Abuse of Disabled Parking Bays By Non Badge Holders

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hmmm, Jo Brand and Dawn French - if my memory serves me right, they are both comediennes, and not particularly good ones either. I prefer Hattie as my role model as she a) looked gorgeous, b) had a lovely speaking voice, c) was a raving alcoholic (working on that one!) and d) was a raving nymphomaniac (also trying to work on that but no man will come near me. Sometimes males show common sense.) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Okay wrong choice then but seems to me when you mention HJ its with as if you dont want to morph into her - thats the way i read it anyway
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hmmm, Jo Brand and Dawn French - if my memory serves me right, they are both comediennes, and not particularly good ones either. I prefer Hattie as my role model as she a) looked gorgeous, b) had a lovely speaking voice, c) was a raving alcoholic (working on that one!) and d) was a raving nymphomaniac (also trying to work on that but no man will come near me. Sometimes males show common sense.) DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Find my thread 'My Consultant Wants me to be Hattie Jacques!' It explains everything! DD
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    Options
    This is something that really annoys me. it has done for yrs, the spaces are there for a reason and an able bodied person has no right to park there!
    I am lucky enough to still be very mobile, I do have bad days but I just find the nearest space I can possibly find to where I am going. I am not going to park in a blue badge space as I don't have a BB.
    I always look and find out how many of the people have a BB.
    One supermarket near me have a barriered area for BB. how it works i'm assumihng is that people have to register their car (or the cars they will travel in) with the supermarket. there is a camera at the barrier. the camera recognises the reg and lets the person in. this is a great idea for places that you will visit frequently as it assures that there will be a space close to the store for you.
    lou
    -x-
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Years ago my brother took his wife, who had a neurological disease, out to town shopping in her wheel chair. He used the badge he'd been given. When he came back he had a ticket and this made him cross, the outcome was that he had some tools in the back of the car, it was an estate car, which he always had as he often had emergency calls to deal with. He was service manager of a large heating firm. The traffic warden said he thought he was working in one of the office buildings nearby. He wasn't , but he council wouldn't accept this, even though he could prove it was not one of his customers. He had to pay. Its just a rotten system. Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It isn't a rotten system, it's a hugely-abused system. Your brother was very unfortunate: surely the badge was in his wife's name, ergo nothing to do with his work. Didn't he think to point that out? And if he did, what was their argument? DD
  • woodbon
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It isn't a rotten system, it's a hugely-abused system. Your brother was very unfortunate: surely the badge was in his wife's name, ergo nothing to do with his work. Didn't he think to point that out? And if he did, what was their argument? DD
    The badge was correct, in the right name and the address. My Sister in Law was too disabled to drive herself, my brother not only wrote, but took the case to court, he did this, not because of the money, he earned a enough, but because this could happen to other people and he hoped to make a point, but no, he lost.

I'm sorry I do disagree, it is a bad system, a good one would not be so easy to abuse.
    Love Sue
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    How unfair. Did your sister-in-law testify?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • silverbreak
    silverbreak Member Posts: 46
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:

Haven't they changed that recently though?? so GPs dont sign the discretionary ones any more??
    When you read all our comments - you have to agree - the system isn't that good :(
    I think it still depends where you live? Our County Council issues BBs and you have to download a form.
    In order to assist the issuing authority to decide whether the applicant is eligible for a Blue Badge this certificate should be completed by your medical practitioner and returned to the local authority in the envelope provided. The ultimate decision to issue or refuse a Blue badge rests entirely with the issuing authority.

I think I might apply just to test the system which seems to be fairly haphazard
  • clairc
    clairc Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I agree the system is abused, but sometimes it's abused by the disabled!

I remember reading 2 letters in the local newspaper a few years ago. One was a complaint from a man who got a parking ticket despite displaying his blue badge correctly. He couldn't understand why because he'd parked on the double yellow lines in the KEEP CLEAR section on the sharp right hand turn into the precinct car park loads of times before and never had a ticket.

Another man complained because he got a ticket for parking in the pedestriansed area for more than the allowed time. You can only park there if you apply for a permit from the council and you must be so severely disabled that you can't use a normal disabled parking space. This man did have health problems but they didn't stop him walking around town for more than 3 hours, including walking half a mile to the other end of town and back to visit a shop and buy 3 carrier bags worth of stuff.

