Abuse of Disabled Parking Bays By Non Badge Holders

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 24. Jul 2010, 06:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I was in town this morning and got last space in my favourite disabled parking bay where you can park for 3 hours with your blue badge and disc. Anyway, there was a traffic warden booking a black jeep next to me (there was no blue badge displayed). As I got out of my car I commented that I wished they would catch all the kids who use the bay also for McDonalds use (which is also opposite bay) and told him even if you asked them to move they were abusive. He told me they do as much as they can to get people abusing this but if I see someone who is contravening use of a disabled bay again, take photographic evidence, send it to them and they can still be prosecuted. I didnt know this fact and while I accept that some people do just nip out into town, I think if they are able bodied and not depriving someone else of a parking space who needs it, then they should be prosecuted. Oh and out of interest, mr black jeep had nipped out to but a golf shirt, still got fined mind you.

Just thought would pass this info onto you all....

Elaine

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi elaine

Well I didn't know that either!!!

good to know.

Thanks for that let's hope we all have our phone cameras reday from now on - who do we write to|?

Love

Toni xx
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi All

I was in town this morning and got last space in my favourite disabled parking bay where you can park for 3 hours with your blue badge and disc....

Elaine

just out of interest how long did you park for?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I parked for an hour
    Hi All

I was in town this morning and got last space in my favourite disabled parking bay where you can park for 3 hours with your blue badge and disc....

Elaine

just out of interest how long did you park for?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Toni

Well I reckon it would be the council as when have had parking tickets many moons ago they are issued by the district council.....A council website would tell you your local address....

Elaine
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi elaine

Well I didn't know that either!!!

good to know.

Thanks for that let's hope we all have our phone cameras reday from now on - who do we write to|?

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elaine, this drives me mad too. An agile women with no blue badge jumped out of her 4 wheel drive - parked in a disabled bay - because it was nearer to Next the other day ... An over weight able bodied man and his overweight son, with no blue badge parked in the disabled spot nearest the supermarket entrance the other day ... the exercise of walking from the far end of the carpark might have been a step in the right direction ...

DD warned my I would get blue badge rage!!

Don't have a jazzy camera-mobile phone or would be sorely tempted to snap away!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have been known to point out to those that flout the rules and regulations that mental disability is not a valid reason for parking in a marked bay. Neither is having a small male member. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oooh DD

You please be careful - there are some REALLY nasty people out there :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have been known to point out to those that flout the rules and regulations that mental disability is not a valid reason for parking in a marked bay. Neither is having a small male member. DD

:lol::lol::lol:

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Im not saying you take the law into your own hands....All im pointing out is something I didnt know.....There are too many nasty people out there who would happily do you harm if you interfere so I would take photo but wait till they were out of sight.......
    dreamdaisy wrote:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

Oh I know its really annoying aint it.....We live near a primary school too and it gets me how many of these mothers come to pick up one kid in a great big jeep with bullbars, landrovers/rangerovers..etc.....They all block our cul de sac a lot of times and are abusive if we ask them to move if we need to go out...Some people think cos they pay their road tax it gives them the god given right too do anything they please....

elaine
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Elaine, this drives me mad too. An agile women with no blue badge jumped out of her 4 wheel drive - parked in a disabled bay - because it was nearer to Next the other day ... An over weight able bodied man and his overweight son, with no blue badge parked in the disabled spot nearest the supermarket entrance the other day ... the exercise of walking from the far end of the carpark might have been a step in the right direction ...

DD warned my I would get blue badge rage!!

Don't have a jazzy camera-mobile phone or would be sorely tempted to snap away!!

Speedy
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I suspect the fact that I am staggering along on two crutches, therefore clearly a candidate for the space they have thoughtlessly used, tends to inhibit any nasty response. People don't like being caught out, but that won't stop them being lazy b*****ds. Tyre slashing could be another option, I suppose, or letting down more than one tyre, but then they'd be stuck in the space so not a good idea really . . . . . .
  • speedalong
    Options
    My Dad has a blue badge too and he has been known to park infront of the bay, blocking them in .... they seem to find this quite annoying!!

Speedy
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I get where you are coming from but I still think you are playing a very dangerous game here...Crutches or no crutches, in this day and age some idiot will turn on you, we hear about this too many times in papers etc, people sticking up for their rights are picked on........Plus why get your blood pressure up so much when if you take a photograph and send it to authority can be so much more easier?
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I suspect the fact that I am staggering along on two crutches, therefore clearly a candidate for the space they have thoughtlessly used, tends to inhibit any nasty response. People don't like being caught out, but that won't stop them being lazy b*****ds. Tyre slashing could be another option, I suppose, or letting down more than one tyre, but then they'd be stuck in the space so not a good idea really . . . . . .
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Gosh

As would anyone, disabled or not??!!!
    speedalong wrote:
    My Dad has a blue badge too and he has been known to park infront of the bay, blocking them in .... they seem to find this quite annoying!!

