Wearing anti embolism stockings

Options

Comments

• mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks Marion

Going to start the night off wearing them as it is much cooler.

Think I over did the walking about today but determined to give my blood every chance at staying thin!

Mike :)
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Marion,
    thanks for summarising article.

Mike,
    It's easy to overdo it and you never can tell until after the event - when it's too late. I think you are very wise to wear them as much as you can bear as it is still early days.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Mike

Oh -no - just heard on the local news about a lady of 39 who died in A & E from a DVT 2 weeks after having an operation on a broken toe .. !!

It's so easy to overdo it in the early weeks post-op... I think we have all done that and suffered the following day! Sometimes it feels like 'one step forwards and two steps back' - but I would say after 6 weeks you start having more forward steps and fewer backward steps!!

Hope you feel better after some rest..

best wishes

Marion
  • mjking
    Options
    Love this cold weather! Managed to sleep (on and off) with stockings ON last night until 3:45 AM.

Longest period yet!

Mike :lol:
  • patriciamary
    patriciamary Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi mjking, I know what you are going through, I had similar situation with the stockings. I found that putting baby talc all over my legs before putting stockings on helped get then on easier. Also put baby talc on again before going to bed and found this helped to alleviate the tight feeling when I was trying to sleep.
    Regards
    Trisha
  • mjking
    Options
    Thanks Trisha

I'll give it a try. How long did you keep them on after your op?

Mike

:)
  • mjking
    Options
    Just to conclude this:

I've stopped wearing the stockings at night now for about 2 weeks - so 3 weeks after the actual operation.

Since returning home, I've been pretty active from day 1, never staying in bed during the day nor sitting in my (raised up!) chair all day either.

Done my exercises on time,all the time, including when I wake up during the night.

Walk about in my garden from very early on and lately on the paths near my house.

Swelling in leg went down after about a week and never returned.

Never smoked though am a little over-weight (though loosing weight since the op!)

Wear stockings from about 6.45 am until go to bed at about 10.30 - 11.00 pm.

This has allowed me to get some sleep and, on balance, I think its a good trade off ....

Mike :D
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Sounds good to me Mike ..

Marion
  • moogiemouse1
    moogiemouse1 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    I had the knee length ones last year when I had my hip repaired, unfortunately it was in August and they drove me mad!!
    When I had my left hip done six weeks ago I had these like thick inflatable straps placed around my feet that filled with air every five seconds and then slowly deflated, this was to stimulate the circulation and make my body think I was walking!! This along with an anti coagulant tablet that I took for four weeks meant I didn't have to have those hideous stockings - they were kind of comforting to - like a foot massage!
  • mjking
    Options
    Having spent a lot of time searching on the net re wearing the stockings its clear there is no standard view on when/if/how long toi wear them!

I've even come across surgeons in the same hospital with diferring views on the subject.

All I know is I simply couldn't sleep in them!

Mike
  • mjking
    Options
    Final word on this - last Monday was 5 weeks from my op and I was away for a week in Brixham.

Spent most days walking and didn't wear my stockings at all, apart from on the drive down.

Haven't worn them since I got back and don't intend to again unless my surgeon tells me to when we meet for my first check up since the op, this coming Tuesday.

Don't miss 'um at all!! :D
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    mjking wrote:
    Final word on this - last Monday was 5 weeks from my op and I was away for a week in Brixham.

Spent most days walking and didn't wear my stockings at all, apart from on the drive down.

Haven't worn them since I got back and don't intend to again unless my surgeon tells me to when we meet for my first check up since the op, this coming Tuesday.

Don't miss 'um at all!! :D

However, they are great in winter as keep legs warm but are a devil of a job to get on and off!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good luck with the check up on Tuesday, mj. I hope he's pleased and you can consign the dreaded things to the bin! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mjking
    Options
    Question is, do I wear them when I see him???? :?:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You had better be a good boy - put them on! DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Mike, I'm meant to still be wearing mine - right up to 14 weeks and my next appointment!!! Will I put them on for my appointment - NO CHANCE!!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are just a glamour-puss! How are the earbrows? DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    I love cyber-world - me a glamour-puss!?!?!

Earbrows are curling nicely!!

Speedy
  • mjking
    Options
    I probably will wear them - only trouble is both pairs need washing!

Mike
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    Good luck with your appointment. Hope all goes well for you.

P.S. If you hang out the washing around 6am the neighbours will not know if it was you. Well that is what my hubby does. Says he can keep his street cred that way. :lol::lol:
  • mjking
    Options
    Re your PS -

P.S. If you hang out the washing around 6am the neighbours will not know if it was you. Well that is what my hubby does. Says he can keep his street cred that way. :lol: :lol

:D
  • mjking
    Options
    Got the all clear yesterday not to have to wear the stockings anymore!

Result!

Mike

:D
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh! You are no longer a sex god then? I am most disappointed. DD (a woman with a strange fetish) :shock:

Seriously, that is good news. I am pleased for you - they are truly horrible things.
  • mjking
    Options
    Thanks DD!

Now all I need is to be able to sleep on my back!

How are you doing now?

Mike
  • Gigi05
    Gigi05 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have joined the forum after hearing I am not the only one suffering in the heat due to wearing thigh high anti embolism stockings. They are driving me nuts, keeping me awake and really getting me down. I had a half knee replacement on the 28 th June. I had injections in hospital and came home with tablets which I've now finished taking. I am widowed so live on my own and am entirely dependent on people coming in to take them off me so I can shower. The op went really well, I have excellent movement and bend, these wretched things are the only bug bear. Today I feel like cutting them off!