Clair
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Humans will abuse any system, be it expenses, benefits, parking on double yellows, inventing insurance claims, anything you care to mention. It's in our nature. I don't understand people who moan about speed cameras - don't speed. Simples. Rules are there for a reason and it's not rocket science to follow them. It does seem bizarre tho that the court wouldn't listen to woodbon's brother. There is nothing more wonderful, nor more stupid, than a human. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Humans will abuse any system, be it expenses, benefits, parking on double yellows, inventing insurance claims, anything you care to mention. It's in our nature. I don't understand people who moan about speed cameras - don't speed. Simples. Rules are there for a reason and it's not rocket science to follow them. It does seem bizarre tho that the court wouldn't listen to woodbon's brother. There is nothing more wonderful, nor more stupid, than a human. DD

Hhhmph!!

I agree DD

I got my money back when I parked in Cockermouth car Park in Devon.

They ticketed me as blue badge holders do not park free.

This wasnt written on the ticket machine i checked - It was on the one by the loos (not the way out we went because I had checked :(

On return I photographed the machjine and posted it off with two cheques - one for the daily parking charge and one for the fine - wrote a covering letter and asked them to decide which they should cash. In my S.a.e. a week or so later I got a cheque back - the one for the fine :D

I won!!

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well done you! It's always worth challenging these beaurocrats. DD
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 23. Jul 2010, 13:00
    Options
    Well done indeed, Toni!! Glad your letter was opened by a fair-minded person.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    While i do not work and have lots of spare time you have 153 pages of posts so i simply do not have time to trawl through them all to find this post................
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Find my thread 'My Consultant Wants me to be Hattie Jacques!' It explains everything! DD
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    While i do not work and have lots of spare time you have 153 pages of posts so i simply do not have time to trawl through them all to find this post................
    dreamdaisy wrote:

I bumped that thread up for you. It took seconds. I did a search for Hattie Jacques and only two threads came up. An incredibly easy one to find! 8) :lol:
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Well done indeed, Toni!! Glad you're letter was open by a fair-minded person.

Speedy

Fank You Speedy and fank you Daisy

I was pretty pleased with myself too
    g030.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh elaine, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. I thought you were more computer-savvy than me, I always assume people are 'cos I'm a beginner. I didn't mean to imply that you had nothing better to do - I do apologise. How did you find out I have that many pages? Wow! I must stop being so interested in people. DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Toni...
    WoW! that was truly impressive. :!:..I wouldn't have even thought to do that. you is very clever. :mrgreen:

Damsel...don't stop taking an interest in us peeps...we lovesya the way you are. :wink:

Iris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course I won't. I know what it's like to be battling on your own and fun it ain't. I had nine years of non-diagnosis and a miserable time that was. The sarcasm kicked in I'm afraid - it does that from time to time! Ho-hum. DD
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    I did a search for Hattie Jacques and only two threads came up. An incredibly easy one to find! 8) :lol:
    There is a search button in with the others at the top and bottom of forum pages for those who haven't spotted it.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    How unfair. Did your sister-in-law testify?

Speedy

Only by statement, she was too ill to go to court and her speech was only understood by those of us who knew her, she also could only go out when she was feeling well enough to. It was excepted as backed by her consultant neurologist. She also had a degree of dementia by that stage. Life was not easy for any of us, especially her, then. The court showed no compassion, just disbelief in her word and my brothers. Maybe they thought she was too ill to go out, but in fact she went out as much as she felt she could manage, but never very far as long journies where too stressful for her.
    Love Sue
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Just to say that I have not been a member of this site long and I dont know things that maybe other do so please remember this when it comes as second nature to yourself/selves......Whether this is to do with being "savvy" I dont know.......
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Of course I won't. I know what it's like to be battling on your own and fun it ain't. I had nine years of non-diagnosis and a miserable time that was. The sarcasm kicked in I'm afraid - it does that from time to time! Ho-hum. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There is no doubt that your brother and sister-in-law were greatly let down by the judiciary. The intransigence of the courts is unbelievable at times, however, we should have a system for disabled parking. The weak point of any system lies in its administration, and the abuse it will receive at the hands of those who unfairly use it. I couldn't be without my BB. It's essential. DD