Speedy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've not got a badge and I don't park in disabled bays, but it may be worth saying that although no badge is displayed, it may be that the person who used that spot had an illness, or an urgent appointment and saw that as the only way. When I was recovering from surgery it used to annoy me that, although unable to walk very far and the disabled spaces were free most of the day, I wasn't supposed to use them. Well, I did have to a few times and it was that or miss a medical appointment, so I took the risk. Sometimes their is a reason why people do things like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its right to use them as normal parking spaces, but sometimes it goes a little deeper than it frist seems.
    Love Sue
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well as displayed in my original message the man was getting a golf shirt so that wasnt the case today.......And when I see the teenagers stuffing their faces with Big Macs and on their Blackberrys its cos they cant be bothered to park elsewhere......
    I suppose in a supermarket car park you may get away with parking in these bays...I mean if i go with my dad who is 78, I am 41 are we not parent and child too?????Lol.....But we dont, out of respect for the people who need to used these spaces....The point you make about using these spaces when you have no permit is unneccessary really and if you are ill then surely the last place you should be is driving a car, surely be safe and get a taxi etc? Also all you have to pay for the blue badge is £3.00, isnt that worth it? I dont feel, the way I see it we have to abide by rules, if we dont then the world would be chaos.

Elaine
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I've not got a badge and I don't park in disabled bays, but it may be worth saying that although no badge is displayed, it may be that the person who used that spot had an illness, or an urgent appointment and saw that as the only way. When I was recovering from surgery it used to annoy me that, although unable to walk very far and the disabled spaces were free most of the day, I wasn't supposed to use them. Well, I did have to a few times and it was that or miss a medical appointment, so I took the risk. Sometimes their is a reason why people do things like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think its right to use them as normal parking spaces, but sometimes it goes a little deeper than it frist seems.
    Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

You would think these people would be embarrased about taking a disabled space but they're not. It's jolly annoying when I see people abusing the system. I'll ensure I take some photos the next time I see it!

Sharmaine
    Hi All

I was in town this morning and got last space in my favourite disabled parking bay where you can park for 3 hours with your blue badge and disc. Anyway, there was a traffic warden booking a black jeep next to me (there was no blue badge displayed). As I got out of my car I commented that I wished they would catch all the kids who use the bay also for McDonalds use (which is also opposite bay) and told him even if you asked them to move they were abusive. He told me they do as much as they can to get people abusing this but if I see someone who is contravening use of a disabled bay again, take photographic evidence, send it to them and they can still be prosecuted. I didnt know this fact and while I accept that some people do just nip out into town, I think if they are able bodied and not depriving someone else of a parking space who needs it, then they should be prosecuted. Oh and out of interest, mr black jeep had nipped out to but a golf shirt, still got fined mind you.

Just thought would pass this info onto you all....

Elaine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Shame is a lost emotion. Parking in a marked bay, when you are not qualified so to do reeks of arrogance and selfishness, whatever the reason. One day they might well have a badge themselves (oh how I hope so) and then they will learn how distressing it can be when, having a bad day with mobility and pain, they find themselves having to yomp across a car park because the disabled spots are taken by gits with no brains (female) small willies (male) and no blue badge (both genders). Only when one has a blue badge does one truly understand the frustration and anger this can cause. DD
  • kickyloo
    kickyloo Member Posts: 66
    Options
    I feel quite conflicted on this topic. I do agree with Sue, sometimes things are not always what they seem.

I find it enraging too, probably stemmed from growing up with my Dad in a wheelchair and an exciting day out was going to a supermarket for 30 mins. I have a habit where I like to see if people have a BB displayed - even though it is not really any of my business!

I seem to find my condition fluctuates so much from struggling to walk (being so slow, in pain and using a stick) to not being too bad and although a bit uncomfortable if I pace myself I could walk for a while and you would never know looking at me. I don't have a blue badge as it's not just a case of paying £3, it's getting supportive evidence of how much you can/ can't walk. As I can vary so much I don't think that I would qualify. But God, sometimes it would be so wonderful to be able to park close and limit my walking and I wish I could use a bay on those days. But still I don't dare! As I say, probably some in-built moral code. But just because I'm having a flare up I shouldn't have to limit going out - it's bad enough as it is without taking away my freedom.

woodbon wrote:

Love Sue
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Kickyloo, no harm in applying and using it on bad days only.

Elaine, I was with my Dad years ago when he blocked someone in. We were both on crutches - he has had severe mobility problems for years, I a few weeks post-op from THR and non-weight bearing.... we were out for essential supplies. The person who had parked (and was blocked in by my Dad's car) was just trying to save time. We couldn't park in an ordinary space because neither of us could get out the car unless we had a wide bay allowing us to open the car doors wide - I feel he was well justified!! The other person had the option of saving time BY RUNNING OR WALKING FASTER!!

