Favourite / and least favourite regional British accent

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 3. Sep 2010, 11:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Did have a Brummie boyfriend briefly but not too keen on the accent but you know theres a few on the forum so dont want to upset anyone. Favourites are West country and Irish.Beautiful,
However OH is a Londoner and I do take the MIck often as it can grate....Page your okay its the blokes voices that go through me.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dorset my fave geordy can not understand them lol
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    I really like all accents, because they make people more interesting. How boring if we all sounded the same!

Some accents, like the Welsh and Irish, seem to have an almost musical lilt to them, and others, like a West country accent, have a wonderful warmth about them.

My accent is a mixture of Yorkshire, where I grew up, and Derbyshire, where I live now. Northern accents make me feel at home, but I love to hear accents from all around the country, Birmingham and West Midlands included.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson

Talking of accents, why do Australians when they speak always seem to end any and all sentences as if they are asking a question ?

It's not just Australians. I think it is a growing trend in this country too. I have noticed it among young people particularly.
  • joanlawson
    Hi Alan

Accents are a reflection of society, so as society changes, accents are bound to change too. It is sad if this means that some regional accents are lost though.

I am always amazed at how accents change in the space of only a few miles. If I go to Litchfield, which isn't very far from here, the accent is totally different.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I'm not sure if I have a favourite or even a proper one of my own but I am fond of Geordie (where I have lived for past 13yrs) and Somerset (where I grew up ) both sound very comforting although a very strong Geordie does sound like a foreign accent.

I can’t stand Scouse ...but thats due to a very annoying and loud neighbour I used to have and Wolverhampton (my nephew is currently developing this one) , both grate but I think its more to do with the associations rather than the actual places.

Internationally not a big fan of the South African accent as half my family is from there and it grates when my mum lapses into it every now and then. World cup coverage has been a nightmare. The only saving grace is to watch how livid my mum goes when people ask what part of Australia she comes from.
    Chrissie
  • joanlawson
    You can hear Richard Burton on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgMRD84MTQY
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    tkachev wrote:
    Did have a Brummie boyfriend briefly but not too keen on the accent but you know theres a few on the forum so dont want to upset anyone. Favourites are West country and Irish.Beautiful,
    However OH is a Londoner and I do take the MIck often as it can grate....Page your okay its the blokes voices that go through me.

Elizabeth

:wink: Ah Elizabeth

We am proper yam yams here :wink:

My fav is irish as you all know
    fair makes me go weak at the knees :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Richard Burton's 1954 youtube version is better...he hasn't totally lost his Welsh accent in that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2Kvqlms

I recorded the intro to Under Milk Wood for a relaxation tape once, for an EPP Group....they made me because they liked my accent - I think they meant it put them to sleep lol

Jeanxxx :lol:
  • gordie57
    gordie57 Member Posts: 5
    Hi ,

Well , I agree abt the Liverpool accent but I quite like the brummie.It's almost melodic , pity it's not English .Or , is it?

Gordie
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    I have an Irish accent set on my sat nav as i like the sound of it although not all passengers think the same.
    Yes, interesting point about Yorkshire accents etc and being trustworthy, its funny isnt it. I would trust a call centre too with that accent as opposed to maybe a Southern accent.
    I have also noticed some people try to put on a stronger accent then their natural way of speaking as they think its cool or something, I dont like that.
    I find the woman who does the weather on bbc with blonde hair, is it welsh or scottish? and sian who does the weather, are so smooth that i dont remember any of what they say as it makes me sleepy.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth

I'll put my posh voice on next time i see you Elizabeth and try to talk proper :lol: :oops:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    page35 wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

Elizabeth

I'll put my posh voice on next time i see you Elizabeth and try to talk proper :lol: :oops:

Yes next time one visits keep ones white gloves on.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Am yow pair posh then? :shock:
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    I don't think I've ever had an accent I didn't like.
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Huvnae noticed minae folk sayin much aboot oor guid Scottish accent .

A think as a new poster al hiv tae edjucate a few oon here, no whit a mean an that? :lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412

A think as a new poster al hiv tae edjucate a few oon here, no whit a mean an that? :lol::lol:

Elna like this :D:lol:
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi, I always end up adopting the accents of those I'm with ... not on purpose ... I can't help it!! Evidently I love scottish accents but couldn't say which region - I have a lovely mediation on my IPOD by - Bodhipaksa - ooh I love his voice!! Oh yes and Yorkshire. Can't understand a lot strong Welsh accents.

I have a bit of a brummy accent ... makes my family and friends laugh (especially the southerns) but real brummies don't think I sound very brummy at all ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, I always end up adopting the accents of those I'm with ... not on purpose ... I can't help it!! Evidently I love scottish accents but couldn't say which region - I have a lovely mediation on my IPOD by - Bodhipaksa - ooh I love his voice!! Oh yes and Yorkshire. Can't understand a lot strong Welsh accents.

I have a bit of a brummy accent ... makes my family and friends laugh (especially the southerns) but real brummies don't think I sound very brummy at all ...

Speedy

No - you is posh!!
  • frogmorton

Well halooo there William

I havte say a loved your wee accent verry moch :D

Toni xx

Who likes trying to write regional accents bacdly :wink:
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    i love the staffordshire accent this is because of my boyfriend he's from near cannock and has this accent, it sounds so friendly and everytime i hear it i feel at home, even though i'm from nottingham.
    at work one of my workmates is from the same village as him and a child has also moved to the derby from near there so i hear it at work everyday.

my least favourite is the liverpudlian accent particularly from women. i don't know why.

I don't have an accent really, its known as a neutral accent as its difficult to work out where i'm from. nottingham does have its own dialect though, i don't speak in it but if i read it or hear it i understand it.
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • frogmorton
    Hi Loopy :D

Thank you for liking our Cannock accents!! That'll be a first :wink:

Nlow I do like Nottingham accents....

Love

Toni xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Everyone, I just adore Welsh and Irish accents, I gp weak at the knees, this might be a strange one for you but I am a Londoner, I hate my own accent, as soon as I say something people say "I know where you where born" love Jaspercatxx
  • frogmorton
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi Everyone, I just adore Welsh and Irish accents, I gp weak at the knees, this might be a strange one for you but I am a Londoner, I hate my own accent, as soon as I say something people say "I know where you where born" love Jaspercatxx

YES YES!

Jasper a sultry Irish accent........

oooh I've come all over faint......
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    no problem toni :D
    lol about liking the nottingham accent!
    i don't have an accent really, i'm near the derbyshire border so not very influenced by the nottingham accent. the further north you go in nottinghamshire the more of an accent you hear, it's probably to do with the fact you get closer to yorkshire the further you go and the north nottingham accent is very influenced by the yorkshire accent.
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Love the Brummie accent Met so many nice people from that area such warm and friendly voices