kettle upstairs .... any ideas for milk?

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 25. Jun 2010, 19:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI folks,

odd question in some ways but I have a kettle and drink-making stuff upstairs so that
1) I don't have to struggle to carry a hot drink up the stairs
2) I don't have to struggle down and up the stairs when I want a drink on those really bad days.

only problem is that I like coffee and tea with milk in ..... and that isn't so easily solved. Until recently I used to keep little tubs of evaporated milk upstairs for the odd times they were needed, but it appears that our Morrisons have stopped stocking them :roll: and I'm almost out of stock.

If I know in advance I am going to want to make a drink upstairs (like sunday mornings ) then I have a small flask that I can use to put fresh milk in the night before, and that is ok.

It's the occasional 'I want a drink .... can I really face going downstairs to get it' days that I am stuck for. I can't stand the coffee whitener stuff as it is so sweet, and there are days when I can't face my fruit teas either ..... so a bit stuck for ideas.

just wondered if anyone else has a kettle upstairs and what you do for milk?

thanks
Wonky xxxx

Comments

• songbird
    songbird Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wonkylegs

Trying to think of a solution and thought how about asking in a cafe if they would sell you a box of those little pots of HRT milk? They might not have any to spare straight away, but could maybe order in extra for you?

Failing that, how about keeping a wee goat in your bathroom?

Songbird x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    songbird wrote:
    Hi Wonkylegs

Trying to think of a solution and thought how about asking in a cafe if they would sell you a box of those little pots of HRT milk? They might not have any to spare straight away, but could maybe order in extra for you?

Failing that, how about keeping a wee goat in your bathroom?

Songbird x

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: OH SOngbird you ahve made me smile - thanks :wink:

not sure littlelegs (our dog) would cope with the goat but it might be an idea :wink: may ask Skezier if she knows of one going spare!!

I have seen the little pots of UHT milk in office catalogues but you usually have to buy so many that I'd be drinking on the hour every hour to use them up before they went off :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol::lol:

the cafe idea might be a good one ...... and I'll keep looking in other shops ...... must be something out there :? :? :?

thanks
    Wonky xxxx
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    What about small cartons of UHT milk. I don't drink milk at all, but make sure I have some of that for when people come round. It keeps forever and I know Morrisons sell it!
  • moggiefan
    moggiefan Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi everyone,

On the thread of keeping milk upstairs---I have one of those small fridges/coolers that I occasionally use. Don't know if you have ever seen them but you can get small ones reasonably cheap in likes of Argos etc. Seen kids use them for cans/cola etc. Some used for in car but if you get an adaptor can be plugged into mains as well as used in cigar lighter in car.

Moggie
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Hi
    what about those individual coffee strips with milk added i have seen in aldi /lidl ? or the ones from H/B that are like the vending machine ones .
    The little fridge is a good idea and then keep uht milk in as it will last longer.
    love the goat in your bathroom idea!
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi

Am sitting here upstairs and your post is very 'current' for me!

Tore 2 tendons in my ankle some weeks ago and am sitting here on my bed, in my 6th week with my leg in plaster after repairs. In the early weeks I was non weight bearing and needed drink making facilities upstairs.

I agree with moggiefan. My son had a tiny fridge in his bedroom for cans and they have them quite cheaply in Arg*s. It took the smallest size bottle of milk, (1 pint), a couple of yogurts and some spread, (had a cheap toaster upstairs too for toast with a cup a soup). Independence at low cost!! Turned tears of frustration for when I was here alone into joy.
    It would definitely solve your problem.

Good luck in the search anyway.

Kaz
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Tesco do little milk tubes like the ones you get on certain train lines.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    kazpaz, how frustrating! You poor thing, I sincerely hope you are on the mend now. Dreamdaisy.

Salamander, I hope you are having a better day too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Oooh Kaz

Are you ok?

Hope things improve soon.

and Wonky

dont try keeping goats in your bedroom.....they eat curtains :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You could try a sheep or a cow. They wouldn't eat the curtains! Seriously, I think a mini-fridge is the way to go. DD
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

When I run out of milk I just use Dried Skimmed Milk such as Marvel which I keep in for bread making. It's very cheap and comes in tubs or bags and is widely available from supermarkets. You can either add it to water and use as milk or put a couple of spoonfuls into your cuppa ....I can't tell the difference between that and 'real' milk.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

This was me a few weeks ago. I had a little kettle upstairs so I could have a cuppa in the morning without having to go downstairs to make it or carry it up the stairs. My friend bought me some of those tea granules with the milk included - I have to say it was an "aquired taste" (UGH!!!) The milk tubes described by Salamander sound great - is that what they are called (I shop online .... so need to know what to type in.) I make S his bedtime drink upstairs too - that's easy - he drinks herbal tea to aid his digestion.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Wonks, if you go to Ebay, and type in "milk portions", you can get thirty little pots for £1 75 plus P&P. I actually got sixty - cost even less - as I find I need at least three each time.