Speedy

PS they came out the supermarket carrying some bottles of pop!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Kickyloo, if you have bad days when your mobility is severely complromised, then you qualify. On better days don't use the BB, on bad days the option is there and energy saved for other stuff.

I've had my badge since 2003 and I wouldn't be without it. On the rare occasions when things pass for 'good' then I don't use it, I park in a normal space because I can get out of the car with some ease. On the other rubbish days (far more plentiful) then I do need the extra space to maneouvre - as my transformation into Hattie Jacques continues it's as though my Micra is giving birth to an ocean liner! DD
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    kickyloo wrote:
    I don't have a blue badge as it's not just a case of paying £3, it's getting supportive evidence of how much you can/ can't walk.
    blue Badges and their use/abuse can be a very emotive subject. I did some research a few years back for the need for disabled parking spaces and the final allocation was 20% which fitted with the number of badge holders in the area (1 in 5 households). What I didn't consider at the time was the ratio of discretionary badges. In our area the only way to get a discretionary badge is by a GP signing it off. Although the rules state that a badge cannot be given purely on the basis of fragility of age it appears from the latest figures that 73% of holders are aged over 65 and only 19% are in receipt of higher rate DLA. It would be a fair assumption from these figures that the system is being abused somewhat. I have to plan my visits to Post office etc carefully on days when I'm sore and will often come home again rather than park further away. So yes I can understand the annoyance of badge holders finding bays full of non holders but conversely it can grate to see badge holders parking and taking their dogs for a walk.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    I dont actually have a BB but my mother does, a few years ago we had been on a long journey and we stopped at motorway services, all the disabled spaces were taken by non BB holders... I did complain but was told there was nothing they could do about it!!!

As i said earlier i dont have a BB but thinking more and more about trying to get one, i have difficulty getting in and out of the car in usual sized spaces, and even more so if some inconsiderate person parks to close to open my doors wide enough. :cry:

I also have the bad habbit of walking past cars in disabled bays looking to see if they have BB :oops:

Mark
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I didn't consider at the time was the ratio of discretionary badges. In our area the only way to get a discretionary badge is by a GP signing it off. Although the rules state that a badge cannot be given purely on the basis of fragility of age it appears from the latest figures that 73% of holders are aged over 65 and only 19% are in receipt of higher rate DLA. It would be a fair assumption from these figures that the system is being abused somewhat.

Interesting Silverbeak

Haven't they changed that recently though?? so GPs dont sign the discretionary ones any more??

Also anyone over the age of 65 can't get DLA can they? So their's would have to be discrectionary

I think it's a sad thought - the implication of that (not being able to apply for DLA -Attendance allowance only) could be that all people over 65 will have some degree of loss of mobility or that they 'dont go out'??

When you read all our comments - you have to agree - the system isn't that good :(

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I will just replt in general rather to everyone individually as feeling a tad rough today, had more co prox and anti inflams last night and feel like ive been on a 48 hour bender!!! Plus that and the fact that the lightwieght hoover my mum purchased (i call it toytown), and has a short pipe to use tools, fell over as it normally does when i bend down, today it whacked me right on my hand.....I could throw the damn thing out!! GRRR!!!

Now then Blue Badges....when i applied for mine i saw a doctor, not my own who gave me the county council number, i called up was on the phone for literally 15 mins and then I had the badge within 2 weeks....My dad however when he had his knee op, got messed around by his doc and waited about 4 weeks for his and he needed it more than me......So i dont get DLA, am not over 65 (though feel it plus more on days like these)......I think what we all should do as people is be considerate and respectful, but dont always go like that!!

Also DD i think you need a new idol other than Hattie Jacques, think confident women such as Dawn French, Jo Brand.....rather than a comic figure...

Elaine
    frogmorton wrote:
    I didn't consider at the time was the ratio of discretionary badges. In our area the only way to get a discretionary badge is by a GP signing it off. Although the rules state that a badge cannot be given purely on the basis of fragility of age it appears from the latest figures that 73% of holders are aged over 65 and only 19% are in receipt of higher rate DLA. It would be a fair assumption from these figures that the system is being abused somewhat.

Interesting Silverbeak

Haven't they changed that recently though?? so GPs dont sign the discretionary ones any more??

Also anyone over the age of 65 can't get DLA can they? So their's would have to be discrectionary

I think it's a sad thought - the implication of that (not being able to apply for DLA -Attendance allowance only) could be that all people over 65 will have some degree of loss of mobility or that they 'dont go out'??

When you read all our comments - you have to agree - the system isn't that good :(

Love

Toni xx