybeth Member Posts: 45
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    wendgro wrote:

Hi Wendy, does that mean you are never allowed to kneel after having a TKR? Wow!! How do you manage? Which op did you have done first?

Speedy

Hi Speedy, I can't kneel at all. Tried it once, and had to wait for my husband to get back from the shops to lift me up, but then, my femur was shattered and a replacement wired to my false hip, so maybe I'm an exception. Please don't take risks. Beth x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    I weas told at my 6 week appointment.....not to sit on a low stool to get at low cupboards or anything like that but I could kneel. preferably on the operated one and the other leg, foot on the ground...does that make sense ????? He also said I could kneel on both knees {very gingerly} I'm sure those arent the words he used but you get my meaning.....just dont break the 90 degree rule getting up. when and if I do it I'm always beside some furniture or something so that I can lever myself up again.....
    going back to the muscle {was that Marion ..sorry cant remember} I am wakened up at night with pain but not really sure where the pain is coming from.....I think a lot of it is muscle...glad someone else isnt sure LOL Sounded so stupid when I said that to my consultant
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    wendgro wrote:

I can kneel fine and I have had 2 total knee replacements and I find it comfortable. :D:D:D:D I don't mean bum on back of calves and ankles though. Cannot do that. :):wink:

Elna x

Hi Elna, after my last THR I couldn't rest back on my heels either. I used to have to put cushions on my calves and rest back on those. Bit by bit I used less cushions and finally got there ... I think though it is very different for TKR though.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    I haven't knelt since 1997. No knee replacements or nuffink, just can't do it. It does cause priblems (strewth! typing sath afreekan)when I need something from the back of a cupboard, but have now learned to do without whatever I wanted
    Yes, that has been my strategy recently too.
    speedy, please be careful. Lots of people have done lots of stuff to make your hip better, including you so, don't bu***r it up now! DD
    I won't! I was very careful, I planned the movements needed in advance to get down and up again so that no rules were broken. I did it very slowly and by the work top to help lever back up again. I stayed upright high kneeling. You are all making me think it was a bit reckless now ... but it was carefully executed. After Marion quoted her leaflet at me, I won't repeat the exercise until I have checked with the medics.

Speedy

PS better start writing out my list of questions for the consultant on Thurs - hope he's not a kill joy!!
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Speedy, I can't kneel at all. Tried it once, and had to wait for my husband to get back from the shops to lift me up, but then, my femur was shattered and a replacement wired to my false hip, so maybe I'm an exception. Please don't take risks. Beth x
    Hi Beth, sounds like you have to take great care of that hip ... they would struggle to bodge-repair it anymore. You do very well to cope with it.

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Speedy
    I weas told at my 6 week appointment.....not to sit on a low stool to get at low cupboards or anything like that but I could kneel. preferably on the operated one and the other leg, foot on the ground...does that make sense ????? He also said I could kneel on both knees {very gingerly} I'm sure those arent the words he used but you get my meaning.....just dont break the 90 degree rule getting up. when and if I do it I'm always beside some furniture or something so that I can lever myself up again.....
    going back to the muscle {was that Marion ..sorry cant remember} I am wakened up at night with pain but not really sure where the pain is coming from.....I think a lot of it is muscle...glad someone else isnt sure LOL Sounded so stupid when I said that to my consultant
    Love
    Hileena

Thanks Hileena, seems everyone is given different advice!! I'm nearly at 6 weeks now myself!! It will be 6 weeks on Wednesday.

Did you consultant want you to keep the 90 degree rule forever or just for 12 weeks? I ask because I don't keep the 90 degree rule with my other THR ... but it was an atypical op and so wondered what the time limit was. I quite like your consultant - he isn't the cautious type is he?!

Before my new op leg got so painful - that was the leg that I always used to get me up off the floor. As it got worse I had to use the older THR leg - this leg has always been considered my "bad" leg, so getting up and down with that leg as lead, was much harder - I broke the kitchen bin using it as a lever before my op. If S was around he used to haul me up!!

Re the pain thing - that was Marion. I do know what you both mean. I never could tell either. It's only now post op really, that I can tell the difference ...

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    He didnt say..........but |I think I would be very careful for quite a long time.....at least we can kneel....so it doesnt hurt to do it carefully but I suppose like everything else we'll forget after a while and get very casual LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedy

I've looked at the leaflet again and apart for the usual 90 degree rule, no crossing legs, no twisting/pivoting, no sitting in the bath for 12 weeks.. it also says...

No lifting heavy objects (no time scale given here...)
    Avoid heavy housework (no time scale given here ..)
    Do not kneel for 12 weeks following your operation
    No driving until seen in out-patient clinic (for me this is 12 weeks)
    Use both crutches for a minimum of 6 weeks and then gradually wean onto one crutch
    Sleep on back with pillow between legs for at least 6 weeks - after this can try to lie on side (with pillow between legs)

I wonder if, with the kneeling issue, it's about the slight 'twisting' movement,,also putting all the weight on one side whilst one gets up and down... ?

It's good that you can check this out on Friday and let us know the reasoning behind it..

My 'twinge' is a little worying still - and I now think it is more likely to be coming from the tissues round the new joint than muscular .. I will definitely have to take more care tomorrow!

Best wishes

Marion
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi again Speedy

PS - just to confirm - the leaflet says the 90 degree rule is 12 weeks ..

M
  • marion1952
    Options
    Ooh Beth - your hip operation sounds really painful ...

I got stuck last Winter kneeling on a footstool (with my old hip) trying to reach low down to switch on my gas fire....

I think my kneeling days are probably over actually..

Best wishes

Marion
  • speedalong
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi again Speedy

PS - just to confirm - the leaflet says the 90 degree rule is 12 weeks ..

M

Thanks Marion, you are a mine of information.

Speedy

PS can't wait until 12 weeks .... half way there - almost!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Can't resist: Marion, I've never sat in a bath for twelve weeks. It's too long, I'd get bored! DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Marion, Yes take care.....I'm pretty sure I've pulled a muscle in my side hope thats all it is. Sometimes during the night when I waken...{dont stay awake for long} cant figure out if it is muscle down the front of my leg or where its coming from. A new hip....you wouldnt think we would have any pain LOL
    Isnt it weird about the different instructions from different hospitals, even different consultants in the same hospital.
    Love
    Hileena
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi DD - I left myself wide open for that one! didn't I!

Best wishes

Marion
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Hileena

You were up early this morning ... Presumably that's due to the pain?

Yes, it's difficult to know where the pain is coming from.. I am very annoyed with myself - my new hip does not seem any better this morning,, it's still aching quite a lot.. I am pretty sure it's coming from the tissues around the joint, rather than muscles.. I will have another restful day today and see if that helps..

Hope yours settles down soon..

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yep, and nobody else was rude enough to point it out! Hope you are having a reasonable day today. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    I'm usually up at that time {well at the computer, drinking my first cuppa, still in my PJ's LOL} just recently i havent felt like going on the computer so early.
    I took the dreaded tablet last night at 9pm and only woke once for a short time and feel OK today....now debating whether to just have codeine tonight and then the dreaded tablet tomorrow again
    You have a resful day

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,945
    Options
    Hi Speedlong.
    i have thr and tkr on oppisite sides and i can kneel if i have a cushion under my knee.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Marion and DD for making me laugh.

Hileena hope pain goes away soon.

Thanks Joan for the info.

Speedy