Whilst all the work has been going on at home, I`ve created a bed/sitting room from a large upstairs bedroom. I like it so much, I will keep it, so am going to buy one of the mini fridges suggested by the others. I saw one in Argos for £20.........Much love......Ange.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    kazpaz, how frustrating! You poor thing, I sincerely hope you are on the mend now. Dreamdaisy.

Salamander, I hope you are having a better day too. DD

Bit rubbish today DD, realised depo injection worn off so everything hurting but thanks for asking. Decided to give in and watch the tennis.
    hope you are well.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Train littlelegs to fetch milk when you need it or buy a mini fridge.

Del, are they noisy? - mini fridges, not Littleleg`s! - cos as I`m putting it in a bedroom, that will be a consideration.........Ange.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Wonky,

Would coffee mate do? I keep it for when I run out of milk (cus I forgot to get some again :roll: ) I also have seen the pots that Scattered and Babycham are saying abut and they keep for yonks.

I love Dels idea though.... could we both try and get Little Legs to get it fr you? he said he would drink it :wink: Slurps and (((( )))) Cris xx

Hi Sally,

Sorry your not too good and hope you have a better tomorrow ((( ))) x

Hi Kaz,

Oh that's painful and I so hope it soon mends for you. Cris x

Songbird I think that goat idea is the best :lol::lol::lol::lol: x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    wow :o thank you all sooooooo much!

you've all given me so much to think about :D

I'll look out for the mini pots (or surf the net as Ange suggested) and see what I can find from your suggestions - thanks :D

Also grateful for the dried milk powder suggestion - just wondered do you mix it with cold water first? only I have a bad memory of using dried milk at college and always having 'floaty bits' in my drink :roll:

I like the idea of the mini fridge but wonder, as Ange does, about the noise ......... but def will think about it since I have a few pennies I could spend if I chose to ...... but trying not to get carried away :wink:

Littlelegs was mega impressed Delboy ........ she likes the idea of being an 'assistance dog' but wonders what the pay is like :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: and how many extra treats would she earn :roll: :wink:

Kaz - sorry to hear about your problems but grateful for your personal experience.

and finally ... a huge thank you again. I am SO glad that I am not the only one who has had this 'problem' .... I did wonder if you'd think I was barking mad (well, those of you who know me may have already drawn that conclusion :wink::lol: ) but it seems we are all getting quite good at adapting. :wink:

hugs to everyone who replied & thanks again
    WOnky xxxx
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi Wonky

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Yeh I have a kettle upstairs (as well as a toaster) and supply of breakfast bars, bottle of lucozade, crispbreads, jar of jam,tea bags, coffee have quite a supply, in case I cant get down stairs in a flare.

I use marvel milk or supermarket brand dried milk, find it ok I also have a mini fridge upstairs for fresh milk, (it holds a pint of milk and not much else)but find it noisy and it also cools things that much they turn to ice after a couple of hours, so I tend to stick to the dried milk.

bye for now

lizzie
  • Wonkylegs
    Options

Wonky, I see Lizzie has already mentioned about the noise from the small fridges. I wouldn't be able to have that in the bedroom (I can hear a watch ticking 2 miles away) :roll:

me too! :roll: :roll:
    Do you have a coolbox? Could you get spare ice packs for it and always have a couple in the freezer, so you can swap them each night, and have fresh milk in the box? I'm not a lover of dried milk myself (yes, the floaty bits - not so bad if you mix it first).

cool box is a possible .... BUT ..... our freezer is in the garage which is outside (as in not joined to the house before you all laugh at me
    :wink: ) so that is less likely to get done .... I tend to use hubby to get things out of the freezer :lol::lol:

I'm going to do some thinking and some detective work and I'll get back to you all!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Also grateful for the dried milk powder suggestion - just wondered do you mix it with cold water first? only I have a bad memory of using dried milk at college and always having 'floaty bits' in my drink

Hi again, I seem to recall that if you make the hot drink as normal ie boiling water on the tea bag ... let it infuse properly, add a little cool water to lower the temperature of the tea slightly and then stir in powdered milk - it shouldn't have lumps or floaty bits ....

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Sudden thought about mini-fridge: de-frosting. How? DD
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, We keep an emergency tin of dried milk in as we have no shops for 4 miles! I don't mind it, but Jerry's not so keen, nees must sometimes! :lol:
    Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    You could try a sheep or a cow. They wouldn't eat the curtains! Seriously, I think a mini-fridge is the way to go. DD

You sure??

Ok maybe so....
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I always keep a sully of dried milk in. Always good for an emergency, i.e. cannot get out of house but also good for making own bread in bread machine. Not so keen though for boiling it. Certainly easier to carry than a couple of cartons.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I don't suppose it would be possible to buy a very small fridge, like we had in an office I worked in? Maybe second hand. Or is that going to cost too much. Maybe keep your eyes open for something like that in the second hand notices or ebay?
    Hope you solve the problem, love Sue :D